Windows 10: Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart?

Discus and support Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I had the suspicion that my fans weren't running. The laptop gets pretty hot sometimes and I didn't feel air or hear the fans. Just to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OctagonalSquare, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart?

Recently I had the suspicion that my fans weren't running. The laptop gets pretty hot sometimes and I didn't feel air or hear the fans. Just to be sure, I downloaded SpeedFan and sure enough both fans registered at 0 rpm. I spilled milk on it back in January; luckily it survived but I think that might be why the fans aren't working now. Since this has likely been going on for months, I'm not too concerned about overheating (I usually have a fan on next to me anyway which helps keep things cool).

However, they don't seem to be totally busted. After a Win 10 update they started working again. Audible, could feel the air, registering at ~900 rpm for one fan and ~400 for the other. Closed it later on, then opened it again to find that the fans were once again nonfunctional. I restarted the laptop and they were back in working condition. So I figured it was an issue with sleep mode or something.

So I shut down the laptop when I was done with it. But when I turned it back on later, the fans didn't work anymore. Again. And I haven't gotten them to come back on since. I swear I can sometimes hear/feel the fans start very briefly when I start/open the laptop only to stop again. So again, I'm thinking they're not completely lost.
    So, is there any way to get them working again permanently without replacing the fans and also preferably without taking anything apart? One possible (but long-shot) fix I found somewhere was to disable C-states in the BIOS but when I go into the BIOS I don't see any option to do so. There was a "Fan on all the time" option but it didn't do anything. I feel like there's gotta be something I could do.

:)

OctagonalSquare, Aug 7, 2017
  2. Rod352 Win User

Laptop working hard after Recent Windows 10 Update.

Installed the most recent update for Windows 10, and now my laptop is working really hard. The fan, which is normally quiet, seems to be in overdrive since the upgrade, and my laptop is getting quite warm. Haven't been doing anything more than casual browsing,
    and for the most part it's been idle. Still no change in fan speed/volume, or heat. Tried two restarts, but nothing has changed. It's bad enough that my computer went from a 30 second start-up(Windows 7) to taking about 5 minutes for it to boot with Windows
    10, but now the new update is making my laptop work a lot harder than it should be. Any thoughts?

Rod352, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Is there any way to get the phone from taking over my radio?

Hi Jay___S,

Welcome to the forum! :catwink:

For which specific phone model is this? If this is for a Lumia WP8, are you using the built-in 'driving mode' app under
    Settings, or a downloaded car mode app from the Store? Has the phone been paired with other Bluetooth devices aside from your Avalon carkit, like car speakers or stereos? Is your phone's software updated when checked under
    Settings > Phone update?

We'll wait for your response. :catembarrassed:

carlogimenez, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart?

The Notebooks I've taken apart to work on or just junked only had 1 fan in them, not much room for more. And there's no other way than to look for a video on the Internet that explains how to do it as there's a lot of differences in assemblies. Most times the fans are attached to copper heatsinks or pipes and may actually be a few inches away from where the CPU is mounted on the motherboard. The disassembly process will leave you with a number of small black screws and involve taking the back/bottom part of the case of, removing the keyboard and maybe the palmrest/touchpad piece. It's not for the faint of heart and one has to be careful in prying the plastic parts away from others. If the fan doesn't work properly it can lead to premature death of the CPU.

Berton, Aug 7, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    what is the make and model # of the laptop? As noted, you can go to Youtube and type in your model# and type Fan Replacement. It will show you a video of how to disassemble the laptop down to the fan. You can get a replacement fan on Ebay.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart?

1. Any way to get my laptop fans to work without taking anything apart? - Similar Threads - laptop fans without

2. Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?: Microsoft has been double billing me for a year but I csan't reach a human to fix it. Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?I have Office 365 through GoDaddy. BUT Microsoft is separately billing me for about a year or more to my credit card. I've tried...
  3. Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?: Microsoft has been double billing me for a year but I csan't reach a human to fix it. Is there any way to get help without suing Microsoft?I have Office 365 through GoDaddy. BUT Microsoft is separately billing me for about a year or more to my credit card. I've tried...
  4. Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart,...: Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart, removing the battery and factory resetting it like most people say?...
  5. Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart,...: Is there any way I can fix my pc you that’s not booting up without taking it apart, removing the battery and factory resetting it like most people say?...
  6. Is there any way to get DirectX Runtime without admin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to get DirectX Runtime without admin?: If this violates the rules,just tell me and I’ll delete the post submitted by /u/MR_ICE_REAL [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mah0ya/is_there_any_way_to_get_directx_runtime_without/
  7. Is there any way to control the fan speed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to control the fan speed?: I use a Mac as well and there is a utility app called Macs Fan Control where you can easily set a custom fan speed. On the other hand, my windows laptops overheats a lot and I'd like to know if there is any way I can increase/decrease the fan speed... If you know a way then...
  8. Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (I can't find the model number), and have Windows 10 installed on it. Earlier today, I opened the inside of my laptop to plug my solid state drive back in, due to a boot device error that I've had to deal with before and have fixed. It turned...
  9. Taking computer apart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taking computer apart: i cant figure out how to take the back off my laptop. i cant find a single article or manual on my specific model on how to take it apart. Im just replacing the hard drive and cant figure out how to get the back panel off. i have an hp pavilion model number 15-cs0064st. I...
  10. My notification area icons are too far apart, any way to fix it?

in Windows 10 Support
    My notification area icons are too far apart, any way to fix it?: I upgraded my computer from W8.1 to W10 recently. I used my taskbar on the left side with the minimum width possible. After upgrading, I noticed that my notiication area icons were all in the same column instead of being spread over two columns as they used to be. Further...