Windows 10: Any way to get to System Information in an external drive?

Discus and support Any way to get to System Information in an external drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like to be able to get to System Information on an externally attached Windows Vista to Windows 10 drive, such as if the disk isn't booting or is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by antonio3535, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Any way to get to System Information in an external drive?

I'd like to be able to get to System Information on an externally attached Windows Vista to Windows 10 drive, such as if the disk isn't booting or is corrupted or has bad sectors.
    Just to be able to know all that info from a damaged drive.

:)

antonio3535, Sep 24, 2019
  2. alljamin Win User

Remove System Volume information folder from external drive

I have currently found out that System Volume information folder on my external HDD takes around 124GB of space. Hence I decided to delete it to free up some additional space. But for now everything what I have tried did not succeeded.

IMPORTANT:

• External hard drive has 1TB capacity and was previously used for backups and creating restore images (not anymore).
    • It's connected via USB 3.0 port.
    • System protected files are displayed.
    • All operations are performed on the clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.
    • Formatted in NTFS
    • I only have one 1TB drive so moving files to another drive will not be an option.

So, what I have tried for now:

All the instructions provided here, meaning:

1. takeown /f "F:\System Volume information" /a /r /d y
    2. icacls "F:\System Volume information" /t /c /grant administrators:F System:F everyone:F
      ("Are you sure?") y
    3. rd /s /q "F:\System Volume information"

This only helped me to delete one of the folders with a bunch of .db files in System Volume information folder. And I get Access denied as previously.

What I also thought of is to create a separate partition on this drive and move all the files there then format the partition with System Volume information and merge partitions back. This did not work quite well as creating new partition also created a System Volume information folder. And it took quite a while to do the partitioning.

I have gone though following posts:

How to delete "System Volume Information" folder from external drives?

How to delete a folder from external drives if names are too long (like System Volume Information/content...)?

Any suggestions guys?

NOTICE: I don't want to use third party software like Unlocker, Eraser or anything similar to these two. There should be a legit way to get rid of the files in Windows without third party software.

alljamin, Sep 24, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Any way to get to System Information in an external drive?

Any way to get to System Information in an external drive?

I'd like to be able to get to System Information on an externally attached Windows Vista to Windows 10 drive, such as if the disk isn't booting or is corrupted or has bad sectors.
    Just to be able to know all that info from a damaged drive.

antonio3535, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Any way to get to System Information in an external drive?

1. Any way to get to System Information in an external drive? - Similar Threads - System Information external

2. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  3. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  4. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. accidentally move folder to "System Volume Information" on a external exfat drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    accidentally move folder to "System Volume Information" on a external exfat drive: si have accidentally move a 430gb folder to the "System Volume Information" folder and i cant delete or move the folder did anyone can help me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-move-folder-to-system-volume/fc2150e0-ff76-4f69-a9c4-26a8c8360f03
  6. PC Hard-drive Information Transfer to External Hard-drive

PC Hard-drive Information Transfer to External Hard-drive: The drive that is in my PC has filled up, so i ordered a new external hard drive but im unsure of how to get some apps onto this drive and to have my computer start to put information onto this external drive....
  7. EDITING EXTERNAL DRIVE INFORMATION

EDITING EXTERNAL DRIVE INFORMATION: HAVE A 2 TB EXTERNAL DRIVE HOOKED UP TO MY DESKTOP. IT HAS MANY FILES FROM OTHER COMPUTERS ON IT THAT I NEED TO EDIT, BUT CAN'T SEAM TO GET RIGHTS TO ALTER ANY INFO EVEN THOUGH I'M THE ADMINISTRATOR. WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING I KNOW IE SECIUITY TABS, CLAIMING OWNERSHIP AND ON...
  8. Any way to get the hostname for an external HDD with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to get the hostname for an external HDD with Windows 10?: Hi, I've got a computer with Windows 10 installed, the software is corrupted but I can access internal files just fine if I attach it's HDD with USB. I'd like to know the hostname for that Windows 10, so I removed the HDD and attached it to another Windows 10 machine I booted...
  9. Move folder from external drive "System Volume Information"

Move folder from external drive "System Volume Information": I ACCIDENTALLY (I own my mistake) moved a large folder (My Data) from "E:\" into the "E:\ System Volume Information\." where "E:\" is my local external hard drive. To try to undo this, I simple try (Logged in as Administrator) >move "E:\System Volume Information\My...
  10. Here's Really easy way to get your system information -

in Windows 10 Support
    Here's Really easy way to get your system information -: Hi there Here's a ridiculously quick and easy way to get the system info. 1) create with notepad a file (any file) with just one line in it say the letter s and save it to your desktop as a type .nfo file. 2) now double click it. You'll get a little panel about a...