Windows 10: Any way to make Home Sharing just work?

Discus and support Any way to make Home Sharing just work? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have to manually restart 'Function discovery Provider Host' service every time I want to share something between home PCs so as to make them mutually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndyRanitzsch, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Any way to make Home Sharing just work?

I have to manually restart 'Function discovery Provider Host' service every time I want to share something between home PCs so as to make them mutually discoverable in my network. This has been happening since an update from May. Is there a way to make it work reliably? How is it possible that home sharing is still so difficult to implement seamlessly?

:)

AndyRanitzsch, Jul 30, 2021
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jul 30, 2021
  4. SUB
    SuB Win User

Any way to make Home Sharing just work?

Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

Thema:

Any way to make Home Sharing just work?

1. Any way to make Home Sharing just work? - Similar Threads - Home Sharing

2. Home Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network File Sharing: Good day everyone,I have a small 2 computer home P2P network defined. Hardware is 1 Dell XPS 8700, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win10 Pro V 21H1. 2nd Computer is a Dell Inspiron-15-3567, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win 10...
  3. How do I authenticate on a home network share?

How do I authenticate on a home network share?: I have a home network with 4 computers all running Windows 10. When I click on "Network" in the file manager I can see the other computers but when I try to scan a shared directory to pull a file off a remote computer I am prompted for "network credentials." What credentials?...
  4. Home network to share files between laptops phone etc.

Home network to share files between laptops phone etc.: Greetings. I have laptops running Win10 Pro, android phone, tablet, plus smart TV and various other devices that are capable of file storage/exchange. NO APPLE PRODUCTS! They are not permitted on my premises, period! Anyway, I would like some input on what the easiest way to...
  5. Is it possible on a home network to share an audio device?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible on a home network to share an audio device?: I recently bought my wife a Sony USB Vinyl record player and it's in the front room, It comes up as Line In, I want to know if there is a way for me to share it so that I can play the audio in the bedroom as well without having to move it....
  6. Home Sharing could not be activated, Error 5507 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Home Sharing could not be activated, Error 5507 in Windows 10: Apple offers a Home Sharing feature through iTunes. It allows you to share, stream, and import media from up to five computers that are connected to your home Wi-Fi network. The option is available through File > Home Sharing > Turn on Home Sharing on iTunes. It may so happen...
  7. Problem with Network Shares/Access between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro

Problem with Network Shares/Access between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro: I have aproblem with one laptop windows 10 Pro accessing network shares on two othermachines with windows 10 Home. My problem: Laptop 1 cannotaccess any shares on Laptop 2 or the Desktop. The Desktop is asking for Windows credentials none have been set orexist. Laptop 2...
  8. Windows 10 file sharing over home private network

Windows 10 file sharing over home private network: I want to be able to access files on my office computer from my laptop. they are both on the same wifi network and I can see the others in network. When I click on the shared file I am told I do not have permission and to contact my administrator. What am I doing wrong?...
  9. Home sharing

Home sharing: This is a basic question, I am not an expert but want to setup am homegroup to share folders and printer over a home network in windows 10. Do some one have an easy solution to do that. I am doing a lot of photo editing with my family and want to plug in a external hard drive...
  10. How to share folders/documents on my Home Network with PCs using local accounts

How to share folders/documents on my Home Network with PCs using local accounts: Hi, I have 4 PSs on my Home Network all using local accounts. 3Pcs are running Win10 Pro PC-1, PC-2, & PC-3 and 1 runs under Win10 Home PC-4.They all have the latest version of Win 10 20H2 and all of them have beenconfigured to share files with Password protection turned...