Windows 10: Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?

Discus and support Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last nite's update or Disk Cleanup has deleted all my User folders I moved to my Data HDD, H:. (So they're not in C:\Users|Mac20 either). (I do have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mustachio, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?

Last nite's update or Disk Cleanup has deleted all my User folders I moved to my Data HDD, H:. (So they're not in C:\Users|Mac20 either). (I do have two 3D Objects in both places oddly.)

Is there a way to recreate them somehow or is the only solution to totally reinstall?

Thanks,

:)

Mustachio, Mar 16, 2019

2. Recreate or fix user account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Since you have mentioned that you had already backed up the file on Drop box and Crashplan, I suggest you to access the respective backplan websites and try to retrieve the user files which are missing. Once you retrieve the files, I suggest you to follow
    the steps below and check if it helps.

a. Log in to a new user profile which was created.

b. Open Documents folder.

c. Click on View, then Click on Options and then select Change Folder and search options.

1.Click
    Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

2. Clear the
    Hide protected operating system filescheck
    box, click Yesto confirm, and
    then click OK

3. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

4. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat
      • Ntuser.dat.log
      • Ntuser.ini
    5. Click the
    Editmenu, and then click
    Copy.
    If you don't see the
    Edit
    menu, press Alt.

6. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

7. Click the
    Editmenu, and then click
    Paste.
    If you don't see the
    Editmenu, press Alt.

8. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

9. If you have e-mail messages in an e-mail program, you must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything
    is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 16, 2019
  3. danielbcn Win User
    Used SYSPREP during install, now want to undo w/o reinstall

Hi Kari,

Thank you very very very much! And sorry for the delay: I lost my way back to the forum. Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall? :)

I'll let you know when I'm done.

Really greatful.

Daniel

danielbcn, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

1. Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall? - Similar Threads - recreate User folders

2. Automatically open notifications w/o user interaction?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatically open notifications w/o user interaction?: Is there a script someone has for something like this? submitted by /u/ItalianDon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tyduf0/automatically_open_notifications_wo_user/
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro w/o losing any data/apps, etc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro w/o losing any data/apps, etc.: Morning all, As stated in the title, I need to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2 (OS build 19042.906) such that my data and apps are not destroyed. I have searched the forum and found two related tutorials: Reinstall Windows 10 with this media and Repair Install...
  4. Is there any way to rename a user folder?

Is there any way to rename a user folder?: I got a new laptop recently and was wondering if there was any not-super-complex way I could rename my user folder to my full name instead of the first 5 letters of my name without losing data. The old laptop I used (also windows 10) had a User folder with my full name so I'm...
  5. Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?

Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?: Photoshop keeps generating undeletable debug.log's (only solution is rebooting which is not ideal) and many of the programs recommended do not seem to work on the latest Win10 build. Surely there's a way to do this natively? submitted by /u/Cinderbike [link] [comments]...
  6. Deleted user folder being recreated.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted user folder being recreated.: Hi All I deleted one of my users. However old folder is being recreated every time Windows Search service is restarted. File which is causing that is: "C:\Users\DELETED_USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TextHarvester\TextHarvester. dat" Anyone know how to...
  7. Deleted user folder being recreated.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted user folder being recreated.: Hi All I deleted one of my users. However old folder is being recreated every time Windows Search service is restarted. File which is causing that is: "C:\Users\DELETED_USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TextHarvester\TextHarvester. dat" Anyone know how to...
  8. Recreated User folder - permissions

Recreated User folder - permissions: Created another admin account 'Dave', then deleted my Mac20 original account. Recreated Mac20 using outlook but when I go in \Users I still see the original Mac20 folder (with only 2 objects) and the new one called Mac20.DESKTOP-34C11S0. This will allow me to move the...
  9. Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?

Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?: Last nite's update or Disk Cleanup has deleted all my User folders I moved to my Data HDD, H:. (So they're not in C:\Users|Mac20 either). (I do have two 3D Objects in both places oddly.) Is there a way to recreate them somehow or is the only solution to totally reinstall?...
  10. Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account: First off, thanks in advance for any help offered. My new ASUS laptop came with Windows 10, so this is not an upgrade install, but an OEM purchase, and therefore not a pre-release build. My problem is this: I accidentally uninstalled the Mail/Calendar app that comes with...