Windows 10: Any way to restore shell32 to it's default?

Discus and support Any way to restore shell32 to it's default? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used to use an external program to change all my PC icons and it worked great... until a recent update corrupted it and a few other programs, so now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DrekAnon, Jun 14, 2021.

1. DrekAnon Win User

Any way to restore shell32 to it's default?

I used to use an external program to change all my PC icons and it worked great... until a recent update corrupted it and a few other programs, so now most of my folders have the default icon and a bunch still have the custom one. I just need a way to change shell32.dll for a fresh copy but I can't really do anything to it since it's like a core function, help please?

:)

DrekAnon, Jun 14, 2021

2. reset system folder (windows) permission back to default / original state

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type File explorer options,Select it from the options
    • Click on Restore defaults.
    • Click Apply and OK.

Thanks,

Waseemulla S, Jun 14, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not sure why the suggested that there either since .zip is not listed by default. The easiest way is to use the "Open with" context menu to change the association for .zip.

Brink, Jun 14, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Any way to restore shell32 to it's default? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Any way to restore shell32 to it's default? - Similar Threads - restore shell32 default

2. What is the way to restore my Windows 10 system to its default settings and undo any...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the way to restore my Windows 10 system to its default settings and undo any...: In the past, I mistakenly believed that applying various tweaks to my computer would improve its performance. However, my PC remained slow and unresponsive. Even after resetting my PC, the issue remains. I'm now looking for a solution to restore my computer’s performance and...
  3. any (easy) way to restore default fonts only in Windows font folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    any (easy) way to restore default fonts only in Windows font folder?: My windows 10 (64 bit) font folder is cluttered with fonts from over the years... I now understand that certain font managers can temporarily install fonts which is exactly what i need to do occasionally. Is there an way i can restore only the default windows system fonts in...
  4. any (easy) way to restore default fonts only in Windows font folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    any (easy) way to restore default fonts only in Windows font folder?: My windows 10 (64 bit) font folder is cluttered with fonts from over the years... I now understand that certain font managers can temporarily install fonts which is exactly what i need to do occasionally. Is there an way i can restore only the default windows system fonts in...
  5. Any way to make 'face' the default here?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to make 'face' the default here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/1Michael23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8pn8r/any_way_to_make_face_the_default_here/
  6. Is there any way to repair Explorer.exe or restore it?

Is there any way to repair Explorer.exe or restore it?: I think my explorer.exe is really messed up. It keeps crashing even if I manually end it and restart it using task manager. I can still use apps as long as I start the app before explorer crashes. (By crash I mean i get a black screen shortly after I login to my desktop with...
  7. Any way to restore purchases on the Microsoft Store?

Any way to restore purchases on the Microsoft Store?: I'm asking this question because I uninstalled Minecraft 2 times because my Minecraft was lagging a bit and now it shows up like I never purchased it. I checked my purchases and I saw Minecraft on the purchases list but when I search "Minecraft" not the package Minecraft, the...
  8. Is there a way to restore default fonts or mass delete fonts?

Is there a way to restore default fonts or mass delete fonts?: I've amassed a variety of random fonts over the years and would like to do a clean. Is there a more efficient way to remove the fonts that aren't needed? submitted by /u/apricotTuesday [link] [comments]...
  9. Any Ways To Delete The "DEFAULT ERROR STACK"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Ways To Delete The "DEFAULT ERROR STACK"?: Ok.... So, I have been scanning my PC with Malwarebytes. I found out for the past 24 hours it is still not finished scanning because of the "DEFAULT ERROR STACK" which is really stacking up to 200000. It was never been there before and I don't know who gave birth to them. I...
  10. Any way to add programs to default list?

Any way to add programs to default list?: I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my default email program and isn't listed among available choices. Is there any way to add it to the list so I can make it the...