Windows 10: Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?

Discus and support Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones? in Cortana to solve the problem; (Topic is set to Cortana because that was the closest to Microphone related questions) I'm using my headphones which don't have a microphone, but I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by KibSquib48, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?

(Topic is set to Cortana because that was the closest to Microphone related questions)

I'm using my headphones which don't have a microphone, but I can't use my internal microphone because windows thinks I have an external microphone connected.

:)

KibSquib48, Apr 11, 2019
  2. AliseReid Win User

Headphones, microphone issue.

The device is the default and I have updated the drivers. They say they are up to date. I'll answer your questions below.

• Are you getting any error message?
      • No error messages.
    • When did the issue start? It started last month sometime.
      • It goes in and out of doing what I want it to.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to the issue?
      • No changes were made.
    • Have you tried using a different headphone to isolate the issue?
      • Yes.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you d so far?
      • I have tried updating drivers, setting defaults, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, changing headphones, turning off the microphone, changing the settings in Realtek Manager.

I've tried a lot of stuff without any luck. I'm not sure what the issue is.

AliseReid, Apr 11, 2019
  3. EricBenji Win User
    Headphone no longer working as intended. I use no speakers, solely the headphones. I can only hear if I set "Speakers" to default. Headphones being set to default results in no sound at all.

The previous 2 lead to nothing however when I went onto the 3rd step and attempted to set up a microhpone, immediately the PC broadcasted on screen "Detecting Problems" followed by a "Whats not working?" with the two options being "Cortana can't hear me"
    and "I can't hear Cortana". Selecting the "I can't hear Cortana" leads to a list of devices to troubleshoot. Troubleshooting the "Headphones" while they are set as the default leads to nothing. Troubleshooting the "Speakers" allows for the headphones to broadcast
    noise.

Do I need to proceed to the other options or does my problem have to do with step 3?

EricBenji, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?

Headphones, microphone issue.

Hi Alise,

This issue may be due to driver compatibility. We'd like to ask additional information to better assist you. Please answer the following:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • When did the issue start?
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this?
    • Have you tried using a different headphone to isolate the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you set the headphone as the default device on your computer. Here's how:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Click Sound.
    • Choose Headphones and click Set default button at the bottom.
    • In some cases, there is no headphone option alone, but Speakers/Headphone. If that’s the case, select that and click
      Set default button at the bottom.
    • Press OK.

If the issue persists, then you can update your driver by following the steps
    here

Feel free to respond if the provided steps work for you.

Joan Pin, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?

1. Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones? - Similar Threads - set microphone internal

2. Is there a way for me to get my laptop to use it's internal mic instead of my headphone one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way for me to get my laptop to use it's internal mic instead of my headphone one?: Re: the question above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-for-me-to-get-my-laptop-to-use-its/f629a8b2-6761-4e2f-9097-bfb3bfc66ffd
  3. Is there a way for me to get my laptop to use it's internal mic instead of my headphone one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way for me to get my laptop to use it's internal mic instead of my headphone one?: Re: the question above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-for-me-to-get-my-laptop-to-use-its/f629a8b2-6761-4e2f-9097-bfb3bfc66ffd
  4. Is there a way to use your iPad as a live microphone for windows (preferably wired)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to use your iPad as a live microphone for windows (preferably wired): I have an hdmi to usb c cable and a usb c to usb a, would either of those work for this? submitted by /u/hayquesoenlapared [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lqo3yg/is_there_a_way_to_use_your_ipad_as_a_live/
  5. USB microphone/headphones use.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB microphone/headphones use.: Hi, I connected a USB microphone today, which is working fine. I can also hear the recording through my headphones. The issue is that I would like to hear my voice through the headphones, when I'm recording, and I can't seem to find how to do this. I hope you can help thanks....
  6. Headphones microphone is not being used.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphones microphone is not being used.: I had selected for my computer to "not ask again" by accident to not use the microphone and I want for my computer to have the option of using the headphones microphone. I don't see it pop up when I plug it in anymore and I have looked up various ways to undo this but only to...
  7. Is there any way to disable microphone icon in system tray without using settings app?

Is there any way to disable microphone icon in system tray without using settings app?: Is there any way to disable microphone icon in system tray without using settings app? E.g. registry or group policy? submitted by /u/sevenseal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dt145w/is_there_any_way_to_disable_microphone_icon_in/
  8. Is there any way to connect Bluetooth headphones and wired earphones at the same time on...

Is there any way to connect Bluetooth headphones and wired earphones at the same time on...: submitted by /u/elcaramba [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dsi28q/is_there_any_way_to_connect_bluetooth_headphones/
  9. why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone: why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-one-have-to-have-the-microphone-turned-on/1679db97-c4d2-4b81-8c7a-25528ad02c3c
  10. Headphone with built in microphone uses as Microphone, not Headphone

in Windows 10 Support
    Headphone with built in microphone uses as Microphone, not Headphone: Okay, so I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10. I am using an Ultimate Ears Headphone with built in microphone. The problem is that i want to use the headphone part, but all the the laptop registers is the microphone. [img] How can I change this, as i cannot watch videos...