Windows 10: Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep?

Discus and support Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 2 USB devices - Virpil HOTAS controllers - that when plugged in, my PC just will not sleep or even turn off the display. If I unplug them, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by imacken, Feb 23, 2021.

1. imacken Win User

Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep?

I have 2 USB devices - Virpil HOTAS controllers - that when plugged in, my PC just will not sleep or even turn off the display. If I unplug them, all is good.
    I was wondering if there was a way to tell the system to ignore them when trying to sleep.
    I know there is a powercfg command you can send to ignore devices that show in powercfg -requests, but what if they don't show?
    Any help appreciated.

Windows 10 20H2.

:)

imacken, Feb 23, 2021

2. Audio device unrecognised after waking from sleep

From time to time I wake my laptop from sleep and find that the audio driver (Conexant Venice) is no longer loaded. The audio hardware is listed in the Device Manager as just "base system device" (or two base system devices, to be precise). Rebooting fixes the problem each time, but it takes a while. Is there a quicker way to make the audio work again than rebooting? I've tried obvious steps like running the troubleshooter and disabling and then re-enabling the devices.

ricecrispies, Feb 23, 2021
  3. jonnies Win User
    USB devices inhibiting sleep and display blanking

When my gaming peripherals (Thrustmaster steering wheel, pedals, shifter) are plugged into the USB ports, my PC will never go into power-saving mode when left idle. Won't blank the screen or go into screen saver, and won't go to sleep.
    I assume these devices must be sending something periodically, keeping the PC awake. Is there a way to tell the system to ignore certain devices or ports when looking for activity for the purpose of power management?

System has a fresh, clean install of the latest Windows 10 download.
    js

jonnies, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep?

windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are facing issues with the Windows 10 Sleep, we will look into this for you. However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    • Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?

Meanwhile, this issue could be related to the Hybrid sleep and the Fast Startup. Hence, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to turn off Hybrid Sleep:

1. Click on Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options, then click on Change plan settings.
    4. Click on Change advanced power settings and expand
      Sleep
      option.
    5. Now expand Allow hybrid sleep and then change settings to
      Off.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Steps to turn off Fast Startup:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options.
    4. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    6. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    7. Click on Save changes. This will turn off fast startup.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

We would also like you to open command prompt (Admin) after the PC wakes up. (Type in Windows search
    CMD and then right click on it, select Run as Administrator)

Then type the command as mentioned in the /lastwake & /energy
    section from this Powercfg command-line
    options
    article.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep?

1. Any way to tell system to ignore certain devices when trying to sleep? - Similar Threads - tell system ignore

2. Is there a way to stop a device locking when it goes to sleep without disabling the sleep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to stop a device locking when it goes to sleep without disabling the sleep...: Hi at work we have some PCs around the venue that are used as kiosks, currently they sit on 24/7. We are investigating a way that they will sleep when not in use but can resume when the screen is tapped.Currently they automatically lock when the device sleeps but as expected...
  3. Is there a way to stop a device locking when it goes to sleep without disabling the sleep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to stop a device locking when it goes to sleep without disabling the sleep...: Hi at work we have some PCs around the venue that are used as kiosks, currently they sit on 24/7. We are investigating a way that they will sleep when not in use but can resume when the screen is tapped.Currently they automatically lock when the device sleeps but as expected...
  4. Is there a way to stop a device locking when it goes to sleep without disabling the sleep...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Is there any way to disable certain cameras for certain applications?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there any way to disable certain cameras for certain applications?: An example is only using OBS virtual camera on chrome while my regular webcam is disabled but OBS will be using that webcam for the virtual webcam. Can I do that?...
  6. Laptop turns all the way off sometimes when I tell it to sleep

Laptop turns all the way off sometimes when I tell it to sleep: When I put my laptop to sleep by either manually telling it to sleep or closing the lid, it sometimes goes to sleep properly, but in most cases it turns off all the way. Before it turns off the cooling system gets louder and louder until it eventually turns off. If I try to...
  7. Is there any way to lock a window in a certain position?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to lock a window in a certain position?: I want to record a certain window, but it requires an specific angle in order to do so. I have to resize the window and position it in a set position for the recording to go smoother, but the problem is every time I close said window, it opens on full screen as if I didn't do...
  8. Sleep and Hibernate Ignored

Sleep and Hibernate Ignored: Starting about a week ago my Win 10 system doesn't sleep or hibernate as I request. Although it appears to be OK when I click on "Sleep" or "Hibernate" when I leave the office, when I return a few hours later it only resumes with a restart. In the past they both worked fine,...
  9. Any way to tell if File History backup is working?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any way to tell if File History backup is working?: I am trying to keep my files backed up regularly (weekly). First, I cannot set an automatic weekly backup. Secondly, when I set the backup to run I can't tell if it's working (so a few times I've cancelled and started again, probably needlessly. Thirdly, can I sign out of...
  10. A way to Block ignore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A way to Block ignore?: I'm having issues with the Grammar Checker in Word. I've tried all other forums and just wondered if anyone here knows of a simple solution.? Basically; whenever I reload a document i'm working on (I'm a Fiction Writer) Word had the habit of forgetting all the Grammar...