Windows 10: Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST

Discus and support Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm don't organize my thoughts well, so please bear with me. Issue began, I THINK, with a Windows update a few months ago. Any Windows initiated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MR Easy Guns, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST

I'm don't organize my thoughts well, so please bear with me.

Issue began, I THINK, with a Windows update a few months ago.

Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to post with the exception of the shutdown option in the start menu. Restart results in failure to post. Shutdown from CMD prompt results in failure to post. Fast startup is deselected in power options. Keyboard backlight, fans, and other laptop LEDs turn on, but I get no display, no splash screen. If I hold the power button to shut off at that point, it will boot normally. If I hold the power button to shut down from within Windows, it'll boot normally. As said, if I select shutdown in the start menu, it'll shut down and boot normally (I'm wondering if fast startup is truly turned off for this reason, even though the option is off - maybe the shutdown isn't giving me a true shutdown).

I ignored the problem for a couple months, but did a fresh Windows install last night and the issue persists. I don't know for sure that it's not a hardware problem, but it only has a problem on a windows initiated shutdown, so I'm not convinced its not Windows. Laptop is still under warranty so it won't be a problem to send it in other than losing my machine for 6-8 weeks for repair. I'd like to rule out software before I go that route.

Asus ROG Strix Scar II (GL704GV)

Any help would be sincerely appreciated

:)

MR Easy Guns, Oct 1, 2019
  2. little cat, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Restart and Shutdown failure

Thank you. I have, in fact, done one of the things you suggested after I posted the issue. I discovered a couple of new Windows 10 updates that had not downloaded and then I installed them. My problem seems to have gone away! I had traced my failure to
    the date of the last Windows 10 update and was preparing to remove that update. But the newest update for x64 machines seems to solve the problem. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but I have done a couple of successful Shutdowns and Restarts without the
    failures I've had for a week. Thanks again.

Me again. After further testing, I still have the same problems with Restart and Shutdown/restart. I'm back to using Sleep all the time and having to sometimes cold-boot 2-3 times in a row to get WINDOWS 10 to start correctly. Have done a total system Reset
    already and re-installed Windows 10 and installed all the updates. Looks like I'm just screwed.

OldTimer68, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST

Windows 10 Restart and Shutdown failure

This OldTimer also seems to be screwed. I'm experiencing the same problem for several months now. At least I'm not alone in the boat.

LyndelOsborne, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST

1. Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST - Similar Threads - initiated shutdown restart

2. Windows wont shutdown or restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows wont shutdown or restart: Hello, I am currently running a new Windows 10 education edition install after my last one suddenly died. Now my current problem is that no matter the method of trying to shutdown my computer through windows its just gets stuck. Trying to shut down via the start menu doesn't...
  3. Shutdown/Restart Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shutdown/Restart Shortcuts: Hello Microsoft Community, I had seen online that you could add shortcuts to your desktop to quickly shut down or restart your PC. How can I do this but add a time interval (30 seconds, for example) before the computer shuts down or restarts? And is it possible to create a...
  4. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  5. Sign-in process initialization failure

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign-in process initialization failure: Message popped up (computer hadn't been used in several days, just noticed it when I was straightening up the desk it was on): Sign-in process initialization failure- Interactive sign-in process initialization has failed. (OK box) Facts: -Bought September 24, 2018...
  6. the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    the kernel power has initiated a shutdown: Hi, I have been getting this report from the Event Viewer the last couple of mornings when the computer should have been in sleep mode. Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 9/30/2018 12:26:23 AM Event ID: 109 Task Category: (103) Level: Information...
  7. restart shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restart shutdown: hello, Im just having one problem with win 10 The restart shuts down my computer and I don't have this problem on linux mint can someone point me to a solution. I have tried to turn off hibernation and it seemed to be working for a little while ,but now it just shuts down...
  8. Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown: Good evening everyone, Been a long time lurker of the 8 and 10 forums, was a member of the 7 forums back in the day. Anyway, I have me a fun little problem that is making me lose hair and I am hopeful someone here can help. I had a Gigabyte motherboard that died and was...
  9. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown then Immediately Restarts: Win 10 Pro x64 HP Spectre x360 15t, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, NVidia Geforce MX150 2GB GDDR5 I was having some issues with HP printer drivers but that did not appear to cause this shutdown issue. I plugged an LG BE14NU40 Blu-Ray Writer via USB and output via HDMI...
  10. POST CPU Fan Failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    POST CPU Fan Failure: When I startup my system (cold) I get a POST error "CPU Fan Failure" and I am directed into the BIOS where I can view the status of the different fans on my motherboard. Sure enough the CPU fan hasn't started. With some patience I have discovered that after about 5 minutes...