Windows 10: Any word what happens after the year is up?

Discus and support Any word what happens after the year is up? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For those of us who got the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home and/or Pro, has Microsoft released any details at all on what's going to happen with our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ukcatsfan83, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Any word what happens after the year is up?

For those of us who got the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home and/or Pro, has Microsoft released any details at all on what's going to happen with our upgrade keys? Are we going to be forced to go out and purchase a retail copy? Honestly, we shouldn't have to. . They did say the upgrade was "free". . lol

:)

ukcatsfan83, Aug 31, 2015

2. What happens one year later after downloading Windows 10?

Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users. This means, as long you upgrade within the first 12 months (July 29th 2015 to July 29th 2016), you will not have to pay for Windows 10 at all.

Any word what happens after the year is up? [​IMG]

Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10.
    Once you upgrade within the first year for free, its yours forever at no additional cost. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    at no additional charge.

Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

I heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.

Are you saying there will be no more versions of Windows after Windows 10?

Microsoft is moving Windows to a servicing model with Windows 10. The days of major revisions or what are called big bang releases are no more. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service
    – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking "What version are you on?" will cease to make sense
    – which is great news for our Windows developers.

Source: The next generation of Windows: Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog

Why is Windows 10 free, is there some catch?

No, its not a catch. We are computing in different times. Windows 10 is free so app developers can standardize on one platform and reduce the fragmented market of different versions and editions of Windows that have been an issue in the past. When everybody
    is on the same platform, it means better quality apps, a healthier ecosystem and more advances in hardware and software innovation.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    What happens one year later after downloading Windows 10?

Nothing.

You will not be asked to pay for it or have to go back to your old OS.

once upgraded it will be supported free for the life of the machine.

it is the offer that is valid for only one year. you will only have to pay for it if you leave it till after 28th July
    2016 before installing the upgrade.

Martmcd, Aug 31, 2015
  4. ramram55 Win User

Any word what happens after the year is up?

It is free on your PC, as long as it lasts.

ramram55, Aug 31, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    No, far as i know it, it will still be free, believe others have a year to get it is all.

jds63, Aug 31, 2015
  6. That's good to know. I hope Microsoft keeps it that way.......... I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, downloaded Belarc Advisor and wrote down the Windows 10 Pro serial #. . . Here's the funny thing. . I'm not going to post the full serial code in here, but the last 5 characters of the key it gave me was 3V66T. .. The entire Windows Pro 10 key that i see in Belarc Advisor matches the one that is floating around the internet. You can figure it out if ya search hard enough. . . .Is Microsoft only using ONE key for everyone? LOL. . I'm wondering if eventually the key will be blacklisted?

ukcatsfan83, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Err yes they are, depending on version. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-get-win...vation-1514845

Torquemada, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Any word what happens after the year is up?

Then, sorry to say, you wasted your time. The free Windows 10 Upgrade does not use product keys to activate; instead, it uses hardware hashes. And, MS has never said anything about activation expiring down the road; instead, they have said that the activation is good for the "life of the device".

Mark Phelps, Aug 31, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    FYI
    If you have upgraded a retail license of Win7 or Win8 to Win10 the license cannot transferred to another device after July 29 2016. It will be considered a preinstalled license from that date and will be tied to the device.

You would however be able to remove Win10 and revert back to the original Win7 or Win8 retail license. The original Win7 or Win8 retail license will no longer be eligible for the free promotional upgrade. If you subsequently wanted to use Win10 you would then have to buy a new Win10 license (either standalone or preinstalled)

WhyMe, Sep 1, 2015
  10. neveready Win User
    Are you sure about not being eligible for the promotional update. I updated Windows 8.1 Pro then tried to do clean install. Needless to say it didn't work. Waited over a week for activation which never happened. Had to format HDD and reinstall Win 8.1 and update that back to Win 10. All went fine and was activated again.

neveready, Sep 1, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Actually, Microsoft says windows 10 will retain the retail transfers right if upgrade from windows 7 or 8.1 retail version. It never said the transferable rights will expire on July 29, 2016. The debate is how to go about doing that.

groze, Sep 1, 2015
  12. WhyMe Win User
    What is your source please as your comment is not consistent with their policy as presented to me by their Global HQ during conversations just two weeks ago

WhyMe, Sep 1, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Microsoft EULA.

groze, Sep 1, 2015
  14. DavidY Win User
    They said "the supported life of the device",which isn't the same thing.
    I can't be sure what it means exactly, but they have enough highly paid lawyers that the word won't be there by accident. I think it means OEM-supported.

DavidY, Sep 1, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    The Microsoft EULA does not refer to the free promotional upgrade. It only refers to standalone and preinstalled licenses. The Microsoft policy is pretty clear that a free promotional upgrade is tied to the device and therefore, for all intents and purposes, would be considered a preinstalled license and tied to the lifetime of the device without right of transfer.

I do accept that there is a conflict between EULA and policy. I am just making sure folks here are aware of the situation and not just assumming their Win10 license will be considered a standalone license come July 29 2016. Cos unless Microsoft change their policy, all upgraded licenses will NOT have the right of transfer.

WhyMe, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Any word what happens after the year is up? - Similar Threads - word happens

2. What happened to my version of Word? I want macros enabled and nothing works!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to my version of Word? I want macros enabled and nothing works!: I want to enable macros and nothing I do works! Why was that changed anyway and why is it doing it automatically? I need help as I work from home. Thanks!...
  3. What happened to my version of Word? I want macros enabled and nothing works!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened to my version of Word? I want macros enabled and nothing works!: I want to enable macros and nothing I do works! Why was that changed anyway and why is it doing it automatically? I need help as I work from home. Thanks!...
  4. What happened to my version of Word? I want macros enabled and nothing works!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What happened to the "Copy" feature options for saving files in WORD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to the "Copy" feature options for saving files in WORD?: I just downloaded Windows 11. After working on a Word document in Windows 10, I could send a copy of my work to my One Drive, Dropbox, and flash drives by selecting "copy to." Now in Windows 11, it takes several steps to find "copy" and the options are limited to only another...
  6. What happened to the "Copy" feature options for saving files in WORD?

What happened to the "Copy" feature options for saving files in WORD?: I just downloaded Windows 11. After working on a Word document in Windows 10, I could send a copy of my work to my One Drive, Dropbox, and flash drives by selecting "copy to." Now in Windows 11, it takes several steps to find "copy" and the options are limited to only another...
  7. When updating Office/Word does the old program have to be uninstalled and/or what happens...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When updating Office/Word does the old program have to be uninstalled and/or what happens...: The question pretty well says it all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-updating-officeword-does-the-old-program-have/90908e52-ac32-4ab8-84fd-2dfc16c0fca0
  8. When updating Office/Word does the old program have to be uninstalled and/or what happens...

When updating Office/Word does the old program have to be uninstalled and/or what happens...: The question pretty well says it all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-updating-officeword-does-the-old-program-have/90908e52-ac32-4ab8-84fd-2dfc16c0fca0
  9. When updating Office/Word does the old program have to be uninstalled and/or what happens...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. If I upgrade from Windows 10 to 11, what will happen to my files in Excel, Word and other?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I upgrade from Windows 10 to 11, what will happen to my files in Excel, Word and other?: What will happen to my files if I upgrade to Windows 11 from 10. Have MS Surface and analysis stated I can upgrade to 11. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-upgrade-from-windows-10-to-11-what-will/04f9ac38-aaa4-46dd-ab1b-07c95a883630