Windows 10: Anyone else had bad memory modules ?

Discus and support Anyone else had bad memory modules ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have had 2 sets of Corsair memory (both were 16gb dual channel sets), both had 1 bad 8gb module per set, by bad I mean errors showing up in MemTest86... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BlizzardUK, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Anyone else had bad memory modules ?

I have had 2 sets of Corsair memory (both were 16gb dual channel sets), both had 1 bad 8gb module per set, by bad I mean errors showing up in MemTest86 (I got blue screens with both sets when encoding video, hence why I checked in MemTest), while the other module in each set was fine with 0 errors. The first set had a module in that had 3000 errors on, the 2nd set had one with 1200 errors on. So this has happened twice now to me, so I am now sending back for my 3rd set. Am I just very unlucky or is this fairly common with 3200mhz memory ? I make sure I am grounded before installing the memory, I touch as many metal things in the room as I can and even keep one hand on the case, I don't remember any sparks and I don't touch the contacts, straight from the sealed memory box to the motherboard. I can't work out if I am just unlucky or if I am to blame in some way. If my PC was damaging the modules, I presume it would happen to both from each set, yes ? Not just one each time ? I don't believe it can be the memory slot at fault unless the 3rd slot (dual channel slot) damages the memory in some way, but I know if I try each module in the 1st slot the bad modules show bad still, and the good ones good, so the first slot isn't damaging anything at least. I will attach the bad memory results of the 2nd set I had (again, just the 1 module per set, the other in each set is perfect and error free).

I just want to make sure for the 3rd set I get, I am not going to make the same mistake twice. Should I try each module one by one this time instead of straight away putting both modules in from the set ?

Also while I am here, can 2 lots of dual channel 3200mhz modules be used in a B450 motherboard with a 2600x CPU, so 8gb x4 but purchased in two dual channel packs ?

See below for MemTest result.

Anyone else had bad memory modules ? [​IMG]

:)

BlizzardUK, Dec 21, 2019

2. Bad memory modules?

Thanks for the replies.

@ron732: I checked the QVL list. I don't think my RAM is on there, but if I only go by that list, I limit myself to a small fraction of RAM available. Lets face it, most of us ignore those lists and just configure timings to spec as I did.

Yes the motherboard supports up to 4GB per module and can supply voltages up to 2.2v-2.3v (cant remember exact voltage off of the top of my head). All timings are adjustable in BIOS.

@ overclocking: If one DIMM is bad, I will have to order a pair anyway. I have tried adjusting NB voltages.

QVL List found here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/890FX Deluxe3.pdf

Apocolypse007, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Bad Module info

Hello Richard,

We still can't identify the possible causes of having a bad module on your Windows 10 computer. For us to isolate and assist your issue better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you only getting this error when launching games?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Michelle Vil, Dec 21, 2019
  4. ron732 Win User

Anyone else had bad memory modules ?

Bad memory modules?

I assume you have updated the BIOS since you are tweaking the memory settings. Did you see in the manual that Asrock says "If you adopt DDR3 1800/1600 memory modules on this motherboard, it is recommended to install them on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots." ? Not sure why they recommend this but it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

I agree with you on the QVL list limiting your choices. I use it as a guidline when picking memory. To bad you are having these problems cause that mobo and the Ripjaws got some pretty sweet specs. Good luck with the Vipers and let me know how you make out. I was thinking about doing an AMD build myself.

ron732, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Anyone else had bad memory modules ?

1. Anyone else had bad memory modules ? - Similar Threads - Anyone else bad

2. Anyone else had this before?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone else had this before?: so yesterday i accidentally clicked to reset my windows password. It sort of glitched out and took me back to my desktop, but started behaving weirdly when i sign out, shutdown or restart. It displays 'just a moment', before it then does a completely normal procedure of...
  3. Anyone else had this before?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Anyone else had this before?: so yesterday i accidentally clicked to reset my windows password. It sort of glitched out and took me back to my desktop, but started behaving weirdly when i sign out, shutdown or restart. It displays 'just a moment', before it then does a completely normal procedure of...
  4. Anyone else had this before?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10: On the 17th August I paid £32.95 to renew & upgrade my Ccleaner. But I keep getting the warning shown below. I've emailed their Cstomer Service sic team four times but they've ignored me. I even copied in their CEO but they still ignore me. This is pathetic & disgraceful...
  6. Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10: On the 17th August I paid £32.95 to renew & upgrade my Ccleaner. But I keep getting the warning shown below. I've emailed their Cstomer Service sic team four times but they've ignored me. I even copied in their CEO but they still ignore me. This is pathetic & disgraceful...
  7. Had problems with not opening taskbar icons, has anyone else had this issue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Had problems with not opening taskbar icons, has anyone else had this issue?: I feel like the starting menu does not suit. When I had these issues, it was the transition from 1909 to the 2004/20h2 upgrade. When I disabled the Cortana in the Reg Editor, the issue went away. Since it wasn't just the start menu, it wouldn't open the calendar often and I...
  8. Bad Module Error

Bad Module Error: I run a lot of games and now they crash with 1709 updates and give me this error code, prior to this I was running Windows 10 1703 and did not have a problem, will this issue be resolved in 1803 version of windows?...
  9. Bad Module

Bad Module: As I've been gaming for a while this new update on windows 10 keeps bringing me to a bad module error message and kicking me out of the game. I have played over 2000 hours on Arma 3 and have had this problem twice with windows updates. I was able to fix this once before by...
  10. Anyone Else had this update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anyone Else had this update: Has anyone else had this update downloaded and installed Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3106932) It went in ok but cant find out what it is for 28160