Windows 10: Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?

Discus and support Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Can't find this with Google. I have two 2TB SSDs mirrored with Windows that are my boot drives, and I need to move them to a new motherboard. Same CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gd2246, Jan 7, 2021.

1. /u/gd2246 Win User

Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?

Can't find this with Google. I have two 2TB SSDs mirrored with Windows that are my boot drives, and I need to move them to a new motherboard. Same CPU and everything else. Will this cause any problems, or is there a special way I need to do it?

Edit: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

submitted by /u/gd2246
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gd2246, Jan 7, 2021
  2. Neemobeer Win User

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

If it's a software RAID then there shouldn't be any issues simply moving the drives over, even if it were a hardware RAID, a mirror RAID is pretty forgiving and shouldn't break. You can break the mirror as suggested by play2mefish it won't harm anything since the drives are identical data.

Neemobeer, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Upgrading to a GPT boot drive

Hi everyone;

I've spent about 20 hours on forums all over the internet trying to find out how to do this, I've tried loads of different utilities, and so far nothing has worked.

I have Windows10 Education installed on a 1TB HDD, booting in legacy mode (MBR). It's out of space, and I need to move it to my new 3TB HDD, which needs to be UEFI & GPT. I have a UEFI bootable USB with Win10 Education ISO on, created using Rufus. I have
    another UEFI bootable USB With Ubuntu on (someome suggested installing Win10 on the new drive, then reconnecting the old drive and using the ubuntu USB to run NTFSCLONE to clone the old drive to the new drive. It nearly worked; all the files etc were on the
    new drive, but when I tried to boot it would hang after the windows 10 splash logo; with just the dots circling.

currently the new drive has windows 10 installed, It works, it's UEFI bootable, although the partitions aren't in the recommended order (EFI is third not 1st, is this an issue?!) & under boot menu it shows up twice: once as Windows Boot Manager & once just
    the drive; the old drive is exactly as it was before I started

I can't afford to buy any expensive utilities, I can't afford to buy an external HDD to store an image on, is there any way I can do this??

Im fairly technologically competent but I've not done anything like this before so step by step instructions please!

thank you

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

mattMansfield, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

I have 2 drives that were using windows mirroring (Under Disk Management) in my old PC.

I've moved them to my new PC, but made a mistake.
    I'm only running Windows 10 Home instead of Pro.
    So when I imported foreign disks they came in as 2 separate disks instead of 1.

I've ordered Windows 10 Pro and plan on upgrading, but am unsure if I can re-import the disks so they appear as 1 since I already imported them.

Any suggestions?

Worse case I can probably reformat one of the drives, but I'm not sure if I can start a new mirror with a drive that already has data (and I really don't want to lose the data).

ianvolkwein, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?

1. Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard? - Similar Threads - Anyone experience moving

2. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  3. Getting my boot drive into GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting my boot drive into GPT: Hi, I'm trying to enable secure boot, I have windows installed on my nvme drive, its listed as disk 3 in disk mangement. I have done the shift and restart, but there is no option for a uefi settings there in the troubleshoot menu. I have gone into bios and tried to boot as...
  4. Anyone have experience with buying from digitallicense.nl?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone have experience with buying from digitallicense.nl?: I saw that they have Windows 10 keys for sale pretty cheap but idk if they are legit or or not, anyone have any experience with them? submitted by /u/guacamoletonz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/leujj7/anyone_have_experience_with_buying_from/
  5. Windows 10 GPT mirror

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 GPT mirror: Tried following this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/814070/how-to-establish-and-boot-to-gpt-mirrors-on-64-bit-windows But ultimately, cannot mirror disk 0 (C: basically), since it can't be made dynamic due to some "security" thing being enabled. Also, the first...
  6. New motherboard no boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New motherboard no boot: My last mobo sparked out and i think it took my cpu with it. The fans run but nothing displays on the screen. A couple mosfets blew on the msi 970ga 46 so i replaced it with a gigabyte 970a ud3p rev 2.1. I'm Using an amd fx 8350 be. 139898
  7. Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives: I am planning to install a new motherboard and drives, an upgrade. Old one is 5 years old. I want to retain all my apps and data without having to reinstall everything or in some cases replace with new. Currently Windows is on an M.2 180 GB drive and data on a 1 TB HDD. I...
  8. new motherboard and new drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    new motherboard and new drive: How to get all the file icons back in the list for easy acces from F:// drive (my old drive) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-new-drive/f82e7314-da5d-4a86-965f-8a2b0d526660
  9. Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC: I have 2 drives that were using windows mirroring (Under Disk Management) in my old PC. I've moved them to my new PC, but made a mistake. I'm only running Windows 10 Home instead of Pro. So when I imported foreign disks they came in as 2 separate disks instead of 1....
  10. Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ?: I have unintentionally created some problems for myself with permissions.  I don't understand permissions and networking very well (a question for another day). A friend told me to use "tweaking program" to repair my system issues with permissions. Before I just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Mirrored disk unable boot after motherboard change