Windows 10: Anyone Having Odd "Critical Update" Warnings When Using Firefox?

Discus and support Anyone Having Odd "Critical Update" Warnings When Using Firefox? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Well, at the risk of labouring the point, I still think, that in this case, the advice to disable automatic updates is problematic. The initial... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Bigfoot, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Gort Win User

Anyone Having Odd "Critical Update" Warnings When Using Firefox?

Well, at the risk of labouring the point, I still think, that in this case, the advice to disable automatic updates is problematic.

The initial question was about some popup that spoke of the need to install a critical update, in which the answer should have been to ignore it, because Firefox won't, in its default automatic update state, popup such a request; such a thing is bogus. You then suggested that in order to always be clear that a message to update is fake, to disable automatic updates in Firefox, because then there'd never be a message if Firefox wasn't updating. Problem is that that is still giving the popups some implied credence rather than ignoring them for what they are. The important thing to make clear to the OP was that such popups should be ignored, not that you change settings to make ignoring them supposedly moot.

BTW, Mozilla tends to turn back on automatic updates now and then, in order to ensure that people do get security updates and are not stuck on old and insecure versions. Many savvy and self-proclaimed power users complain of this hand holding, yet Mozilla will, now and then, change the settings despite complaints, unless you add a line to a user.js file in your profile, etc to stop it from doing so.

You cite the recent CCleaner exploit and then use that to justify turning off automatic updates in Firefox. OK, that thing did happen and a few of CCleaner's users were caught out. However, the amount of people out there that uses that "cleaning" tool is fairly niche and not that widespread. You'll say that an exploit of that kind could affect more popular software, and you'd have a point, but I'll wager that thousands times more people have been bitten by exploits in out of date software and plugins over the years.

In the last two decades I've had the experience to witness and help to fix so many users who either didn't keep up with software updates or chose not to do so, then get infected and wonder why. They'd say that they wanted to keep some feature that had changed or gone missing in future versions or that they plain forgot. Some of these users would consider themselves savvy, too. Why do you think that Mozilla forces the automatic updates back on now and then? Sure, it could be because they want you to play with their new features, but it's also because of the amount of times people have been found wanting due to old and insecure versions that they've doggedly or unwittingly kept to, which has led to exploits spreading.

Now, as you say, an experienced user can weigh the risks and if they're on the ball all the time, they can manually update. Sure, that I can agree with with caveats. But we don't know at what level the OP or other users who read your post are at or how determined they'd be in future to keep up with every update of software that's on their device. Great if the OP ends up like you or other forum members here, but right now we don't know if that'll be the case.

So for now, I'd advise that the OP sticks to keeping automatic updates on, ignores such alarming update messages and tries to learn through experience. Over time, they might well decide to disable automatic updates, but for now I'd advise against it.

Anyway, it seems that we're coming at this issue from different directions. I suppose it's a case of agree to disagree. Plus, I worry that I'll be boring the OP, yourself and other forum members with my ramblings. *Wink

2. bo elam Win User

Lets agree to disagree, but I like to quick comments on 3 things you said before I am gone. *Smile

I been disabling automatic updates in Firefox for 9 years, never seen that happen. If you disable automatic updates, stays disabled.

To have a safe computing experience, you have to know what you install in the computer, and keep up with the programs you install. Knowing your programs and tracking their development is part of learning security.
    The only issue I have with you advise is that you have basically been saying don't do nothing. Stay the same.

But at least now, you modified that view and added "learn through experience." And that is basically my point. Experience gives you knowledge and the power to become a safer user. Later.

Bo

bo elam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Anyone Having Odd "Critical Update" Warnings When Using Firefox?

1. Anyone Having Odd "Critical Update" Warnings When Using Firefox? - Similar Threads - Anyone Having Odd

2. using firefox browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    using firefox browser: Why can't i use firefox as my browser instead of microsoft edge. I am more familiar with firefox. but microsoft wont let me change without the threat of cant come back after switching from S mo...
  3. using firefox browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    using firefox browser: Why can't i use firefox as my browser instead of microsoft edge. I am more familiar with firefox. but microsoft wont let me change without the threat of cant come back after switching from S mo...
  4. Critical, Error and Warning events in Event viewer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical, Error and Warning events in Event viewer: Critical, Error and Warning events from all administrative logs on my dell 5566 2004. The windows 10 updates have destroyed my OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-and-warning-events-in-event-viewer/a1571c93-ae91-4199-8799-93ad26951194
  5. Lots of errors, warnings and 1 critical

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lots of errors, warnings and 1 critical: I have a whole host of issue relating to Windows errors and have a link to a discord screenshot of the errors in administrative events. The main ones Im seeing are 10016, to which I have already followed the instructions posted by microsoft with no result, 1008, 2002, 2004,...
  6. Firefox - audio mute - warning

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - audio mute - warning: Hi folks just a warning that it's easy to mute audio on Firefox quite by accident -- unmuting in the video doesn't work. Not sure what key combos I pressed -- trouble of course when working with different language keyboard layouts simultaneously. The ony way I could unmute...
  7. Critical errors & warnings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Critical errors & warnings: I have W10. I recently found out that windows defender does not have a firewall for the internet. My system is full of errors and warnings. How do I remove them? Do I need software that will give me a firewall for the internet? Can I get it through MS?...
  8. Anyone have a workaround to import Firefox info into Edge Chromium?

in Browsers and Email
    Anyone have a workaround to import Firefox info into Edge Chromium?: According to Microsoft, this has been something they've been working on for at least 5 months with no end in sight. I guess capturing Firefox users isn't important. Anyway, in Edge Beta and now the official version, if you try to import from Firefox, you get an erroneous...
  9. Fix Mozilla Firefox Critical Error Permanently ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fix Mozilla Firefox Critical Error Permanently ?: In case you are using the Mozilla Firefox web program, you may transform into a loss of the Mozilla Firefox Critical Error stunt. firefox critical error comparable kind of stunt – regardless, with a substitute name – is most likely going to be familiar with customers of...
  10. Home Page Not Used When 'Open Firefox' With Cortana

in Browsers and Email
    Home Page Not Used When 'Open Firefox' With Cortana: Firefox 43.0.2 and Win 10 ... when use Cortana and speak 'Open Firefox', Firefox starts but does not open at the defined Home Page ... instead starts at a Google search with a search argument of "Open Firefox". BTW: Firefox is defined to be the default browser and...