Windows 10: Anyone having with experience with VHDX on OneDrive storing Outlook .ost file?

Discus and support Anyone having with experience with VHDX on OneDrive storing Outlook .ost file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Currently I have my Office 365 documents stored within a VeraCrypt encrypted container. Also the Outlook 365 exchange file .ost. The Outlook.com.ost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike_884, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Mike_884 Win User

Anyone having with experience with VHDX on OneDrive storing Outlook .ost file?

Currently I have my Office 365 documents stored within a VeraCrypt encrypted container.

Also the Outlook 365 exchange file .ost.

The Outlook.com.ost file is -not- stored on C: being the default but within the container.

This by using a registry patch.

I first open the password protect container - only then I launch applications.

I am considering to :

1. create a VHDX password protected container on OneDrive

2. move all documents from VeraCrypt into this container

also the .ost file

This way the documents are available on my laptop as well.

I don't know whether this is workable: within Outlook I have a few large .pst-files and as well as a fairly large .ost file.

Question: Anybody here having such situation?

Practical experience?
    Very long synchronisation PC<->Server? large Outlook files

p.s. I know about the pros and cons of POP3 vs Exchange, however, for certain reasons I still -need- those .pst files.

:)

Mike_884, Dec 25, 2019

2. Changing the File Type on an Outlook *.OST file.

I did a stupid thing and inadvertently changed the file type of an Outlook 2016 OST file to a PDF file. I have tried to change the type of file that *.OST is used by to Outlook but Windows 10 does not let me. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

CliveChambers1, Dec 25, 2019
  3. scopio Win User
    Outlook does not create new OST file in folder in ForceOSTPath.

Hi JJG10
    I did managed to move the .ost data file from C:\users\****\Appdata\local\Microsoft\Outlook to G:\Users\***\Documents\Outlook Files for an IMAP account following the next steps;

1. Removed the email account from Outlook, (the Data File will be removed by default). The email account and Data File MUST be removed before you create the ForcePSTPath key AND the ForceOSTPath!
    2. Close Outlook
    3. Deleted the file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\email address.ost file.
    4. Opened the Registry, navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook
    5. I created both the String Value:ForcePSTPath key AND the ForceOSTPath and the Value data to read D:\Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files
    6. Powered off the pc.
    7. Powered on the pc
    8. Opened Control Panel > Mail > E-mail accounts > Account settings > New and added the IMAP account Manually (Do not use Add new mail account from within Outlook!)
    9. When the account was added the Data File was created in the D\:Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files
    10. Open Outlook and it will update the account.

Anyone having with experience with VHDX on OneDrive storing Outlook .ost file? [​IMG]

Hope this is helpful.

scopio, Dec 25, 2019
  4. kdub67 Win User

Accessing Outlook Data Files (.ost) from MAIL App after W10 upgrade

After upgrading to Windows 10... I can't figure out how to ADD Data Files within the MAIL app. I have SEVERAL very old .ost files that I keep some old mail folders in that I used to be able to add to the FILE FOLDER list in Outlook. I can't seem to figure
    out where to do that in the MAIL app.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenny

kdub67, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Anyone having with experience with VHDX on OneDrive storing Outlook .ost file? - Similar Threads - Anyone having experience

2. Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file .ost. Exit Outlook, delete the file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file .ost. Exit Outlook, delete the file: Windows 10, 21 H2 Japanese OSI just cloned the smaller Hard disk drive to larger one. I started the laptop and when I clicked on MS Outlook I got this message Refer screen shotI do not know how to delete the file, though I click on OK and continue checking my email. What...
  3. Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file .ost. Exit Outlook, delete the file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file .ost. Exit Outlook, delete the file: Windows 10, 21 H2 Japanese OSI just cloned the smaller Hard disk drive to larger one. I started the laptop and when I clicked on MS Outlook I got this message Refer screen shotI do not know how to delete the file, though I click on OK and continue checking my email. What...
  4. Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file .ost. Exit Outlook, delete the file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Copy Outlook .ost file to an offline device

Copy Outlook .ost file to an offline device: Hello, Im trying to copy outlook .ost file to an offline device. Any ideas on how I can do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-outlook-ost-file-to-an-offline-device/9ffe4df9-efb0-4b1e-94d3-2e90c6aaa712
  6. import outlook ost file into outlook 365

import outlook ost file into outlook 365: import outlook ost file into outlook 365 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-outlook-ost-file-into-outlook-365/71d73c46-8c71-4d6b-9b78-537990f59d3a
  7. Import recovered OST into Outlook 2010?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Import recovered OST into Outlook 2010?: I manually mined the files from my crashed laptop before I reinstalled Windows 10 and Office 2010. I lost all my contacts - it is an Outlook.com account but the contacts were not synched with the web version. I believe I got the correct OST file from the savage operation....
  8. Outlook *.ost files being created instead of *.pst

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook *.ost files being created instead of *.pst: I upgraded to Win10/Office 2016 from Win7/Office 2013. At the same time, I changed my web mail (Gmail) from POP3 to IMAP. Since the upgrade, Outlook creates *.ost data files instead of *.pst data files. As far as I am able to determine, *.ost files are a product of or are...
  9. backup ost file periodically in outlook 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    backup ost file periodically in outlook 2010: Hi, I was used to backup the ost file periodically. on outlook using “AutoArchive” Feature. It will remove old items from the ost file and move them to the archive pst file. So It will backup the old items in ost file into pst file periodically. But I don't want to move...
  10. An improved add-in store experience inside Outlook

in Windows 10 News
    An improved add-in store experience inside Outlook: Outlook add-ins enable you to access apps and services you most commonly use - whether that's customer relationship management software, a work management service or a translator tool, right in email, so you can accomplish more, faster. Today we are announcing an improved...