Windows 10: Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??

Discus and support Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's a Shugart Associates 8 inch drive. I'm on my Glamping trip and walking through Castlegar BC and came across this computer shop. In the window on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lance1, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Lance1 Win User

Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??

It's a Shugart Associates 8 inch drive. I'm on my Glamping trip and walking through Castlegar BC and came across this computer shop. In the window on a shelf was this old drive. I haven't seen a drive like that. I went inside and asked if I could take some pics of the drive. To my surprise the guy said No Problem as I thought NO! I took some pics and was on my way after about 45 minutes of conversation. I got back to my Glamping site and started some research and found and downloaded the "CSC Hard Drive Bible 7th Edition 1994 Hard Drive Bible" And found the drive specs. See image of the specs and the drive. Obviously nonfunctional and note its a single plater. I found a video of a guy spinning one up and listen how loud it is. Anyway I thought I would relate my little experience.

:)

Lance1, Aug 14, 2021

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Aug 14, 2021
  3. Mathragh Win User
    Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Aug 14, 2021
  4. Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??

Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :

Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don't Root here plz..., Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??

1. Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive?? - Similar Threads - Anyone here old

2. Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anyone here old enough to have worked with this hard drive??: It's a Shugart Associates 8 inch drive. I'm on my Glamping trip and walking through Castlegar BC and came across this computer shop. In the window on a shelf was this old drive. I haven't seen a drive like that. I went inside and asked if I could take some pics of the drive....
  3. How to have access to an old hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to have access to an old hard drive ?: My little brother recently broke my laptop and it said that the hard drive was un detectable, so i got it changed and the repairman said that i lost access to all the data on the thing. Isn't there an other way to access ? I have work and precious family pictures on the fella...
  4. Does anyone know how to move it to the usb drive? I have enough space and the drive is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone know how to move it to the usb drive? I have enough space and the drive is...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Chungitwo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iq8ckk/does_anyone_know_how_to_move_it_to_the_usb_drive/
  5. using old hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  6. format old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format old hard drive: Do i have to format old hard drive to install windows 10 from cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-hard-drive/78cd15c3-9d15-41fe-b88a-590b61a502ec
  7. "Not enough space on hard drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Not enough space on hard drive": Hi I'm trying to install an old program on my Windows 10 computer. Everything seems OK until the "available space" on the hard drive is shown. This shows as a negative amount in Kb, I have a 2TB hard drive which is practically brand new. Help please....
  8. Portable hard drive not enough free space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Portable hard drive not enough free space.: I have a 1.5 TB back up portable hard that only has 355 GB of Free Space. It has only 2 system images from C drive (with 147 GB of used space). I have made several system images in the past on this hard drive and deleted most of them over time. 1. How can only 2 system...
  9. I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...: [img] I actually got this from an external hard drive, and I wanted to install it to my own tower. Problem is that somehow it is not receiving enough power to get the regular sata data cable to read anything off of it. What do I do honestly? 105410
  10. Not enough space on hard drive for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Not enough space on hard drive for Windows Update: Hi, I bought a laptop with a really small hard disk (32GB). A Windows 10 update appeared and it says it requires 8GB of free space. I only have 7GB free because the Windows folder occupies more than 20GB. Is there a way to clean the Windows folder or anything else I can do...