Windows 10: Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

Discus and support Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 10240 is the final build for 10, when it is released out into the wild on the 29th. After that point, they will continue to make changes, with one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Jul 24, 2015.

1. bro67 Win User

Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

10240 is the final build for 10, when it is released out into the wild on the 29th. After that point, they will continue to make changes, with one of the biggest ones is removing the Control Panel. The other could possibly be making Admin tools in the same tablet interface.

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  2. Winuser Win User

Would that work if they are in demo mode?

Winuser, Jul 25, 2015
  3. groze Win User
    Source?

I think you are forgetting they are going to still release builds to the insiders after the 29th but they could be called something different.

groze, Jul 25, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Maybe not but I would think you could at least bring up 'winver'

Edwin, Jul 25, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    All of us that are insiders will receive, is patch updates to 10240, which has been stated over and over as the final build for both RTM & to consumers on the 29th.

Windows 10 is the final OS for Microsoft. The same as their server and Office editions. All that is going to happen from this point forward, is just service packs.

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    Even if I do believe 10240 is the release version doesn't mean Microsoft not going to release new builds. Gabe said the insider program will continue after the 29th. There is build called Redstone coming out in 2016. They need version numbers for OEMs and for people who build computers.

Also you might want to check here, it looks like there are already higher build numbers.

BuildFeed

groze, Jul 25, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    groze there are not going to be anymore builds. 10240 is it. All that insiders will get before the consumers, is those items that are going to replace the outdated stuff like Control Panel, etc.. The OS package is what it is.

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  8. Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

I haven't bought an OEM system for 15+ years, so no I will not be buying a OEM device on the 29th or anytime after. Although some of those unlocked Win 8.* phones look nice and might be affordable enough to look into.

fracking4oil, Jul 25, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think it will take a while before W10 makes its appearance in new computers --there's quite a bit of existing stock to shift first and it's easier to offer people the FREE Upgrade as it's valid for ONE YEAR after W10 is released.

You might get a smaller specialized supplier offering a W10 OEM computer as a "draw" but the larger stores will just flog off their old stock first rather than spend a load of time and money re-installing all the OS'es.

Another possibility is that they might also offer to perform the upgrade later if the customer wants the store to do it rather than perform the operation themselves. This will reduce the amount of installations that the store will have to do -- but if you want to use this service I'd suggest you wait until after the initial rush has passed or you might find you have to leave the machine there for a few weeks !!!! (for what shouldn't be more than a 10 - 30 min operation !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2015
  10. bro67 Win User
    Jimbo45, they have been purging the stock out of stores and OEM's. Any stock that is loaded with 8.1, will be loaded with 10, and the stickers changed on them. Those that are low end economy units that are limited on their capabilities. The OEM's will do the same thing that they did when they brought the Windows 7 units back out on the market after 8 took off.

Deep discounts are already happening on any laptop or desktop loaded with 8.1 at this moment. When we purchased my mother-in-law's new desktop. Lenovo had $180 off on it, which brought it down to $289 out the door, with free 2 day shipping.

When I had to replace an old Celeron 900 desktop I was using. I picked up a Compaq unit loaded with Vista, that was back stock that Best Buy still had in their warehouse. Got it for a sweet deal. Since I already had 7 in hand through school, the new one got loaded with 7 pro, when I got it home.

bro67, Jul 25, 2015
  11. There is usually one or two laptops not in demo mode so you can pock around. Around here anyway, in Staples or Futureshop etc. There are usually more not in demo mode than those in demo mode. The trick is finding one turned on and logged in with the store login.

alphanumeric, Jul 25, 2015
  12. I find in Canada that in the past, new PCs preloaded with the new OS were available that day from Future Shop (now defunct), Best Buy, and the Source. This was especially the case with Windows 2000 (hard to imagine Windows 2000 preloaded on PCs alongside ME for a week in major retail places), MacOS X, Windows XP and Windows 8. The formerly going OS had pretty much vanished.

In the case of Windows 8 though, there VERY FEW people looking at PCs or notebooks. All of the activity was around Galaxy phones and tablets, and iPhones and iPads. I expect the same on July 29th.

Jody Thornton, Jul 25, 2015
  13. Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

They've been clearing old stock for a while now and most haven't ordered new inventory knowing Windows 10 is being released. I expect to see new PC's with 10 preinstalled by the OEM in stores on the 29th.

14. Slightly off topic (but I'd be happy to discuss it by PM or on the Windows 8 Forum), but where is a cheap place to get Windows 8.1 Standard (not Pro) x64, now that Windows 10 is days away. Do they sell cheap DVDs or licenses? I know I can download the ISO, but that's just the media.
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, Jul 25, 2015
  15. Define cheap? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16832416776

Thema:

1. Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th? - Similar Threads - Anyone here planning

2. I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023: I did not purchase Publisher. I never sent that request for the product and it says it has been redeemed. How can I refund this purchase and get my money back? I am a college student who needs every last cent.Order number 9531093973I also obtained spam emails on the email...
  3. I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023: I did not purchase Publisher. I never sent that request for the product and it says it has been redeemed. How can I refund this purchase and get my money back? I am a college student who needs every last cent.Order number 9531093973I also obtained spam emails on the email...
  4. Is ANYONE on here a Computer HACKING EXPERT??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is ANYONE on here a Computer HACKING EXPERT??: I am having a Major Hacking Problem, I've got a Good Anti-Virus and Firewall Program Installed and someone in the World is Hacking several "Files" into My Computer Over and Over and Over again each time I am on my Century Link Network in Denver, Colorado and I've changed my...
  5. July 29th not June 29th

in Windows 10 Support
    July 29th not June 29th: I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my W8.1 over! This is how I...
  6. Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July: Hello, I have a question : after the free upgrade period expires, how do I reinstall Windows 10 if I have it installed now? For instance, I want to reinstall it to do a Clean Up of my computer, or I am upgrading/migrating to another system (hardware) etc. 57651
  7. Hardware change after 29th July

Hardware change after 29th July: Hi all I wonder what will happen if a major component like a motherboard is changed after 29th July, will Microsoft accept it or will we have to buy a key. Many people have got away with hardware changes on OEM licenses in the past with earlier versions of Windows. 57641
  8. July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?

July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?: Hello everyone, Sorry if this question is stupid. But if I upgrade today will it still be free? According to some websites the price goes up on the 30th, but microsoft itself seems to state very strongly that the price goes up on the 29th. If I update now will I have to...
  9. Windows 10 Install after the 29th July

Windows 10 Install after the 29th July: Hi, As long as you follow the steps on the enclosed link will to get the ticket will this work for a free upgrade after the 29th July ? Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums Thanks, 54270
  10. Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends When Windows 10 was released to consumers in July of 2015, it was free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users — for one year. This was a new tactic for Microsoft. Instead of having consumers pay for...