Windows 10: Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

Discus and support Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Define cheap? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16832416776 I suppose I was hoping that there was a situation where retailers were desperate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

I suppose I was hoping that there was a situation where retailers were desperate to get rid of tons of Windows 8.1 stock and were giving it away for next to nothing. I was hoping for something like,

RETAILER: "We have too many Windows 8 DVDs in here and nobody wants them! Thirty bucks please!"
    JODY: "Er, how about two licenses for thirty bucks"
    RETAILER: "Um, uh.... crap, can you hang on for a bit?"
    JODY: "Sure"
    (Waiting!) ......

RETAILER: "My boss say you can have three licenses for thirty bucks"
    JODY: "I'm on my way!" (Sweeeeet!)

Guess not, eh? LOL

LOL

Jody Thornton, Jul 25, 2015
  2. DavidY Win User

When Windows 8 first came out, the Windows 8 Pro upgrade was £50 or less in the UK for a long time after Microsoft put the prices up. I'm guessing the retailers would have learned a lesson there and probably didn't keep too many copies of 8.1 in stock

DavidY, Jul 25, 2015
  3. I haven't been looking at all, not for 8.1 or 10. So I'haven't been paying attention to what's on offer or for how much. I have an MSDN subscription so have no need to buy Windows. The last version I bought was a Windows 7 OEM from Newegg. That was before I became an MVP. What I posted was just a quick search on Newegg. There may be deals out there, you might have to hunt for them though.

alphanumeric, Jul 25, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th?

Alpha Newegg has been running sales for the past two weeks. One of them is the Seagate 1TB for $45. Same as with other online retailers. Ultimatesteal.com may offer 10 at a discount, like they did when 7 came out.

It was six months after 8 was out, that Toshiba and others started selling units with 7 pre-installed on them. It ended up that the 7 units cost more than it cost to just get a unit with 8 pre-installed.

bro67, Jul 26, 2015
  5. Jody is just looking for install media though, not a new PC or hard drive?

alphanumeric, Jul 26, 2015
  6. And a license more specifically. But I'd buy a DVD installation disk.
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, Jul 26, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    Bdman post number 3 looks interesting. Running the troubleshooting tool - Windows 10 Forums

His pic of a pre-installed system. Actually, shows an uninstall latest preview build. So, Oem's are/were selling systems with preview build that will be automatically update to the current public release.

groze, Sep 27, 2015
  8. derekimo Win User

And how did you come to that conclusion?

derekimo, Sep 27, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    The photo in post 3. say un-install latest preview build

derekimo, I have tested different ways of installing 10. Both the preview & the release.

When I did some of those release installs, there was no previous un-install latest preview build listed there. There was an option to roll back to windows 7 though. One thing I didn't consider was BDman may have joined the insider program so his system was upgraded to the lastest preview build.

groze, Sep 27, 2015
  10. derekimo Win User
    That sounds more likely than OEM's putting preview builds on computers.

derekimo, Sep 27, 2015
  11. I went from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro, to 10 Education. Never ran a preview build, and have the "Uninstall latest preview Build" option. Clicking it just takes me to Recovery with Reset this PC or Advanced startup options. All builds likely have it. Especially if you have the Get Insider Builds option. OEM's are not going to put Preview Builds on a PC they sell to consumers. For one thing there is no free upgrade from a Preview Build to the Consumer release. You have to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1.

alphanumeric, Sep 27, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Just a thought but wasn't 10240 and insider build and then the same build came out for the OEM's to use? And wasn't that the way it worked on the 29th? The build that came down on that date was the same as the insider version(10240).

My point is.. that the build OEM's put on their PC's was likely an insider build at one time.

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
  13. derekimo Win User

Interesting theory, since they are both the same build number what you are saying is technically correct.

If you are suggesting they installed them as insider previews and then switched the activation, that doesn't sound logical to me.

derekimo, Sep 27, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Good point.. I have no idea how the OEM's activated 10. They may have used a generic key?? Not sure.

But I do know that insider build 10240 was the same as the one that was dropped on July 29th.

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
  15. derekimo Win User
    I agree, that wasn't what I was disagreeing with.

This is,

derekimo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone here planning on buying an oem w10 computer on July 29th? - Similar Threads - Anyone here planning

2. I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023: I did not purchase Publisher. I never sent that request for the product and it says it has been redeemed. How can I refund this purchase and get my money back? I am a college student who needs every last cent.Order number 9531093973I also obtained spam emails on the email...
  3. I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I did not authorize a purchase. July 29th 2023: I did not purchase Publisher. I never sent that request for the product and it says it has been redeemed. How can I refund this purchase and get my money back? I am a college student who needs every last cent.Order number 9531093973I also obtained spam emails on the email...
  4. Is ANYONE on here a Computer HACKING EXPERT??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is ANYONE on here a Computer HACKING EXPERT??: I am having a Major Hacking Problem, I've got a Good Anti-Virus and Firewall Program Installed and someone in the World is Hacking several "Files" into My Computer Over and Over and Over again each time I am on my Century Link Network in Denver, Colorado and I've changed my...
  5. July 29th not June 29th

in Windows 10 Support
    July 29th not June 29th: I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my W8.1 over! This is how I...
  6. Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July: Hello, I have a question : after the free upgrade period expires, how do I reinstall Windows 10 if I have it installed now? For instance, I want to reinstall it to do a Clean Up of my computer, or I am upgrading/migrating to another system (hardware) etc. 57651
  7. Hardware change after 29th July

Hardware change after 29th July: Hi all I wonder what will happen if a major component like a motherboard is changed after 29th July, will Microsoft accept it or will we have to buy a key. Many people have got away with hardware changes on OEM licenses in the past with earlier versions of Windows. 57641
  8. July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?

July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?: Hello everyone, Sorry if this question is stupid. But if I upgrade today will it still be free? According to some websites the price goes up on the 30th, but microsoft itself seems to state very strongly that the price goes up on the 29th. If I update now will I have to...
  9. Windows 10 Install after the 29th July

Windows 10 Install after the 29th July: Hi, As long as you follow the steps on the enclosed link will to get the ticket will this work for a free upgrade after the 29th July ? Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums Thanks, 54270
  10. Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends When Windows 10 was released to consumers in July of 2015, it was free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users — for one year. This was a new tactic for Microsoft. Instead of having consumers pay for...