Windows 10: Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size?

Discus and support Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Some of the icons built into the operating system are represented in different ways depending on their size. For example, Desktop - when in the "list"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SuperSam64, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size?

Some of the icons built into the operating system are represented in different ways depending on their size. For example, Desktop - when in the "list" view, the icon for Desktop is represented by one image, while in a "large icons" view, it is represented by an entirely different image (not just the same image in a different size).

When creating a shortcut, the icon can be changed by right clicking it and selecting Properties > Change Icon. However, this only allows the user to apply a single icon that will scale in size based on context.

I would like to specify one icon for one size, and a different icon for another size. I assume this is possible, as Windows does it with the built-in icons, although perhaps Microsoft does not offer a direct method for users to make this type of modification. So with that said, does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks!

submitted by /u/SuperSam64
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SuperSam64, Sep 30, 2020

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Sep 30, 2020
  3. LAllen1 Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop icon image changing size SOLVED

Hi,

I am having an issue with the resizing of the image of icons of shortcuts on my desktop. I have the desktop set to Large icons, however occasionally the actual images of the icons revert to the medium size. Sometimes they work and display at the correct
    size and it fixes itself (currently the issue is still persisting after restarting).

Each of the .ico files have the 256x256 image within the file.

Every time the issue occurs it happens to different shortcuts each time and there doesn't seem to be any link in how the shortcuts were created (ie. myself manually or from other clients such as Steam)

I have replaced a lot of the ico files with my own custom ones, and some are the original icons from whatever client created the shortcut and each of the .icos have the 256x256 image within the file.

Resizing the icons to a different size then back to Large icons does not fix the issue.

Changing the icon and selecting the .ico file on the custom icons does not fix the issue.

I have already run the DSIM and System file checker scans which found no violations and did not fix the issue. (using this guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system)

I know it's a small aesthetic issue but if anyone has a solution please let me know.

NOTE: I am NOT asking how to resize the icon size or add a 256x256 image to the icon. The issue is the incorrect size of the image displaying at the Large icons size.

Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size? 22e56b72-661e-48dc-91c0-675486199626.jpg

LAllen1, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size?

Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size?

1. Anyone know how to give a shortcut an icon that changes to a different image based on size? - Similar Threads - Anyone shortcut icon

2. Desktop icons are different sizes

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons are different sizes: Why would downloaded or made online ico files be different sizes on the desktop. They are all 256px by 256 arent they? I have several folders on the desktop. The icons are for these folders. Thanks all 173606
  3. anyone know how to change the icon of a shortcut to cmd? or even what format does the icon...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    anyone know how to change the icon of a shortcut to cmd? or even what format does the icon...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rrekaF [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jwn3tq/anyone_know_how_to_change_the_icon_of_a_shortcut/
  4. Anyone know what this icon is for?

Anyone know what this icon is for?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Call_Me_Bread [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ja5c5i/anyone_know_what_this_icon_is_for/
  5. Does anyone know how to change this from this to with icons and stuff. (So basically change...

Does anyone know how to change this from this to with icons and stuff. (So basically change...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Oovan8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hqlex4/does_anyone_know_how_to_change_this_from_this_to/
  6. Anyone know this program icon?

Anyone know this program icon?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/thesilentGinlasagna [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g1sbnq/anyone_know_this_program_icon/
  7. icon image size

in Windows 10 Customization
    icon image size: How do I increase the size of an image and print size inside an icon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-image-size/28dabf3d-b1a2-4950-897b-70ee904734db
  8. Different shortcut icons on different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different shortcut icons on different desktops: Is it possible to place different sets of icons on different desktop ? For example, having desktop 1 empty, desktop 2 full of files, desktop 3 with shortcuts to programmes/games, etc. Also is there a way to have a different wallpaper on each desktop, to tell them apart...
  9. Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons: My HP 15-AB271S-A Windows 10 laptop has larger desktop shortcut icons than my older E Machines E 732 laptop (which was recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both have virtually the same screen dimensions and on checking the display settings in the control panels...
  10. Does anyone know what this icon means? [Different Notification icon]

in Windows 10 Support
    Does anyone know what this icon means? [Different Notification icon]: Today when i opened my laptop, the ''Notifications'' icon was little different. Does anyone know what that means and how i can bring it back to normal? EDIT: Problem solved. It was the ''Quiet hour'' icon little bug thingy, and fixed it by checking and unchecking it only....