Windows 10: Anyone Notice Longer Boot and Shut Down times Since Creator's Update?

Discus and support Anyone Notice Longer Boot and Shut Down times Since Creator's Update? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've noticed my boot up and shut down times have increased quite a bit since the update. It isn't at the point where it's intolerable, but just curious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mr Ed, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Anyone Notice Longer Boot and Shut Down times Since Creator's Update?

I've noticed my boot up and shut down times have increased quite a bit since the update. It isn't at the point where it's intolerable, but just curious if others have noticed this. I already checked my startup programs and disabled the ones with highest impact.

Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, version1703.

:)

Mr Ed, Jun 22, 2017
  2. Cindy Naz Win User

Windows 10 - Group Policey Client Service issue

I have this notice pop up every time I open up Windows 10. Says it prevents standard users from signing in. I have contacted Support Help with this several times. They fix it, but in a couple days it is back saying same message. Is anyone else having this
    same issue? I also shut computer off and when I select shut down it shuts off the screen quick, but takes longer to shut down the tower.

Cindy Naz, Jun 22, 2017
  3. mbulger Win User
    Users not signed out on shutdown or restart - Fall Creators Update

Since I received the Fall Creators Update, I've noticed that users are no longer automatically signed out when I shut down or restart my PC. Is there a setting for this or is this a bug?

I keep different local accounts on my PC for different jobs that I'm working. I was surprised when I went to shut down my PC, I got the warning message "Someone else is still using this PC.....". I clicked on the Users icon to see who else what logged
    in. I was surprised a user from a previous power cycle was still logged in. I never do a separate logout step. I just shut down. Something changed?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

mbulger, Jun 22, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Mr Ed,

I have not noticed any real difference - if anything I would have said slightly quicker. I do have the Fast-startup option working though and without that it would take a lot longer to boot although possibly quicker to shutdown.

I'd be interested in what others have found.

philc43, Jun 22, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Mine is also Toshiba
    Windows 8.1 was 14 sec.
    Windows 10 earlier versions 24 secs.
    Windows 10 1703 about 20 secs currently.
    Those are to the Desktop appearing, assuming no special task decides on running, standard Laptop mechanical 1 TB HDD.
    I'm well aware there is a lot more to the underlying detail, but in simple terms it has improved.
    I don't measure shutdown, but I don't think that has increased.

Helmut, Jun 22, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    Sometimes there is a delay in shutting down, and other times it starts right away. This has happened since the CU update. This is with a desktop that has a fast i7 6700K CPU and 16GB of RAM.

fireberd, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    For the really curious, on SevenForums Brink published a tool to measure your restart time. It works equally well for W10, see this thread on the 'PC Custom Builds and Overclocking' forum...

What is your Windows 10 Restart Time?

...my Toshiba L750 laptop with Creators Update makes it in 129 seconds on battery power, 108 seconds when on the power supply.

8. swarfega Win User

From the time the whirly wheel appears to the time the lock screen appears takes about 4 seconds on mine. So I've not noticed any slowdown.

swarfega, Jun 22, 2017
  9. Mr Ed Win User
    Hello, Phil. Could you explain how I can enable fast startup? Thanks. Never mind. I think I've found it in power settings. I notice that "enable fast startup" box is checked, but "hibernate" box is unchecked. Does that need to be checked to enable fast startup?

Mr Ed, Jun 22, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
  11. Mr Ed Win User
    Bree, does "hibernate" need to be enabled as well? I noticed "fast startup" box is already checked.

Mr Ed, Jun 23, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Fast startup uses the same mechanism as hibernation so hibernation has to be enabled. You don't have to enable 'Hibernate: Show in power menu' though. If you only want to use fast startup you can use a smaller hibefil.sys. From the tutorial...

13. Mr Ed Win User

Thanks, Bree. I applied your suggestion and easily reduced the size of the hiberfile, using CMD prompt.

Mr Ed, Jun 24, 2017
  14. Mr Ed Win User
    Well, the startup time is now intolerably long. I get past the first screen OK, But when the 2nd screen appears it takes about 5 minutes for the log-in box to appear. I tried applying Bree's suggestion, using CMD prompt (Admin) but apparently it didn't help. I'll try it again and re-post here if there's any difference.

Here is the command I used: powercfg /h /type full. I used a space between powercfg and the 1st fwd slash. Also. a space between h and the next fwd slash. Hope that was correct.

On Edit: I did a little further reading in the tutorial Bree supplied and think I made an error. I noticed the command should have been: powercfg /h /size 0

Lesson learned: read entire tutorial before proceeding! *really

I haven't restarted the computer yet, but next time should hopefully be shorter startup. *Wink

Mr Ed, Jun 25, 2017
  15. Mr Ed Win User
    Well, a new situation just popped up. I notice that the "hibernate" check box has disappeared. I tried running the command (admin): Powercfg /hibernate on, but the "hibernate" check box didn't appear. Lots of strange things happening! I almost wish I could have stuck with the original W10 anniversary OS. The new update is causing more situations than I'm used to. *cry

Mr Ed, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Anyone Notice Longer Boot and Shut Down times Since Creator's Update? - Similar Threads - Anyone Notice Longer

2. PC shuts down with no notice

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC shuts down with no notice: I had to switch off the power supply before turning it back on in order to restart my computer after Windows 10 abruptly shut it down without any warning or error message.Attempts I've made since thendriver updates for graphics cardsrunning CCleanerran a free Avast Antivirus...
  3. PC shuts down with no notice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shuts down with no notice: I had to switch off the power supply before turning it back on in order to restart my computer after Windows 10 abruptly shut it down without any warning or error message.Attempts I've made since thendriver updates for graphics cardsrunning CCleanerran a free Avast Antivirus...
  4. PC shuts down with no notice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Probably shut down PC during Windows update and can no longer boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Probably shut down PC during Windows update and can no longer boot: Last night before going to sleep I clicked the update and shutdown button on my pc, turned off the monitor and got into bed. My pc waites for a minute for what I assumed was it installing the update and then switched off - only to subsequently switch back on again. With the...
  6. laptop shuts down without notice

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop shuts down without notice: whenever laptop is connected to Ac .. it shuts down without any notice within 15-20 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shuts-down-without-notice/823a0224-8dad-4d48-bdb6-341ec42b4f1c
  7. PC not shutting down since update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC not shutting down since update: My windows 10 PC has been running perfectly fine for the last 4 years. Two weeks ago it did a small update and now my PC refuses to shutdown, it just enters sleep mode. I have run sfc and DISM. I have turned off fast start up and and set the sleep option in power settings to...
  8. Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer: So, Windows messed up big time. I checked the "Defer Feature Upgrades" option when I reverted back to Anniversary Update, and it STILL downloaded Creators Update! I have other important upgrades as well, but now I can't install those, cause it will install Creators Build as...
  9. Shut down takes longer after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down takes longer after Creators Update: After the Creators Update was done on my PC, I shut the PC down but it took considerably longer to shut down than usual. I then started it back up to see if anything was running or something and I had nothing but a black screen with a scrambled bar across the screen. I...
  10. After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower

in Windows 10 Support
    After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower: Before the Fall Creators Update, shutting down took about 2-3 seconds (literally). After the update, it now takes 22-30 seconds. Why is this happening? Is Windows trying to do incremental additional updates during shutdown? Is this something that will automatically go back...