Windows 10: Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

Discus and support Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When you run Windows and you take a screenshot using Snip & Sketch, do you have any weird scaling issues? I have a Windows laptop with 1080p native... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IamWarmduscher, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

When you run Windows and you take a screenshot using Snip & Sketch, do you have any weird scaling issues?

I have a Windows laptop with 1080p native resolution that is connected to a 4K monitor. When I take screenshots using Snip & Sketch, a weird scaling effect happens where my screen ends up becoming really small. I think it's reverting to 1080p.

I'm asking this question here because I'm debating getting a Windows laptop with a 4K screen and a 16" Macbook Pro. I need to run Windows for finance work and it would be great to have a fully functioning 4K, especially with screenshots. I use screenshots when compiling notes.

Monitor screen without using Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch:

https://imgur.com/s93zNKZ

With Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch:

https://imgur.com/hzj2zkc

https://imgur.com/qFK8iIS

https://imgur.com/qAMSOmb

https://imgur.com/INqbW9B

submitted by /u/IamWarmduscher
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IamWarmduscher, Jul 1, 2020
  2. TH90 Win User

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

I am building a PC with windows 10. I have yet to buy my monitor.

I'm considering buying a 4k/UHD monitor but given the issues you can have with scaling (i.e. when using program's that aren't set up to cope with the scaling and therefore show up blurred) I am wondering if it is worth it at this point in the 4k/windows
    infancy? Its worth pointing out that I am thinking of buying a monitor no bigger than 24" so not using scaling won't be very good as the task bar will be tiny.

Also, (my main question) when you use the scaling its effectively at Full HD resolution, correct me if I'm wrong, so what happens when scaling is on and I want to watch a 4k video. Will it be shown in 1080p or 4k? How does it work? What is the scaling actually
    doing.

Thanks in advance.

TH90, Jul 1, 2020
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment.
    (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read anything, or it opens in a normal sized window but the text is so tiny you can't read anything.)
    I took the crash course (otherwise known as Numpty School) and corrected a few things.

• Windows Settings > System > Display > Custom Scaling Settings. I use 190. Seems good.
    But this does not work with some older programs, so...
    I also did the "High DPI Settings" trick:

• Find the programs .exe file > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change High DPI Settings >
    • Program DPI > check: Use This Setting…. (Note: “Open Advanced Scaling Settings” just opens the W10 General Settings listed above)
    • In drop down for Use DPI Settings that’s set for my main display when: change to: When I open this Program
    • High DPI Scaling Override > Check: Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Performed by: Change to: System.
    • OK > Apply > OK
    This works great for some programs but not all. Plus I need to do this for every program with a problem one at a time. Any easier way known?

But some programs don't use exe. They use dll. And they are freaking out.
    I found this fix below, a registry edit:
    • Registry > HKCU \ Software \ MS \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ AppCompatFlags \Layers
    • Add Key: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe > Set Value to: HIGHDPIAWARE

Is this a good fix for this problem?
    Does anyone know of a better, more permanent, or more universal fix?
    Thanks

4. Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

Scaling Issue With Extended Monitors

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing scaling issues when you connect a 4K monitor to the PC. For more clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. What is the make and model of the PC?
    2. How the monitors are connected to the PC?
    3. What is the build version of Windows installed on the PC?
    4. Have you tried updating the display drivers?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the article
    Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices
    and check if that helps.

Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further with the issue.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

1. Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping? - Similar Threads - Anyone using monitor

2. Seeking Solutions for 4K Scaling Issues on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking Solutions for 4K Scaling Issues on Windows: Hello everyone,I've been encountering a challenging situation with my 4K monitor setup where maintaining a 100% scaling in Windows for C# development has led to a nearly unusable user interface due to extremely small icons and text. This includes critical elements like the...
  3. Seeking Solutions for 4K Scaling Issues on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seeking Solutions for 4K Scaling Issues on Windows: Hello everyone,I've been encountering a challenging situation with my 4K monitor setup where maintaining a 100% scaling in Windows for C# development has led to a nearly unusable user interface due to extremely small icons and text. This includes critical elements like the...
  4. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  5. 4K Monitor issue

4K Monitor issue: I bought a new BENQ 4K Monitor.In Windows Explorer or on any other page including web pages the vertical lines on the square for 'Maximizing' or resizing the windows are dim. I cannot make them any thicker for better visibility.Please advise side a and side b are very dimDr....
  6. Is there anyone who uses a 32-inch 4K HDR monitor that is experiencing this issue after...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyone who uses a 32-inch 4K HDR monitor that is experiencing this issue after...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jesseinsf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nlv7db/is_there_anyone_who_uses_a_32inch_4k_hdr_monitor/
  7. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  8. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  9. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  10. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...