Windows 10: Anyone using OE Classic for email?

Discus and support Anyone using OE Classic for email? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; A friend just made a big jump from XP to 10. He had been using Outlook Express for his POP mail. OE Classic seems to be a great replacement, since it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by okanagan, May 28, 2016.

1. okanagan Win User

Anyone using OE Classic for email?

A friend just made a big jump from XP to 10. He had been using Outlook Express for his POP mail. OE Classic seems to be a great replacement, since it opened all his dbx files, complete with the folder structure he had set up in Outlook Express.

Our problem is, I can't find a way to make OE Classic respond to mailto links. He's using Chrome.

Settings>System>Default apps>Email - gives only 3 choices: Chrome, Mail, and look in the appstore

Settings>System>Default apps>Set defaults by app - OE Classic does not appear in the list of programs.

OE Classic is installed and works fine, and it's not a portable, it does show up in the add/remove programs list.

I'm guessing this is a problem with OE Classic. Any thoughts?

:)

okanagan, May 28, 2016
  2. Phz777 Win User

backup email Windows 10

Try OE Classic as a replacement -
    www.oeclassic.com

OE Classic has export tool for backing up your emails and contacts as well. But you don't really need it - because backing up is as easy as making a copy of your store folder to another disk location which makes a backup of the entire store folder data (messages,
    folders, contacts, settings...). It also supports identities like Outlook Express.

Phz777, May 28, 2016
  3. outlook app: how can I sort emails (e.g. by sender, size)?

Like I said before, that is about it. It is more of a mail preview app, the way it is now.

If you want more you need to look elsewhere. I use the free version of OE Classic (Outlook Express clone) as that is what I grew up with in Windows 98 and XP. It too is still in development but it is slowly getting there.

BeefRWijker, May 28, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

Have you tried setting the default for the .eml file type instead?

Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Anyone using OE Classic for email? [​IMG]

derekimo, May 28, 2016
  5. okanagan Win User
    He got a new PC with Win 10. I took the hard drive from the XP machine and it's a second drive for him now. He's certainly enjoying the performance boost but he wonders why he's losing functionality. With XP, Mailto links opened in Outlook Express.

okanagan, May 28, 2016
  6. okanagan Win User
    Seems like a long shot, since we're not opening .eml files but I would definitely try it. He's a half hour away so I have limited chances to work on it.

Why don't we get the same options when setting associations for protocols?

okanagan, May 28, 2016
  7. derekimo Win User
    Yeah, I don't think my idea is what you want, sorry about that.

I have no idea why you don't get those options, I just tried the paths you mentioned above and there is no option like you said.

Looking at this thread,

Mailto: in Browsers not working - Windows 10 Forums

That person somehow got thunderbird as the program. So it either used to be or still is capable, but not working.

derekimo, May 28, 2016
  8. derekimo Win User

Have you tried using control panel instead of the settings app?

Anyone using OE Classic for email? [​IMG]

That's just an example from the same tutorial above.

derekimo, May 28, 2016
  9. What pgm launches, if any, when you click on this L: Not_A_Real_Addr@Not_A_Real_Domain.z29z47.q08.com
    Are you given the option to choose? If you get "look on this pc..." navigate to the OE Classic install folder and pick the executable. Not sure you'll get the offer though.

The issue is that OE Classic is not properly registered. This happens with a few of my freeware pgms and it is an installer issue. Take a look here for an idea of what's involved - don't take any action yet.

I suppose you could brute force the mailto protocol with a registry mod. I think there are 4 or 5 keys for each bit depth - I don't have exact instructions, so hold off on this too.

Slartybart, May 28, 2016
  10. okanagan Win User
    derekimo: Yes, I tried going through control panel. OE Classic does not appear on the program list.

Slartybart: I can't click on the fake email address in your post, it's not recognized as a link. I think you are right about OE Classic not being properly registered.

I got a reply from OE Classic support and they are aware of the issue and it's a high priority to be fixed in a future version. I think we'll hold tight and copy-paste email addresses while waiting, rather than try anything drastic. Thanks for your help.

okanagan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Anyone using OE Classic for email? - Similar Threads - Anyone using Classic

2. OE Classic features free vs Pro

in Browsers and Email
    OE Classic features free vs Pro: I recently downloaded and installed the OE Classic mail client (version 3.1). (It does do IMAP now! See changelog) I did ask Zvonko Tesic <[email protected]> what "hidden" features (in the free version) are available in the Pro (paid) version. He replied with a link to the...
  3. Anyone using outlook (2019) with an outlook.com email address?

in Browsers and Email
    Anyone using outlook (2019) with an outlook.com email address?: So long story short, i ended up having to re-do outlook after the upgrade from 2016 to 2019. Learned a bit about the convolution that is pst/ost/outlook in general. I'm almost there but I had an oddity pop up id like to confirm if possible so i can move forward (or not). I...
  4. Issues after using Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after using Classic shell: I am new to windows 10 and wanted to bring back the old windows 7 start menu. I tried "classic shell" and all was great.... but then I noticed a few graphic issues. If you look at the attachments you will see that selected items have some grayed out area around the text. The...
  5. Antispam OE Hook Launcher

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Antispam OE Hook Launcher: Dear All i would like to know if it is normal to have a pop up always asking to enter my email password ? the pop up is entitled " widows security" Antispam OE Hook Launcher then askes for the password credentials of my office365 email. thank you in advance...
  6. Antispam OE Hook Launcher

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antispam OE Hook Launcher: Buen día. CAda vez que entro en mi Pc debo de poner la contraseña en " Antispam OE Hook Launcher" , a pesar de que selecciono l opción de "recordar credenciales" ¿qué debo hacer para que ya no tenga que poner la contraseña cada vez que inicio sesión. ¿de que me sirve el...
  7. Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"?: First time 10 user here and want to switch to the classic start menu view. I was under the impression that 10 added this option back and one could switch over to it? Or do I have to download a 3rd party app that will allow me to make these changes? Thanks in advance!...
  8. how to move inbox emails from xp oe to 10 oec

in Browsers and Email
    how to move inbox emails from xp oe to 10 oec: I have been trying to move xp oe inbox only emails to oec. Export/import does not work. How can I do that? 39387
  9. OE messages in trouble

in Browsers and Email
    OE messages in trouble: Yesterday my horrible boss sent me about some dozens of email messages. I’m very often using Outlook Express 6. Just today, I’ve quickly opened my Inbox Folder and I unluckily didn’t see these emails. 99155
  10. Is anybody using Classic Shell ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is anybody using Classic Shell ?: Was classic shell retained when upgrading to 16299 ? ( 16299 is also called the FALL upgrade.) 95875