Windows 10: AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives

Discus and support AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Recently, I came across what I believe to be an unfortunate design limitation of AOMEI Backupper that seals the deal (IMHO) that Macrium overall is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KabyBlue, Jul 30, 2018.

1. KabyBlue Win User

AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives

Recently, I came across what I believe to be an unfortunate design limitation of AOMEI Backupper that seals the deal (IMHO) that Macrium overall is truly is the way to go. Out of curiosity, I recently decided to use AOMEI to backup my Win10 Pro BitLocker encrypted drive (for testing purposes as MReflect is my main solution), and was taken a back by how huge the "compressed" file was.

I have a 500GB NVMe drive (465GB after format) that's currently at 48% utilization & my full MReflect backups with default compression settings are 140-150GB in size. So imagine my surprise when my first full backup with AOMEI on the same drive created a 399GB file! Ofcourse I immediately checked my settings, and all was in order -- intelligent backup was selected & compression was at the default medium. I then adjusted the settings for max compression & that shaved off a whopping 10GB. *Huh

Upon further research, it turns out AOMEI isn't able to backup an encrypted BitLocker drive (even when running inside the OS) via intelligent sector copy and defaults to "sector by sector" copy regardless of the user's settings. I confirmed the info on their forum here, here & here.

Seems like a lazy limitation if you ask me as Macrium doesn't seem to have such issues as long as it's ran inside the OS. An AOMEI representative recommend one decrypts their drive (not suspend) and encrypts after backup as a work around. *sarc

AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives [​IMG]

AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives [​IMG]

:)

KabyBlue, Jul 30, 2018

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 30, 2018
  3. zzzoom Win User
    Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media

Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive.

My setup has a Bitlockered C: drive on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, and my backup images are on E:, a portable BitLocker To Go USB3 HDD. My system is setup for UEFI/GPT boot.

The BitLocker encryption on C: has the Samsung self encrypting drive (hardware encryption) feature enabled. Test booting from a Windows Recovery Drive allows me to unlock BitLocker for both drives in the restore mode, by entering the keys.

In the Macrium Reflect Free rescue environment, I can open a command prompt and step through the manage-bde command lines to unlock E: (the external USB drive) just fine.

But when I attempt to do so for C:, I always get an error. It appears that the Samsung drive is available to be the restore target, but will be wiped during a restore. That would require re-enabling BitLocker afterwards and generating new keys.

The thing that puzzles me is that manage-bde is a Microsoft program, so I would expect it to work.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

zzzoom, Jul 30, 2018
  4. Cliff S Win User

New Macrium Reflect Updates

Something I found interesting:
    New Feature: Automatic System Restore Macrium Software Blog

Cliff S, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

1. AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives - Similar Threads - AOMEI Macrium Reflect

2. Macrium Reflect vs Acronis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect vs Acronis: I have been using Acronis for many years but lately have not been sure of its reliability. I recently tried Macrium but I noticed a difference. With Acronis when I have restored the Windows OS I have "sanitized" the SSD that had the corrupted OS on it. Then Acronis would...
  3. Macrium Reflect Password/Encrypt: Yes/No?

Macrium Reflect Password/Encrypt: Yes/No?: In the 1 in a million (at least) chance that I get nailed for ransomware (with Norton and paid Malwarebytes running), I thought I was protected having images stored on an external drive. But I guess you could increase those odds and say the attack came when the drive was...
  4. Macrium Reflect PE Environment cannot detect Bitlocker Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect PE Environment cannot detect Bitlocker Drives: Hello, I have created a bootable USB using Macrium Reflect 7.1 (Free version) with the options checked for bitlocker encrypted drives to automatically unlock. My pc has the following drives: 1 M.2 drive (OS) (encrypted) 2 1TB HDD's in RAID1 (encrypted) 1 750GB HDD (not...
  5. Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging

Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging: I may need to wipe my HDD to trial Neverware. I want to make sure I can get back my legal installation of Windows 10 Pro on this computer. What are my options? Built-in Win10 or something like Macrium? 46389
  6. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  7. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  8. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  9. Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media: Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive. My setup has a Bitlockered C: drive on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, and my backup images are on E:, a portable BitLocker To Go USB3 HDD. My...
  10. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect bitlocker

2. aomei backupper bitlocker restore process

3. bitlocker image drive

4. AOMEI Backupper Professional vs Backup4all vs Macrium Reflect,
  5. aomei backupper and bitlocker,
  6. amoei bitlocker,
  7. macruim reflect boot access disk with bitlocker,
  8. is macrium reflect 7 compatible with bitlocker,
  9. turnoff bitlocker using aomei