Windows 10: APIPA address

Discus and support APIPA address in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help me with this. For background info, I'm fully aware of APIPA 169.254.x.x addresses and what they are for. I have a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 127.0.0.1-32, Apr 8, 2020.

1. APIPA address

Hoping someone can help me with this. For background info, I'm fully aware of APIPA 169.254.x.x addresses and what they are for.

I have a problem where they have been configured on network devices in a network I am doing an audit on. I know that is wrong but there is nothing I can do about it The problem.is that I cannot route to these addresses from my windows machine because of this. When I try ping the addresses I get an error If I recall it was "general error" I can ping everything else fine. If I use my Mac, I have the same issue but I can resolve it by removing the route it has in the route table for 169.254.0.0/16 then everything works fine. I can't do this on my Windows machine because there is no route for 169.x in the route table. I have also tried various options of disabling APIPA in the registry but it doesn't seem to work.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you

:)

127.0.0.1-32, Apr 8, 2020
  2. jackin Win User

Can you communicate with a device which has APIPA address?

• Can you communicate with a device which has APIPA (169.x.x.x)address?
    • So i'm relatively new in the field of IT support and provides support remotely.
    • User was trying to set up network printer and was running HP Scan doctor, which showed that printer had 169.x.x.x IP address.
    • I informed user this will not work, but user sounds very confident and said he knows about IT and said printer is on local network and this IP address should work.
    • But i read in the networking books that APIPA 169.x.x.x is not a valid IP address so i'm sort of confused here.
    • I do know that if two devices has APIPA addresses assigned they should be able to communicate, but if not then they shouldn't be, correct.

jackin, Apr 8, 2020
  3. graye Win User
    Can you communicate with a device which has APIPA address?

Well, that last part is true, unless.... some device is acting as a router that connects the two networks.

Wouldn't it make the most sense to configure the printer to use a DHCP server to get it's address? PS: I don't know enough about the printer to tell you how to do this....

graye, Apr 8, 2020
  4. APIPA address

My laptop has 2 IP addresses

I have a new laptop I use to program machines. It is a HP Omen. It has windows 10 pro.

The problem I have is the Ethernet adaptor (wired) has 2 addresses. One is the DHCP or static address it is supposed to have. The other is an apipa address. Unfortunately it appears Windows is reporting the apipa address to the machine communications
    software. Is there a way to get rid of the spurious address?

I have searched for a solution. There is only one adaptor, a Realtek Gaming GBE family controller. The registry key shows both addresses, with the apipa address listed first. Bluetooth is disabled. Wifi works properly and has it's own address.

ControlsEngineer, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

APIPA address

1. APIPA address - Similar Threads - APIPA address

2. Windows 11 23.04.2024 update - File explorer address bar has disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23.04.2024 update - File explorer address bar has disappeared: After the update from 04.23.2024 Windows 23H2, the address bar disappeared. Tabs are also not displayed when you click the "+" sigHow can I fix it?...
  3. Windows 11 23.04.2024 update - File explorer address bar has disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 23.04.2024 update - File explorer address bar has disappeared: After the update from 04.23.2024 Windows 23H2, the address bar disappeared. Tabs are also not displayed when you click the "+" sigHow can I fix it?...
  4. My Laptop login is not going with Company email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop login is not going with Company email address: My laptop is added to MDM Intune and all our system login should happened with our company email address but my windows 11 is taking account as admin and not allowing me to set the login to company email address....
  5. My Laptop login is not going with Company email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Laptop login is not going with Company email address: My laptop is added to MDM Intune and all our system login should happened with our company email address but my windows 11 is taking account as admin and not allowing me to set the login to company email address....
  6. My PC is now linked to my child's Xbox account outlook email address and I cannot change it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is now linked to my child's Xbox account outlook email address and I cannot change it...: I logged my son into his Xbox Profile on the Xbox gaming app on my PC. Now my PC has his email associated with my account. The family settings are now applying to my PC account.Summary:Under the Accounts > Your Info it now shows my name but my 9yr old sons email address and I...
  7. My PC is now linked to my child's Xbox account outlook email address and I cannot change it...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My PC is now linked to my child's Xbox account outlook email address and I cannot change it...: I logged my son into his Xbox Profile on the Xbox gaming app on my PC. Now my PC has his email associated with my account. The family settings are now applying to my PC account.Summary:Under the Accounts > Your Info it now shows my name but my 9yr old sons email address and I...
  8. Getting APIPA Address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting APIPA Address: I recently used an ISO file to update my HP 840 G4 Laptop from W10 1803 to 21H1. I now cannot connect to web pages because I am getting an APIPA address and when I go to these pages it says "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE". I have tried many things from release/renew, resetting DHCP...
  9. Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA

Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA: I am using Windows 10 Pro, I had no issues getting an IP address from my DHCP server, but now the server is unreachable after I simply moved the machine to a different switch port. I have tried re-connecting to the old switch port, but I get the same symptoms still. Using...
  10. "169.254.x.x" "255.255.0.0" APIPA

"169.254.x.x" "255.255.0.0" APIPA: I need help, please. DHCP is not enabled for WiFi in Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/169254xx-25525500-apipa/b3e3ce7b-bf90-4f93-9c5c-5a11aa6cb8e8