Windows 10: Apostrophe key not working ***read description***

Discus and support Apostrophe key not working ***read description*** in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ok, so this started happening about a week ago, I will try to type and use the apostrophe key, but the actual symbol will not type, but if I hold shift... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RickBabcock1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Apostrophe key not working ***read description***

Ok, so this started happening about a week ago, I will try to type and use the apostrophe key, but the actual symbol will not type, but if I hold shift and hit it, quotes will type, so that is working, but for some reason apostrophe will not type.

Heres the kicker, it works when I start windows, but then about 10 seconds into getting onto my desktop, it stops working, so something is initiating and messing with my keyboard.

I have all my languages set to US and not US International. Not sure what could be causing this and Im about 3 seconds away from wiping my computer just to start over. You dont realize how important the apostrophe key is until it doesnt work because of some setting inside windows.

:)

RickBabcock1, Mar 10, 2019

2. Computer Keeps Typing Apostrophe's

My laptop keyboard is completely non-functional. It completely unresponsive since that family memeber cleaned it with wrong spray, and it wasn't typing apostrophe's from the start. It was only a month after we replaced the keyboard that the apostrophe thing happened. I don't know if it can be fixed, And I don't think it's even the problem, but what kind of shop do you want me to go to to get it replaced, if that's what I need to do?

Masterofcards, Mar 10, 2019
  3. The apostrophe/quotation mark key isnt working.

Hi,

This issue has been going on for five days or so now. I originally thought it just disconnected and was acting up and so only the letters were working, but that it would just fix itself like it has done in the past, but now it has been interfering with work
    I'm trying to get done and it seems to be the only key not working. I went over the entire keyboard to double check.

I did both of those once before, two days ago, and the results were:

• On-screen keyboard - works perfectly fine on there.
    • Troubleshoot - reported that nothing was wrong.
    I just did this once more today after reading your suggestions:

• On-screen keyboard - works perfectly fine.
    • Troubleshoot - detected that I needed to restart my device, so I restarted it, logged back in and it is still not working.
    I just did the troubleshoot once more to see if anything else appears:

Both,

• Hardware and Device - Troubleshoot reported that it couldn't identify the problem.
    • Keyboard - Troubleshoot reported that no updates or changes were necessary.

Thank you for your help. I would really love to get this resolved. This is my 8th Surface Book, each time a new systematic issue that leads to me switching it out, and its becoming extremely frustrating.

TraumaSurgeon, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Apostrophe key not working ***read description***

Computer Keeps Typing Apostrophe's

Ah, so it must be the keyboard in your laptop that is typing the apostrophes. This also makes it quite impossible to use the on-screen-keyboard.

First check if there is a function key (fn) or a hot key to disable the laptop keyboard.

There are probably only three things I can suggest:

1. Try to gently take off the apostrophe key in your laptop by referring to this guide. Then consider buying some compressed air or use a vacuum cleaner/mini vacuum on the key once the key cap has been taken off.
    2. This is more advanced and wouldn't recommend this unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing) but you could try unscrewing the laptop from the bottom and disconnecting the keyboard connector itself. You will need a disassembly guide for your specific laptop. You could also take it into a shop and get them to either disable the keyboard or possibly see if it can be replaced.
    3. Enter the BIOS by firstly completely shutting down your computer (and with your usb keyboard plugged in) turn it on and repeatedly press f10 (could also be f1, f2, f8, f12) until you see a blue/black screen that has a BIOS title at the top. Then see if you can navigate around by using the esc, arrow keys and enter keys to an option for a laptop internal keyboard. See if you can disable it by changing the option from enabled to disabled, or if you can see no option then you can't disable the laptop keyboard from the BIOS, save and exit by pressing f10 again or whatever the instructions say at the bottom.

So unfortunately it sounds like it needs to be repaired/disabled by a shop, unless you are completly sure you know how to remove your laptop keyboard.

What needs to happen now is probably a way to disable the laptop keyboard. This is not as easy as unplugging a usb keyboard as a laptop keyboard is connected inside the laptop. This usually means unscrewing multiple components to get to the keyboard laptop.

ellellell1, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Apostrophe key not working ***read description***

1. Apostrophe key not working ***read description*** - Similar Threads - Apostrophe key working

2. My Apostrophe and Enter buttons are using the Control Key? *Read Description*

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Apostrophe and Enter buttons are using the Control Key? *Read Description*: I am using Windows 11, and recently I have been having this issue where I could not use the apostrophe and the enter button properly on my keyboard. Pressing the apostrophe button would actually do nothing. However, opening On-Screen Keyboards, it shows that whenever the...
  3. My Apostrophe and Enter buttons are using the Control Key? *Read Description*

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Apostrophe and Enter buttons are using the Control Key? *Read Description*: I am using Windows 11, and recently I have been having this issue where I could not use the apostrophe and the enter button properly on my keyboard. Pressing the apostrophe button would actually do nothing. However, opening On-Screen Keyboards, it shows that whenever the...
  4. Shift 2 does not work Please read description

Shift 2 does not work Please read description: My shift 2 key does not work to type the at symbol. I have tried 4 different keyboards. My language setting is US QWERTY, I have installed English Canada, as well as English UK, Shift 2 does nothing in any of them . My shift keys work, my 2 key works, my #$% works, but shift...
  5. my apostrophe key is giving me è instead of an apostrophe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my apostrophe key is giving me è instead of an apostrophe: I am getting è instead of an apostrophe. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-apostrophe-key-is-giving-me-%C3%A8-instead-of/c6211cb8-ce7c-4d44-8cef-2cde0d5ee6b7
  6. read description

in Windows 10 Gaming
    read description: I have two accounts on my pc one has no Microsoft account and the other which is this one that I’m typing in does, they both have admin privilege's but when I try to delete the one with no Microsoft account it wont let me I even try to change that account to a user account...
  7. read description

read description: I have two accounts on my pc one has no Microsoft account and the other which is this one that I’m typing in does, they both have admin privilege's but when I try to delete the one with no Microsoft account it wont let me I even try to change that account to a user account...
  8. read description

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. WaasMedicSvc description reads " failed to read description" error 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WaasMedicSvc description reads " failed to read description" error 2: If I look in registry I see key 'description' with entry "@WaaSMedicSvcImpl.dll,-102"If I just change this to any text, the description is correct in services.msc.But what is it actually pulling from this waasmedicsvcimpl.dll,-102? Is it an offset with the description?...
  10. WaasMedicSvc description reads " failed to read description" error 2

WaasMedicSvc description reads " failed to read description" error 2: If I look in registry I see key 'description' with entry "@WaaSMedicSvcImpl.dll,-102"If I just change this to any text, the description is correct in services.msc.But what is it actually pulling from this waasmedicsvcimpl.dll,-102? Is it an offset with the description?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 keyboard apostrophe not working

2. windows 10 apostrophe not working

3. apostrophe not working on my laptop

4. keyboard apostrophe not working,
  5. windows 10 apostrophe key issues