Windows 10: "App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app?

Discus and support "App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Frustrating one. Win 10 is telling me on boot that one of my apps is being blocked. But, the dialog box does not provide any information whatsoever on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MightyDrake, Jan 2, 2018.

1. "App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app?

Frustrating one. Win 10 is telling me on boot that one of my apps is being blocked. But, the dialog box does not provide any information whatsoever on which app it is. The only buttons on the dialog are "Copy to clipboard" (only copies the message text, no additional information) and "Close."

This happens on every boot. And, about once an hour I get another one, still with no info. I have no idea if that's the same app or different ones.

Is there a log somewhere that will tell me which app is blocked?

I realize I can disable stuff until I find the program in question. But, I'm not really in the mood to sit here and watch this thing boot over and over.

I have looked in Event Viewer. But, there's no way to search across all the folders. I have to individually open each folder and sub-folder and group of events. There are at least 50 in the Windows folder, alone. That would be as tedious as a bunch of reboots. I have searched a few near the top level that look like they might apply. Only one hit on the word "blocked" in the System events. It said it's blocking the BranchCache service. I don't think that's associated with a particular app. So, I don't think that's the culprit.

Possibly connected: This started happening when I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira. So, it could have something to do with that. And/or, I also followed the steps at wikihow to disable Avira's upgrade nags.

Also, immediately after installing Avira, Windows told me that it had an update ready, which I installed. So, that might be the cause, or involved in some way.

Suggestions appreciated,

Drake Christensen

:)

MightyDrake, Jan 2, 2018

2. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

@markus8814

Upon N97 Mini map data could be stored upon either mass memory or memory card with choice available within Nokia Maps application > Settings. Don't want you removing map data unnecessarily but you may possibly need to delete both E:\cities and F:\cities
    + .qf file and re-start Nokia Maps application to re-define necessary folder structure; it may help to set Nokia Maps "Online" and download a few kb's of map data via WLAN access point by zooming in to your current location and start again downloading maps
    to chosen destination.

aspergerguy, Jan 2, 2018
  3. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

Almost certainly as not enough free phone memory to store maps.

aspergerguy, Jan 2, 2018
  4. torre Win User

"App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app?

This started happening when I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira.

Answers - Find an answer to your questions

Did you use the Avast uninstall tool ? May want to check the registry for remnants of Avast.

Also, check the above forum link.

You should have received a notification like below which identifies the app. Pls post a screenshot of the notification.

"App blocked for your protection" on boot.  How to find which app? [​IMG]

torre, Jan 3, 2018
  5. Yes. I downloaded the tool, booted to Safe Mode and ran it. Rebooted, then installed Avira.

The dialog does not look like that, at all. If it were, obviously I'd have plenty of info.

I'll try to grab a screenshot next time it happens. Worst case, I'll use my phone to take a picture.

MightyDrake, Jan 3, 2018
  6. torre Win User
    You may also want to run a scan with Malwarebytes Free, ESET online scan, or another AV.

Also, AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

Do some "googling" on Windows SmartScreen which normally prevents apps from running.

torre, Jan 3, 2018
  7. "App blocked for your protection" on boot.  How to find which app? [​IMG]

And, as I said, "Copy to clipboard" just copies that dialog text.

MightyDrake, Jan 3, 2018
  8. "App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app?

Yeah, in my searches for "This app has been blocked by your system" I saw a lot talking about SmartScreen. But, a quick skim of some of the summaries made it look like more of, "I tried to run this app and I'm told I'm blocked" type questions. I wasn't able to come up with a search phrase that filtered those out. I couldn't find anything that addressed my situation.

MightyDrake, Jan 3, 2018
  9. torre Win User
    Have you asked in the Avira forum ?

torre, Jan 3, 2018
  10. No, I haven't. My impression thus far is that that is coincidence.

But, I suppose that's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion

MightyDrake, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app?

1. "App blocked for your protection" on boot. How to find which app? - Similar Threads - App blocked protection

2. APP BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    APP BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION: Hi,I bought a Lenovo laptop with win 11 home ed, I was able to download and install all the apps I needed except for one, I have already searched and tried the solutions that I saw online but still not working.I cannot find the gpedit.msc so i downloaded the PolicyPlus app...
  3. APP BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    APP BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION: Hi,I bought a Lenovo laptop with win 11 home ed, I was able to download and install all the apps I needed except for one, I have already searched and tried the solutions that I saw online but still not working.I cannot find the gpedit.msc so i downloaded the PolicyPlus app...
  4. This App has been blocked for your protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This App has been blocked for your protection: I have an older piece of software that was running fine on Win10 until I reset my machine recently. I'm now trying to reinstall the software and I keep getting an annoying message telling me that the app is blocked for my protection. How do I get around this? [ATTACH]...
  5. This APP has been blocked for your protection

This APP has been blocked for your protection: Hello, This game I am playing has just had an update. I was trying to install it but it doesn't let me fully access the client loader. When Its finishing the update install the following error appears *Use Account Control This app has been blocked for your protection....
  6. This app has been blocked for your protection

This app has been blocked for your protection: I'm getting this error. I'm trying to run device manager because after a restart one of my dual screen monitors isn't being detected - a problem that recurs regularly. I wouldn't mind solving both of these problems [ATTACH]...
  7. This app has been blocked for your protection

This app has been blocked for your protection: When ever I try to open Windows device manager I see this message : "An administrator has blocked you from running this app, for more info contact the administrator" MMC.exe But I am the administrator ! If not how to know it. I have disabled my antivirus still the same...
  8. THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION: THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-app-has-been-blocked-for-your-protection/2c72b92a-e3f3-41cb-b7c4-00537d4f75a0"
  9. This app has been blocked for your protection.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    This app has been blocked for your protection.: Windows won't let me download my printer driver on my new laptop. It asks for Administrator permission, except I am the administrator [ATTACH]...
  10. "This App has been blocked for your protection"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "This App has been blocked for your protection": I'm trying to install additional driver for my printer/scanner from the CD but I keep getting the message above when I try autorun or setup from the disc with the following additional comment: "An administrator has blocked you from running this app, For more information,...