Windows 10: app installation problem - directory not empty

Discus and support app installation problem - directory not empty in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Trying to install Miktex after uninstalling it in Win 10. Have read other apps fail to reinstall with same error message: The specified installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jalea148, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jalea148 Win User

app installation problem - directory not empty

Trying to install Miktex after uninstalling it in Win 10. Have read other apps fail to reinstall with same error message: The specified installation directory is not empty. Have run installation as admin.
    Can install in different directory, but other apps that interface with this app fail.

:)

jalea148, Nov 16, 2016

2. Messed my N900 up - should I reflash?

Hmm. Got as far as:

mv /home/home/opt/* /home/opt

But after entering that line I get a series of "mv: cannot rename [directory]: directory is not empty" errors - one for every application i've installed it seems.

Is it safe to move on to the next line, or is that a problem?

Cheers.

Dave64---01, Nov 16, 2016
  3. Deleting C:|msi*.tmp empty folders

Thanks.

But I did not say the empty directories were malware. I said that the program that Microsoft posted on one of its responses was labeled malware by its own operating system, Windows 10. Win-10 told me that the Microsoft program was not safe because it's certificate
    was not valid - it advised me not to run it.

I am fine with deleting the empty directories ---- they cannot be really important since they have zero bytes.

I also tried to use Disk Cleanup but it did not do anything - I suppose this is (as you say) because these are empty directories, not files. And deleting them would not free much disk space. However, having 104 extra empty directories in C:\ is unsightly.

Again - the problem is that Windows will not allow the empty directories {C:\msi*.tmp] to be deleted even with administrator privileges. And it will not allow me to take ownership and delete them either.

Incidentally, all of these files are from 2013. It appears that I was able to delete the more recent directories.

John_R_Bennett, Nov 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not an unusual situation. Depends if the uninstaller deliberately leaves configuration data behind (sometimes that's an option on uninstalling) or maybe the uninstaller has been poorly configured.

If you prefer you could manually delete the folder before installing.

dalchina, Nov 16, 2016
  5. jalea148 Win User
    Thank you; removing the folder is the key. Initially, after the uninstall the folder disappeared. When the Recycle bin was emptied. Then, after deleting it, the install completed.

jalea148, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. app installation problem - directory not empty - Similar Threads - app installation problem

2. Error 0x80070091 The directory is not empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x80070091 The directory is not empty: I have a problem with a folder which I can't delete, when I try to first it gives me the error code in the title, then when I try again it lets me, but after 5 seconds of it "deleting" things file explorer just closes itself. The folder was created by mistake by an app, and...
  3. Error 0x80070091 The directory is not empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80070091 The directory is not empty: I have a problem with a folder which I can't delete, when I try to first it gives me the error code in the title, then when I try again it lets me, but after 5 seconds of it "deleting" things file explorer just closes itself. The folder was created by mistake by an app, and...
  4. Error 0x80070091 The directory is not empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Identify empty folders in Windows directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identify empty folders in Windows directory: Hello,As Windows 10 et 11 users, is there a way to designate empty folders in a Windows Explorer as "hidden" such that they are ghosted, depending on preference? A colouring scheme for empty folders would also work or any *It looks like it does not exist because this question...
  6. Identify empty folders in Windows directory

Identify empty folders in Windows directory: Hello,As Windows 10 et 11 users, is there a way to designate empty folders in a Windows Explorer as "hidden" such that they are ghosted, depending on preference? A colouring scheme for empty folders would also work or any *It looks like it does not exist because this question...
  7. Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files: Is it save and should I delete empty directories and 0 byte files just to clean things up? If it is a good idea is there a tool to find them? 179888
  8. Profile not deleted completely, Error – The directory is not empty

in Windows 10 News
    Profile not deleted completely, Error – The directory is not empty: If your user profile removal process was not completed correctly, it could show an error message saying Profile not deleted completely, Error- The directory is not empty. Although it typically appears when you delete a part of a Domain profile, you can find the same on a...
  9. Empty windows directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Empty windows directory: Hi, My laptop has stopped booting and cannot recover. When I boot from a CD and get into DOS, `dir Windows`, it says there are no files found. All the other directories are there, Users...etc. The last thing I did prior to this was to enable SMB v1 client and server. I...
  10. problem with directory permissions / installation

problem with directory permissions / installation: I run a piece of software called videopsalm. It was working fine for several months, then after a windows update it started having problems writing the temp files it needs. (unable to find/write temp files in documents subfolders) I've uninstalled it and I'm trying to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to solve during installation of miktik it is say specified installation is not empty

2. the specified instaletion directory is not empity

3. the specified installation directory is not empty miktex

4. specified installation directory is not empty,
  5. how to solve the specified directory is not emty error in mikte