Windows 10: App is stuck running in the background

Discus and support App is stuck running in the background in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been using an app for editing video (DaVinci resolve) just fine for months now. However, I have recently upgraded quite a bit of my hardware.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Amerikuyu, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Amerikuyu Win User

App is stuck running in the background

I've been using an app for editing video (DaVinci resolve) just fine for months now. However, I have recently upgraded quite a bit of my hardware. Literally everything except for the Hard Drives/SSD and the GPU. This seemed to have no problem except that since then this one particular app will not work correctly. I can run it, but it will only run in background processes. I cannot see its window or interact with it at all. And its CPU usage is actually quite high. I've tried reinstalling and installing different versions but always the same problem. I know it's unlikely that this is related to my recent hardware changes given that no other apps are affected, but that's the only thing that has changed.

:)

Amerikuyu, Sep 14, 2019

2. Apps running in Background

Hi JonBlann,

Windows 10 allows some apps to run in the background even if you never open it. This would let the applications to update itself or to get you notified with what's new with the app. However, this would consume most of your battery, bandwidth, and system
    resources.

You can refer to the steps below on how to disable apps from running in the background:

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Background apps.
    2. Under Background apps, toggle off the Let apps run in the background switch to disable all apps that come from Microsoft Store. If you want to disable only a specific app, then you can toggle off the switch next to the
      app under Choose which app can run in the background.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Monica Cam, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Jomel Ber Win User
    Apps only run as background pocesses

Hi Carmine,

To manage background apps in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings.
    • Click on Privacy on the Settings window.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Background apps.
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an
      On/Off toggle.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Sep 14, 2019
  4. App is stuck running in the background

Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

App is stuck running in the background

1. App is stuck running in the background - Similar Threads - App stuck running

2. App running as background process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App running as background process: Hello,I have been having an issue where I have an app that when opened, even when run as an administrator, runs as a background process and I am unable to actually use it. I have freshly re-installed the app numerous times and cleared out related files for fresh installs....
  3. App running as background process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App running as background process: Hello,I have been having an issue where I have an app that when opened, even when run as an administrator, runs as a background process and I am unable to actually use it. I have freshly re-installed the app numerous times and cleared out related files for fresh installs....
  4. App running as background process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App running as background process: Hello, I have been having an issue where I have an app that when opened, even when run as an administrator, runs as a background process and I am unable to actually use it. I have freshly re-installed the app numerous times and cleared out related files for fresh installs....
  5. App running as background process

App running as background process: Hello, I have been having an issue where I have an app that when opened, even when run as an administrator, runs as a background process and I am unable to actually use it. I have freshly re-installed the app numerous times and cleared out related files for fresh installs....
  6. Unknown app running in the background

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown app running in the background: So every time I start my pc I see the command prompt open for a split second before it closes again, but then I look at task manager at the startup tab, and see 2 programs called "program" and I cannot find the file's location or what it is. I don't know if this has to do...
  7. About closing an running app in background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    About closing an running app in background: Hello , I am vishal , and I am living in India , I have a doubt , A month ago , I downloaded java jdk application which is used for programming , and while I was setting up the...
  8. Apps running in background .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps running in background .: I would like to stop the possibility of certain programs to run in the windows background. How can I do that? I stopped everything from Task Manager - Startup, but it did not work. Always when I open the computer or give it a restart, the same programs run in the...
  9. Apps Running in Background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps Running in Background: Recently, I've had a lot of Windows apps running in the background- photos, calculator, and the store app, just to name a few- despite the fact that I have my computer set to not run apps in the background. Well, recently I found out that every time I turn on my computer, my...
  10. Apps running in Background

Apps running in Background: HI, I'm new to Windows 10 and need some advice. Is it safe to turn off background apps or do I need some running? What about 'mixed reality viewer,' I don't know what it is? I do use MS Edge but do I need it running all the time. ? I like to keep my Gmail, Microsoft, outlook,...