Windows 10: App launch location when using multiple monitors

Discus and support App launch location when using multiple monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, I use multiple monitors while at work (As I assume most people do now). One quirk I have seen on Windows 8/8.1 and now Windows 10 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Meeseeks, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Meeseeks Win User

App launch location when using multiple monitors

Hey Everyone,

I use multiple monitors while at work (As I assume most people do now). One quirk I have seen on Windows 8/8.1 and now Windows 10 is how the start menu launches applications. Now that Windows has start menu access on all monitors is there a way to force the apps to launch on the monitor they are being launched from? For example, I use the start menu on Monitor 3 I would expect the app to launch on Monitor 3 not Monitor 1.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

Meeseeks, Oct 14, 2015

2. Windows 10 PC - Applications do not open on the monitor I click their shortcuts on.

• Extended
    • One of the Acer UHD 28" monitors, however the problem persists when I change the primary monitor to my laptop or the other UHD monitor.
    • When I started using multiple monitors on Windows 10.
    • Yes, when I only had one monitor, the app would open on the same monitor the start button was on that was used to open the app. After I added two additional monitors, apps would open in monitors other than the one in which the start button was used to open
      them.

John_Mihalko, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Pinned Icons move to the end when opened...instead of just showing the underline when they are open.

I think it is not so much a problem with multiple monitors but with programs that launch other programs.

I have the problem with all my PortableApps.com apps; all apps in PortableApps.com are started by launchers to make them portable.

So when I pin the laucher to the taskbar, it will start the app, and this app will be shown as a different program with its own icon.

I would call this a bug in Windows 10, because this worked quite well in Windows 8.

ReinholdNagel, Oct 14, 2015
  4. App launch location when using multiple monitors

Mine remember what monitor they were last launched on. I can launch an App or Program, move it to the monitor I want it on and close it. Then after it launches on that monitor. In Windows 10 anyway. I think the first time you launch they open on what ever monitor is set as Main.

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2015
Thema:

App launch location when using multiple monitors

1. App launch location when using multiple monitors - Similar Threads - App launch location

2. Reg using multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reg using multiple monitors: hello guys, so I am attending classes, on my windows laptop, we use MS teams for the classroom interface, but sometimes the classes do get boring, and I want to work on few other projects that would be like a better use of my time. I have a usb c external monitor, which I...
  3. Use of Multiple monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use of Multiple monitor: Sir I have connected second monitor to my laptop through HDMI cable. Is it possible to use these two monitors for two different task. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-of-multiple-monitor/67b0de2a-e552-4b5c-b375-f076aeb20415
  4. Multiple monitors, multiple locations

Multiple monitors, multiple locations: My almost new HP Windows 10 laptop has two monitors, the one that came with it and another larger LG attached with an HDMI cable. The PC locks when I step away from it because it's keyed to the Bluetooth on my phone plus I use my fingerprint to log in, usually. When I return...
  5. Background when using only laptop vs. multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Background when using only laptop vs. multiple monitors: Hey folks. I was wondering if there was a way to have one desktop background that is the default when my laptop is being used on its own, and as soon as you plug in an external monitor, it automatically uses another background. I have a 3-screen setup that I use at home that...
  6. Open Multiple Windows in Specific Locations on Program Launch

Open Multiple Windows in Specific Locations on Program Launch: I would like to know if it is possible to set a program to open multiple windows in specific location when the program launches. Specifically I would like Microsoft Outlook to open 3 mailboxes and a calendar, each snapped to half the screen in different locations. I would...
  7. When I launch an app...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I launch an app...: When I launch an app, it does not connect to the web, the rolling Ikon, just keeps rolling and does not connect, tried many times but always fails... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-launch-an-app/d476e0f9-8a2b-47f9-b849-e95ede2fe9b0
  8. Multiple BSOD When Launching Various Games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD When Launching Various Games: Recently built my first custom computer and have been having issues ever since. Setup is listed below: OS: Windows 10 CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-P LGA1151 DDR4 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz Graphics Card(s): Nvidia...
  9. Apps and Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps and Multiple Monitors: Wasn't sure what to put for the heading on this. Does anyone know of a way to have an app open on a particular monitor when running more monitors than 1? The person runs 2 monitors and watches movies on 1 while working on the other. This is a part of his query...
  10. Multiple locations in Weather App?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple locations in Weather App?: Is it possible to have and view multiple locations in the weather app? 14757