Windows 10: App Permissions

Discus and support App Permissions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why is it that when I like the look of an app and read the permissions granted to it I get the information below. It seems to allow every app access to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tony bowman w10, Oct 3, 2018.

1. App Permissions

Why is it that when I like the look of an app and read the permissions granted to it I get the information below. It seems to allow every app access to everything even if it in not necessary for the correct function of the app. Surely the permissions should only relate to the correct functioning of the app and nothing else. I have to do it with MS products but am not happy allowing it for others so I don't install them.

App permissions
    Applies to: Windows 10

Some apps or games in Microsoft Store are designed to take advantage of specific hardware or software capabilities on your Windows device. A photo app might need to use your phone's camera, or a restaurant guide might use your location to recommend nearby places.

In Windows 10, use the Privacy page to choose which apps can use a particular feature. Select Start > Settings > Privacy. Select the app (for example, Calendar) and choose which app permissions are on or off.

The Privacy page won't list apps with permission to use all system resources. You can't use the Privacy settings to control what capabilities these apps can use. Windows Desktop apps fall under this category. To see the permissions for an app, go to the app product page in Microsoft Store or online. If you don’t want an app to use any of the features listed, you can choose not to install it.

Here's more info on what permissions allow an app to do:

All system resources: Use any and all system resources (such as camera, microphone, or location) without further notification. You can't control app permissions for individual system resources via the Privacy page.

Account Info: Access any of your account info.

Bluetooth: Activate and use any Bluetooth connections between your device and other devices.

Contacts: Access your contacts, people, or address book apps.

Calendar: Access your calendars.

Call History: Access history of phone calls you made on the device, in Skype or other telephony apps.

Email: Access your email and account info for your email accounts.

Facial recognition: Activate and use any facial recognition hardware.

Fingerprint reader: Activate and use any fingerprint reader hardware.

Location: Activate and use the GPS or other location-finding features on your device. Access location data in Maps and other location apps.

Messaging: Access your instant messages and account info.

Microphone: Activate and use the microphone on your device.

Motion: Activate and use the accelerometer or other motion-sensing feature on your device.

Music library: Access any music files from the Music library on your device.

Near field communications: Activate and use any near field communications (NFC) connections between your device and other devices.

Notifications: Access your notifications, found in action center.

Pictures library: Access any picture files from the Pictures library on your device.

Tasks: Access your task list in Outlook and other task-tracking apps.

Video library: Access any video files from the Video library on your device.

Voice recognition: Activate and use any voice recognition hardware.

Webcam: Activate and use the camera on your device.

WiFi: Activate and use WiFi connections between your device, the internet, and other devices.

Wired connections: Activate and use any wired connections, including Ethernet, USB, and Serial communications between your device, the internet, and other devices.

:)

tony bowman w10, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

App Permissions

Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Some apps require certain permissions to work properly. However, you can change the permissions given to the apps by following the below steps:

1. Click on Start.
    2. Click on Settings and then click on Privacy.
    3. Under the App Permissions you can change the permissions which are assigned for the apps.

However, you can go through the
    Microsoft Privacy Statement

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 5, 2018
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

App Permissions

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

App Permissions

1. App Permissions - Similar Threads - App Permissions

2. Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...: Microsoft Windows 11 keeps reinstalling the apps that I uninstall manually. Those apps have no use for me so why does Windows 11 keep installing them?...
  3. Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...: Microsoft Windows 11 keeps reinstalling the apps that I uninstall manually. Those apps have no use for me so why does Windows 11 keep installing them?...
  4. Why cant I access my Inkscape app. Says no permissions

Why cant I access my Inkscape app. Says no permissions: I updated my laptop last night and now I can't access my Inkscape app. It tells me I don't have permission it won't even let me delete it . However I was using ut before the update and restart just fine. I tried to do some things suggested in the support section with no luck....
  5. Why cant I access my Inkscape app. Says no permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why cant I access my Inkscape app. Says no permissions: I updated my laptop last night and now I can't access my Inkscape app. It tells me I don't have permission it won't even let me delete it . However I was using ut before the update and restart just fine. I tried to do some things suggested in the support section with no luck....
  6. Why do I not have background app permissions for Xbox if my computer is not in S mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I not have background app permissions for Xbox if my computer is not in S mode: I am just getting tired of trying to find an answer, I've been trying for months.. Since December and I have not found a fix... So hopefully someone here has an aswer to find background app permissions for Xbox Game Bar or Xbox app itself....
  7. Why do I not have background app permissions for Xbox if my computer is not in S mode

Why do I not have background app permissions for Xbox if my computer is not in S mode: I am just getting tired of trying to find an answer, I've been trying for months.. Since December and I have not found a fix... So hopefully someone here has an aswer to find background app permissions for Xbox Game Bar or Xbox app itself....
  8. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...: I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I have my new windows setup and working find on C:/. I can install Xbox games to C:/ just fine.However, the D:/ drive is...
  9. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...: I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I have my new windows setup and working find on C:/. I can install Xbox games to C:/ just fine.However, the D:/ drive is...
  10. [Camera App] Audio does not get recorded despite all permissions being allowed and hardware...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Camera App] Audio does not get recorded despite all permissions being allowed and hardware...: When I try to record a video via the camera app, the audio does not get recorded. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-app-audio-does-not-get-recorded-despite-all/57e88e08-bba3-45df-ae49-70af9fafde08