Windows 10: App prevents shutdown

Discus and support App prevents shutdown in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I go to shut down my computer, a pop up comes on the screen saying, "An app running in the background is preventing shut down". How can I tell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JONIBANKS1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. App prevents shutdown

When I go to shut down my computer, a pop up comes on the screen saying, "An app running in the background is preventing shut down".

How can I tell which up is running? and Can I close this app myself?

Thanks

:)

JONIBANKS1, Jul 9, 2019

2. This App is preventing shutdown message.

*Original Title: This is preventing shutdown message.

When I shutdown I get the message "this app. is preventing shutdown". Last night it showed 'DDES window'. I can't find what DDES window is. I went through the msconfig list and I don't see anything that seems to match. What is DDES window?

LamarMasonYH, Jul 9, 2019
  3. "Open app" icon with a slanted S preventing shutdown

Hello Theodore,

The app is preventing shutdown indicates that there is an open application that you might need to close in order for you to shutdown the PC directly.

To check the specific application, you may follow these steps:

• Open Task Manger by pressing Ctrl +
      Shift
      + Esc.
    • Select the Processes tab, and this will show the application that is currently open.
    • Look for the application and click End task.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Antoneth Ber, Jul 9, 2019
  4. App prevents shutdown

App with no name and no icon preventing shutdown

Hi Pierre,

There must be some services running that's preventing Shutdown. We suggest following the resolution provided by our
    MVPs in this link.

We look forward to your response.

All the best.

Roberto Ven, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

App prevents shutdown

1. App prevents shutdown - Similar Threads - App prevents shutdown

2. How to bypass "These apps are preventing shutdown"

in Windows 10 Support
    How to bypass "These apps are preventing shutdown": Hey guys Anyone know how to get rid if the above message when shutting down, ideally via gpo....(or as a last resort reg) ? Cheers. 131229
  3. Microsoft .NET framework Preventing shutdown WIndows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft .NET framework Preventing shutdown WIndows 10: When shutting down my Dell Inspiron 5555 laptop, I have been getting the screen that states this application is preventing the shutdown Microsoft .NET framework. It does shutdown when I select shutdown anyway. If I cancel the shutdown, I get the following message: I have...
  4. Preventing System Shutdown/restart

Preventing System Shutdown/restart: is there a way to avoid a forced restart? Many times I have work open, and microsoft windows FORCES a restart when I'm not watching. is there a way to absolutely PREVENT the computer from restarting due to updates?...
  5. User_Session_Monitor_Cisco is preventing shutdown

User_Session_Monitor_Cisco is preventing shutdown: Sometimes when I turn my PC off a process stops it from shutting down. '(My name)User_Session_Monitor_Cisco' I was wondering if there was an answer to this as I have not been able to find one. It's my own PC...
  6. unknown program preventing shutdown

unknown program preventing shutdown: this program is preventing my every shutdown for quite some time now. i have already checked the control panel : programs and the startup page in task manager, to get rid of programs and apps i dont need. In the task manager Startup tab, there are all normal processes you'd...
  7. SmartScreen filter prevents an app

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SmartScreen filter prevents an app: I frequently visit a banking website. Every time SmartScreen prevents being unrecognized app from starting. I start it every time by pressing more info and then Run anyway. Is there any way by which I can add this website as an exception to SmartScreen filter so that it...
  8. Dde server window preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dde server window preventing shutdown: After the last major update, my computer upon hitting shutdown, displays a pop-up stating that "The instruction 0x00007FFFFF66CC60 referenced at 0x000000000000 the memory could not be read - Click okay to terminate" and behind the pop-up, windows is indicating that the DDE...
  9. Preventing access to modern app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing access to modern app: Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be...
  10. Windows 10 "Fast Start" prevents full shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 "Fast Start" prevents full shutdown: Has anyone had a problem with a computer that will not shut down completely after Windows 10 update? I have one and discovered that if I turn off the fast start option it will shut down all the way. Curious if anyone experienced this and if there is a solution other than...