Windows 10: App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences

Discus and support App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 1803 brought a new feature in the sound settings... Apparently you can select preferred playback and recording devices based on apps. I use Nuance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ericnixmd, May 28, 2018.

1. ericnixmd Win User

App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences

1803 brought a new feature in the sound settings... Apparently you can select preferred playback and recording devices based on apps.

I use Nuance Dragon Medical Practice Edition with a Philips SpeechMike to dictate charts at the hospital. I set Dragon and the Philips Device Control Center apps to playback through the SpeechMike, but they still play back through the default device (my laptop speakers).

Has anyone gotten this to work correctly?
    @Brink sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

:)

ericnixmd, May 28, 2018

2. Frequent switching of playback and recording devices

Windows 10 user for a bit and have been seeing this as an 'issue' for quite a few versions of Windows.

I have x3 recording and x2-3 playback devices installed.

Recording

• Logitech Webcam (USB)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Blue Yeti Pro (USB)
    Playback

• Bose Speakers (Speaker port on Dell touchscreen)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Earbuds (headphones port - not always plugged in)
    Most are hardwired and one has a Bluetooth connection capability (Plantronics). I find myself often switching from one device to another, depending on the situation - recording, listening to music, taking a phone call, etc.

The current switching process is a bit cumbersome - right click the speaker in the taskbar, select playback or recording device and then picking whichever device. I find myself going thru this process x2-5 a day given whatever I am doing

It would seem to me that an app or icon / button selector would be ideal. Anyone aware of an app or device that might accommodate my need?

StevenGroves, May 29, 2018
  3. Anna Bon Win User
    Windows Keeps resetting app preferences

Hi DanielGibbons,

We understand that you are having issues with your Windows app preferences. Please answer the questions below so we can assist you further:

• What specific update was applied on your Windows 10?
    • Did it also reset your PC settings configuration, or just the app preferences specifically for videos and picture files?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, you can also try the steps below and check if it will work:

1. Perform a clean boot.
    It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Also, it helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows.

2. Once done, try to set again your preferences for videos and picture files.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anna Bon, May 29, 2018
Thema:

App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences

1. App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences - Similar Threads - App Specific Playback

2. Recording Preferences Setting not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recording Preferences Setting not showing: In Gaming > Captures the setting "Recording Preferences" does not show and displays a grey bar instead. It was working a fine few days ago. How can I fix this problem? I've restarted the laptop several times but nothing changed....
  3. Xbox Recording Preferences Not Available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Recording Preferences Not Available: I am not seeing my recording preferences and i want to enable captures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-recording-preferences-not-available/cbf040df-11c8-4491-97e5-f7def9e17f8c
  4. Windows 11 - no recording preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - no recording preferences: I have a problem when I want to use the Xbox game bar application. I can't use all the record buttons. And when I check the capture settings, there are no recording preferences. I have tried resetting the app, and editing the game dvr via regedit. But still can't work....
  5. Recording preferences not appearing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recording preferences not appearing...: Is there a way to fix this? I'm on Windows 11 by the way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recording-preferences-not-appearing/d1b02415-c96e-4cca-8c7f-021799b0d946
  6. Recording preferences not appearing...

Recording preferences not appearing...: Is there a way to fix this? I'm on Windows 11 by the way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recording-preferences-not-appearing/d1b02415-c96e-4cca-8c7f-021799b0d946
  7. Win11 - No Recording Preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 - No Recording Preferences: Please see screenshot. My recording is not working at all and I cannot enable it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-no-recording-preferences/09e7c12f-3aaa-4884-9cf0-6c223b66168c
  8. Win11 - No Recording Preferences

Win11 - No Recording Preferences: Please see screenshot. My recording is not working at all and I cannot enable it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-no-recording-preferences/09e7c12f-3aaa-4884-9cf0-6c223b66168c
  9. Gamebar recording / playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gamebar recording / playback: Hi. Can anyone help with my kids pc. He uses gamebar to capture clips of his games. And the last week or so hes not been able to play them back. Just gets a pop up saying format not supported. Im not sure if they are even recoding but the timer is moving . Thanks...
  10. App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences: 1803 brought a new feature in the sound settings... Apparently you can select preferred playback and recording devices based on apps. I use Nuance Dragon Medical Practice Edition with a Philips SpeechMike to dictate charts at the hospital. I set Dragon and the Philips...