Windows 10: App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...?

Discus and support App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all... So I have an HTPC setup for my TV. I'm using integrated graphics (Intel 8th generation), running Windows 10 Pro x64 (Version 2004... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tbessie, Sep 22, 2020.

1. tbessie Win User

App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...?

Hi all...

So I have an HTPC setup for my TV. I'm using integrated graphics (Intel 8th generation), running Windows 10 Pro x64 (Version 2004 currently), plugged into a passthrough HDMI port in a Marantz home theater receiver, and the other side of that passthrough goes to my 4k TV.

I have Windows scaling set to 200% (for readability).

Something I've noticed since I started using this system is, sometimes when I turn off the display, then back on later (the computer is running 24/7), or when I reboot the computer... when I open a new window - any app, Slack, browser, PDF viewer, etc), it opens at 50% size (or approximately), in the upper-left corner of the screen (no matter where it had been when it was last opened). I'm sure this has something to do with the scaling, but I don't know why it would happen. I would think that once Windows is running at a given display scaling factor, app windows would open at their proper size, not so small that the content isn't even viewable (scrollbars appear and I only see a small portion of the window).

I've read some people say this has something to do with Intel graphics drivers, but I don't know how that would have anything to do with it.

Anyone ever see this happen, and find a solution to it? I could disable scaling, I suppose, but then I wouldn't be able to read the screen. I could also experiment by plugging the tv directly into the computer instead of the passthrough, though I'm not sure that would make a difference, either.

I've enclosed a current screenshot so you can see the difference between the window I made this post on, and one I had opened earlier.

- Tim

App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...? [​IMG]

:)

tbessie, Sep 22, 2020
  2. jorog(2) Win User

Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Just did all the suggestions. Did not work. Display does not turn off.

This issue was from the beginning when I downloaded Win 10. I had Win 8.1 and the display always turned off as I set it.

My pc is HP Pavilion Touchsmart 23 all-in-one. According to "checking for updated drivers on display and monitors", I always get the response that the drivers currently installed are the correct ones.

jorog(2), Sep 22, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 22, 2020
  4. App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...?

AMD to Give 20 nm Optical Shrinks to Console SoCs First

Xbox 360 technical specifications - Wikipedia

Scroll down to list of revisions. Die shrinks are not consumer relevant with consoles. They bring no performance changes because consistency is the entire point of them. Unless you're batshit crazy Nintendo that is, then you get the "new 3DS" half step BS.

LAN_deRf_HA, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...?

1. App windows shrink when display turned off and back on...? - Similar Threads - App shrink display

2. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display not turning off: i am downloading some large files and want the PC to remain on but not the display i did these settings in my power options but the display does not seem to turn off can anyone tell a fix thank you...
  3. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on: Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns...
  4. Startup Apps Turn Themselves Back On When I Turn Them Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup Apps Turn Themselves Back On When I Turn Them Off: Hello, I seem to be having an issue with turning my startup apps off. In particular its CCXProcess, Creative Cloud Desktop, and Vanguard Tray Notification. I switch them off but then if I click on another setting tab or close settings and come back they've turned themselves...
  5. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  6. Fan running when display turns off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fan running when display turns off: This specifically happens when I leave my laptop open and it locks itself automatically. The display is off but some resource usage is very high because the fans start spinning at very high speeds. If I open task manager to check what it is, things just go back to normal and...
  7. Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on: If left idle, my laptop’s display will sometimes turn off after which I cannot turn it back on. It doesn’t seem to be sleeping based on the indicator light on the side, and the only thing I can do is force shut it down by holding the power button. If I manually close my...
  8. Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off: Whenever I turn off my monitors, all open apps move from monitor 2 (my primary display) to monitor 3. This only happens when the computer is NOT sleeping during the time the monitors were turned off. Does anyone have a solution to this or at least a way to quickly bring...
  9. Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on: Hi I have set power saving for display to go to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity when plugged in. And after 3 minutes, display powers off. But then shortly after that it turns back on. And then later off again. I have newer timed this intervals for turning on and second...
  10. turn off display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    turn off display: Hi, I have a screen and a tv plugged in my GC. When the TV is off, I would like the corresponding display to be turned off si my mouse don't get lost on a second screen that is not turned on. Normally I would go in the display setting page and turn it off from the...