Windows 10: AppData is being written to the wrong place

Discus and support AppData is being written to the wrong place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently had my Windows 7 desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 by a local computer shop. I had them do it because they had built the machine and were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perkinw, Jul 9, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

AppData is being written to the wrong place

I recently had my Windows 7 desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 by a local computer shop. I had them do it because they had built the machine and were familiar with the hardware. They recommended doing a clean install of Windows 10, so when I got the machine back it was necessary to re-install all my programs.

Here is the most important detail: On this machine, the OS is on C: (a 512 GB SSD) and my user profile is on D: (a 4TB HDD).

Here's the problem: programs are writing their application data to C:\Users\John\AppData rather than D:\Users\John\AppData. I know this because all the AppData on D: is dated before the upgrade, and all the AppData on C: has been created since the upgrade. I should have noticed the problem when I found it necessary to reset preferences in programs like Lightroom and Photoshop. These programs should have used the existing preferences!

I assume some environment variable was either not set, or was not set properly, by the technician who did the upgrade. If so, I'm hoping that the fix is as easy as (1) setting the variable properly, and then (2) moving C:\Users\John\AppData to D:\Users\John.

I'm not confident enough to attempt to fix this myself. I'll take the PC back to the shop and have them do it. But I'm hoping for some assurance from the community that the fix will be simple.

:)

perkinw, Jul 9, 2019

2. deleted AppData Account Picture file

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to refer the following Microsoft help article to about AppData folder.

What is the AppData folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: This link is also applicable to Windows 10 as well.

I suggest you to perform System Restore on your computer and check if you are able to get back the AppData folder.

System Restore brings a system to an operable condition after a disaster so that it can again accept and process data.

To perform System Restore follow the step provided below.

• Press Windows Key + R Key
    • Type rstrui and press Enter.

Hope this resolves your issue. Do let us know if it helped. For further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 9, 2019
  3. How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 9, 2019
  4. AppData is being written to the wrong place

How to recover deleted appdata file

Hi Michelle,

The AppData folder would have data regarding the applications in the computer. If its contents are deleted, data would be lost and you may not be able to use some applications as well. To isolate your concern, answer the following question:

• What error message are you getting after you deleted an AppData file?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Here are the steps on how to restore files:

• Type Restore files in the search box on the taskbar, then, select
      Restore your files with File History.
    • Look for the file you need, then use the arrows to see all its versions.
    • When you find the version you want, select Restore to save it in its original location. To save it in a different place, press and hold (or right-click)
      Restore, select Restore to, and then choose a new location.

It's always good to have a backup of your files on another drive in case something happens to the originals. Check this

link
    on how to Back up and restore your files.

Let us know if you need more help.

Marvelos Reg, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

AppData is being written to the wrong place

1. AppData is being written to the wrong place - Similar Threads - AppData being written

2. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  3. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  4. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Microphone being recorded from the wrong place.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone being recorded from the wrong place.: I recently got a gaming headset for my computer and I wanted to use it. I go into audacity to see what the audio sounds like and I hear nothing. I check with my phone and audio comes out fine. I tap the side of my headset where my microphone is attached to the headset and it...
  6. Xbox Apps Installing in Wrong Place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox Apps Installing in Wrong Place: Hello, So the way the Xbox app installs games is nothing short of stupidly backwards in any case - but this problem is really infuriating. The Xbox app will continuously install games to my C: drive boot drive. Well, that would be fine I guess, if I was allowed to move...
  7. Written script on facebook is being changed to unreadable symbols

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Written script on facebook is being changed to unreadable symbols: The writing on my page keeps changing to symbols, I don't believe it is another language. I keep using the translator to change it back to English but it just keeps changing back again. This started on its own...
  8. Windows files appearing in the wrong places.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows files appearing in the wrong places.: I have a set of files (I'm not 100% sure what they are, I'm just assuming they are Windows related.) that are appearing on my storage SSD. My windows is installed on my 970 pro M.2, but these files keep appearing on my 850 evo for some reason. The 850 was in a previous...
  9. Downloads Placed in AppData/Local/Temp folder

in Browsers and Email
    Downloads Placed in AppData/Local/Temp folder: Using FF 57.0.2 (64-bit) This issue started after 11-16/17. Both FF and Win 10 are set to put downloads in the Download folder. Also, about this same time, opening a new Tab in FF displays a useless screen, which is not a problem, but I wonder if this change is part of...
  10. can't delete files in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Support
    can't delete files in the wrong place: two files have appeared inside my lifelock program and i can't delete them. other ways to delete than using the delete button? ETA: sorry. the program is folderlock. 68303