Windows 10: AppData is being written to the wrong place

Discus and support AppData is being written to the wrong place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently had my Windows 7 desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 by a local computer shop. I had them do it because they had built the machine and were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perkinw, Jul 9, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

AppData is being written to the wrong place

I recently had my Windows 7 desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 by a local computer shop. I had them do it because they had built the machine and were familiar with the hardware. They recommended doing a clean install of Windows 10, so when I got the machine back it was necessary to re-install all my programs.

Here is the most important detail: On this machine, the OS is on C: (a 512 GB SSD) and my user profile is on D: (a 4TB HDD).

Here's the problem: programs are writing their application data to C:\Users\John\AppData rather than D:\Users\John\AppData. I know this because all the AppData on D: is dated before the upgrade, and all the AppData on C: has been created since the upgrade. I should have noticed the problem when I found it necessary to reset preferences in programs like Lightroom and Photoshop. These programs should have used the existing preferences!

I assume some environment variable was either not set, or was not set properly, by the technician who did the upgrade. If so, I'm hoping that the fix is as easy as (1) setting the variable properly, and then (2) moving C:\Users\John\AppData to D:\Users\John.

I'm not confident enough to attempt to fix this myself. I'll take the PC back to the shop and have them do it. But I'm hoping for some assurance from the community that the fix will be simple.

:)

perkinw, Jul 9, 2019

2. deleted AppData Account Picture file

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to refer the following Microsoft help article to about AppData folder.

What is the AppData folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: This link is also applicable to Windows 10 as well.

I suggest you to perform System Restore on your computer and check if you are able to get back the AppData folder.

System Restore brings a system to an operable condition after a disaster so that it can again accept and process data.

To perform System Restore follow the step provided below.

• Press Windows Key + R Key
    • Type rstrui and press Enter.

Hope this resolves your issue. Do let us know if it helped. For further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 9, 2019
  3. How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 9, 2019
  4. AppData is being written to the wrong place

How to recover deleted appdata file

Hi Michelle,

The AppData folder would have data regarding the applications in the computer. If its contents are deleted, data would be lost and you may not be able to use some applications as well. To isolate your concern, answer the following question:

• What error message are you getting after you deleted an AppData file?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Here are the steps on how to restore files:

• Type Restore files in the search box on the taskbar, then, select
      Restore your files with File History.
    • Look for the file you need, then use the arrows to see all its versions.
    • When you find the version you want, select Restore to save it in its original location. To save it in a different place, press and hold (or right-click)
      Restore, select Restore to, and then choose a new location.

It's always good to have a backup of your files on another drive in case something happens to the originals. Check this

link
    on how to Back up and restore your files.

Let us know if you need more help.

Marvelos Reg, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

AppData is being written to the wrong place

1. AppData is being written to the wrong place - Similar Threads - AppData being written

2. Downloads are failing to be written?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Downloads are failing to be written?: Attempts to download software applications are failing to complete. Using Lenovo desktop with Windows 10. Previously, no problem with downloads. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloads-are-failing-to-be-written/21da840a-8a98-47d2-910c-78543ee49a24
  3. AppData

in Windows 10 Customization
    AppData: Hi I am using Windows 10 and recently I have reset my laptop. Now while starting the laptop, this dialogue box seems as "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\dcjbcsvj\tghvatvu.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."...
  4. Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column: Normally I download things to the desktop for easy access, but for the past few weeks I've been having this issue where every so often a file I save to the desktop will appear in the "middle" of the first left most column of shortcut icons. This then shifts all icons below it...
  5. My documents and AppData is being compressed on each startup.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My documents and AppData is being compressed on each startup.: Have this annoying problem, where 2 of my folders automatically gets "compressed" (two arrows pointing as an icon). This ofcourse is a problem on "my documents" and "appdata", as this is folders that is used by a lot of programs. Its only these 2 folders that gets...
  6. Downloads Placed in AppData/Local/Temp folder

in Browsers and Email
    Downloads Placed in AppData/Local/Temp folder: Using FF 57.0.2 (64-bit) This issue started after 11-16/17. Both FF and Win 10 are set to put downloads in the Download folder. Also, about this same time, opening a new Tab in FF displays a useless screen, which is not a problem, but I wonder if this change is part of...
  7. Firefox settings not being saved - AppData folder is read only

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox settings not being saved - AppData folder is read only: I have to admit that I am struggling with Windows 10. I prefer Win XP, I'm used to Windows 7 but I'm stuck with Windows 10. At the age of 75 change does not go down too well. For weeks I've been having trouble with Firefox not saving settings, losing it's history, ignoring...
  8. Default apps reset, Windows looking for data in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps reset, Windows looking for data in the wrong place: Hi everyone, 6 days ago, I installed a sizeable update ( version 1709). Afterwards, Windows didn't know what programs to use for many files, including any pictures or archives. I use Picasa & WinRar respectively, and I had to find their .exe and set them as default again....
  9. can't delete files in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Support
    can't delete files in the wrong place: two files have appeared inside my lifelock program and i can't delete them. other ways to delete than using the delete button? ETA: sorry. the program is folderlock. 68303
  10. Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.: Hi, In the quick access area of the file browser the documents folder is pointing to a drive that no longer exists. The folder is pinned to the top of the file list and it wont unpin. How do I either unpin it or make it point to the correct location. Many Thanks 27250