Windows 10: %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive

Discus and support %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have found some discussions on this but none are very clear. It seems that the only way to access a profile on the old drive is through %appdata%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikeincousa, Oct 5, 2018.

1. mikeincousa Win User

%appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive

I have found some discussions on this but none are very clear.

It seems that the only way to access a profile on the old drive is through %appdata% from the Run menu.

The run then %appdata% works on my current machine.

But I have not been able to figure out how to search for %appdata%
    in the old drive from the new drive.

Maybe there is some way to do this from the command line?

Any tips for making the transfers?

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

mikeincousa, Oct 5, 2018
  2. pbmaster Win User

Thunderbird problems

Right, so my gf's dad tried to back up his mail from Thunderbird to a network HDD by changing the location of the local folder for all his accounts, which is like 3 or 4. Now, none of his mail or accounts show up in Thunderbird and they aren't listed on the network drive. I was able to locate all the mail in its original location in AppData, but I don't know how to get it back to the way it was. Any ideas would help, thanks in advance.

pbmaster, Oct 5, 2018
  3. John582n Win User
    Windows Live Issue & Thunderbird folders

Hi Allan

Windows Live Mail

Could be a corrupt WLM database. I suggest you try the following (assuming you use the default location of the WLM data).

Warning - this process will remove your email accounts and all emails in the mail boxes and Storage Folders

• Close Windows Live Mail
    • In File Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft, locate the Windows Live Mail folder
    • Make a backup of the Windows Live Mail folder on a flash drive or somewhere else. (With this backup you will at least be able to view individual mail messages)
    • Delete the Windows Live Mail Folder
    • Restart Windows Live Mail - it should behave like when it first installed, requesting your account details etc.

Thunderbird

Which INI files did you rename? If you didn't rename any ini files in the folder C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles, do the following:

• Close Thunderbird
    • Make a backup copy of C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles
    • Delete the folder
    • Uninstall Thunderbird
    • Reinstall Thunderbird but don't start it
    • Restore the above folder fro the backup
    • Start Thunderbird.

If that doesn't work try playing around with the Thunderbird Profile Manager

• Hold Windows key and tap R, enter the following exactly with quotes etc. in the "Open" box, OK
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P
    • If you see "Default User", select it and tick "Use the selected profile without asking at startup"
    • Click Start Thunderbird and see if your profile (messages, accounts, contacts) appears
    • If not, close Thunderbird, Start the Thunderbird Profile Manager again
    • This time click "Create profile" to start a wizard, click Next
    • Enter a profile name, click Choose folder
    • See if you can locate your profile folder, select it. Start Thunderbird

John582n, Oct 5, 2018
  4. TimDoran Win User

Recover Thunderbird profile after Windows 10 Creators Update failed completely

Hello,

I would like to recover my Thunderbird profile folder after the Windows 10 Creators Update failed, along with all Windows 10 built-in rescue and / or recovery options.

I have been able to recover almost all my document, photo, video and audio files using the method described here: "Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start," which can be found at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-start/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6

However, I cannot get to my T'bird profile folder, which Thunderbird stores in the \users\username\appdata\Roaming folder.

I can get to the Users folder, but it does not contain the Thunderbird profile folder as it does when Win 10 is properly installed.

I've tried unsuccessfully navigating through the command prompt, which launches at x:\windows\system32

But the update process recreated the drive structure, and I am not able to change to another directory, although I can move up a level to x:\windows and get a dir listing. I admit I have forgotten nearly every DOS command I ever
    learned years ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

TimDoran, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

1. %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive - Similar Threads - %appdata% Failed Drive

2. RAIDing Profile Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAIDing Profile Drive: My computer has the OS and such on C: and user profiles/documents on D: I want to set up RAID for D. I found out I need to clone D to a third drive, set up a storage pool, then clone that third disk back to the storage pool. I can't clone to the storage pool using macrium,...
  3. RAIDing Profile Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    RAIDing Profile Drive: My computer has the OS and such on C: and user profiles/documents on D: I want to set up RAID for D. I found out I need to clone D to a third drive, set up a storage pool, then clone that third disk back to the storage pool. I can't clone to the storage pool using macrium,...
  4. hard drive move

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...
  5. Move folders from AppData Roaming from one user profile to another?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Move folders from AppData Roaming from one user profile to another?: Does anyone know whether it is possible to move (or copy) folders from C:\User\AppData\Roaming to another User profile/account? 101239
  6. How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive: *Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user. If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to do this for a...
  7. Drive Letters Moved

Drive Letters Moved: I didn't know where else to post this. All of a sudden I lost some usb 2.0 & all 3.0 ports and my C: drive is now F:. I tried to remove my usb hubs so windows could re-detect them. No go. I deleted the partition on my ssd to reinstall and I still have a drive partition C:....
  8. Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC: I have 2 drives that were using windows mirroring (Under Disk Management) in my old PC. I've moved them to my new PC, but made a mistake. I'm only running Windows 10 Home instead of Pro. So when I imported foreign disks they came in as 2 separate disks instead of 1....
  9. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...
  10. Suspicious AppData Profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Suspicious AppData Profile: I am wondering what this Chinese profile is, it looks suspicious to me. [img] 7916