Windows 10: Appearance and permissions

Discus and support Appearance and permissions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't like the font on the desktop icons. When I go to Settings/Personalization/Themes/Desktop icon settings, it tells me "Windows cannot access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LisaSandmeyer1, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Appearance and permissions

I don't like the font on the desktop icons. When I go to Settings/Personalization/Themes/Desktop icon settings, it tells me "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the items."

Huh?

All I want to do is get rid of that stupid outline font and get something readable.

:)

LisaSandmeyer1, Nov 29, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 29, 2019
  3. Marby Rey Win User
    no administrator permission

Hi Ryan,

Let us assist you to have an Administrator permission. To start, follow the steps below to enable the Windows Super Administrator Account.

• Type CMD on the search box.
    • CMD will appear at top.
    • Right click on it, then choose Run as administrator.
    • Type this command & hit Enter: Net user administrator /active:yes.
    • After you enable the Super Administrator account, log out on your existing account then log into Super Administrator account.
    • On the Super Administrator account, you can now create an Administrator account or give Administrator permission on the existing account.

After you created an Administrator account, we suggest that you disable the Super Administrator account by following the same steps and using this command:
    Net user administrator /active:no.

Let us know how it goes.

Marby Rey, Nov 29, 2019
  4. Appearance and permissions

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

Appearance and permissions

1. Appearance and permissions - Similar Threads - Appearance permissions

2. It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive: Some of my folders in my personal one drive will not open.They are downloaded to my hard drive indicated by green tick but will not allow me to open them, getting the error - "It appears you do not have permission to view this file".I can however open the files on another PC...
  3. It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive: Some of my folders in my personal one drive will not open.They are downloaded to my hard drive indicated by green tick but will not allow me to open them, getting the error - "It appears you do not have permission to view this file".I can however open the files on another PC...
  4. Message appeared after removing a permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Message appeared after removing a permission: Hello, I was reverting permissions on a System32 folder back to normal but while doing so, I accidentally made a duplicate permission of the Administrators account so I went to Edit Permissions and clicked remove on the duplicate, but a warning message appeared. It still got...
  5. Message appeared after removing a permission

Message appeared after removing a permission: Hello, I was reverting permissions on a System32 folder back to normal but while doing so, I accidentally made a duplicate permission of the Administrators account so I went to Edit Permissions and clicked remove on the duplicate, but a warning message appeared. It still got...
  6. Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.

Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.: Hello, I recently changed permissions in a System32 folder to fix an issue I had, it was fixed, but when trying to revert back to the old permissions, I accidentally made a duplicate of the Administrators account for that folder, so I went to edit permissions and click remove...
  7. Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.

Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.: Hello, I recently changed permissions in a System32 folder to fix an issue I had, it was fixed, but when trying to revert back to the old permissions, I accidentally made a duplicate of the Administrators account for that folder, so I went to edit permissions and click remove...
  8. Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Error/Warning appears when I changed permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. My info laptop appearing automatically on microsoft.com without permission.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My info laptop appearing automatically on microsoft.com without permission.: I'm using Window 10 and I have an account on microsoft.com website. My device info has been displayed on microsoft.com many times though I removed it from settings. Recently, there have been issues happening to me. Excel file is opened and appeared automatically; some words...