Windows 10: Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons?

Discus and support Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home factory installed on a new HP Envy. On boot up, there are times when the taskbar doesn't become populated and the default icons on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flycaster, Jan 6, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons?

Windows 10 Home factory installed on a new HP Envy. On boot up, there are times when the taskbar doesn't become populated and the default icons on the right and left don't function. Then there are times when the taskbar icons are populating, but the default icons don't function. And then there are times when all is working properly. I don't know why this happens, but I have noticed this: At night I shut the computer down. This morning when booting up, the computer went very quickly to the initial opening screen. Clicking on this screen then opens the password screen, and after entering the pw, windows opens fully but without a populated taskbar or functioning default icons. I then restarted the computer, but this time the boot-up took a longer time. The HP logo appeared with the "circling" icon, then there was the blue screen with the "circling" icon and finally the opening screen that needs to be clicked to then open the password screen. Entered the pw and the windows screen opened with a fully populated taskbar and functioning default icons. Bugs? Windows self-correcting problem? How does one get a consistently proper opening?

:)

flycaster, Jan 6, 2016
  2. JulieB44 Win User

Surface Pro 4 Taskbar Not Appearing After Sleep

I found that the taskbar disappeared in tablet mode. If I went to the settings - display - tablet mode- and changed the show/hide taskbar in tablet mode (turned it off) the taskbar appeared.

JulieB44, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Microsoft Edge Does Not Appear in Taskbar

The icon for Microsoft Edge disappeared from the taskbar and is not visible in the startup menu. Edge can be opened to run, but when it is open it does not appear on the taskbar so when you leave Edge to go to another program, Edge is not visible on taskbar.
    How can I get Edge to appear on taskbar?

LarryBird210, Jan 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

The symptoms you are describing show you have fast start-up enabled (which is the default) and this triggers a fast startup after a normal shutdown. However, if you do a restart it does not activate the fast start which is why you found it was slower to boot up.

You could try turning fast start off and see if you get better consistency for a while with the trade-off of a slower boot time. You will find this setting in Power Options and "choose what the power buttons do".

philc43, Jan 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Troubleshooting suggestion..................................
    Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any is found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  6. flycaster Win User
    Tried to run the scannow, but was prompted that I need to be the administrator. Always thought that I was the administrator as whenever prompted to continue as administrator, I'd click continue and there was not problem???

flycaster, Jan 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    ......... I'd click continue and there was not problem.....................
    What do you mean by that ? I don't understand.

Did follow my instructions ?
    My instructions start with.....................................Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) >

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  8. flycaster Win User

My bad, I clicked the regular command prompt, will now do this correctly and let you know what's happening

EDIT:
    Ran the scan, no integrity problems found.

flycaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons? - Similar Threads - Appearing disappearing taskbar

2. The volume icon on the taskbar disappeared

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The volume icon on the taskbar disappeared: Hi, since the last update of Windows 10, the volume icon on the taskbar disappeared. Any help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-volume-icon-on-the-taskbar-disappeared/42779717-0a43-4d1d-878c-92f7ee0c0bb1
  3. Why is the icon not appearing on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the icon not appearing on taskbar?: This happens 50% of the time though. Once I went to desktop straight-away from lower-right corner in taskbar and couldn't find it. Had to run it again to use it. Here's the picture: [img] 148808
  4. Network Icon not appearing in taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Icon not appearing in taskbar: Hi, I've been having issues with my network icon not appearing in the taskbar of my PC. I've gone through several online articles looking for assistance. For example, I went to Settings> System> Notifications and Actions> Turn System Icons on and off. But when I go there,...
  5. Volume Icon not appearing in taskbar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume Icon not appearing in taskbar: Sometimes when I restart my PC the volume button doesn't show up in the Task-bar. Some days its there and its fine but other days I cant seem to locate it and going in and manually disabling it and re-enabling it does nothing. The pictures below show my task-bar without an...
  6. speaker icon disappears on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    speaker icon disappears on taskbar: Hi, i notice that the speaker icon on my taskbar disappears. my display setting is set to 1360 x 768 (recommended), speaker setting is turn on. if i set the display setting other than recommended the speaker icon reappears. how can i have the speaker icon stay on the...
  7. Icons In Taskbar Keep Disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons In Taskbar Keep Disappearing: I keep getting this blank document icon instead of the correct icon in Windows 10 Pro. It does happen with a few different apps but it's almost exclusively Adobe programs. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks. [img] 51212
  8. No taskbar, no icons appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    No taskbar, no icons appearing: I can't get into the settings to factory reset my computer. I use windows buttom + i. It never loads. I already tried going into powershell and copy and pasting what's normally pasted into there. It never finishes loading up the command so I just close it after. Please Help...
  9. Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Icons Disappeared: Back in November of 2015 I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I run a two monitor setup. The taskbar icons used to appear on both of my monitors, but now only appear on my secondary. I've tried the option to have taskbar icons appear on all monitors. Doesn't work. I should add...
  10. No program icons on taskbar appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    No program icons on taskbar appearing: So I just upgraded my grandma's laptop to Win 10 for her. Now, when I open any app, no taskbar icon is placed on the taskbar. I could have 5 apps open and the only thing on the taskbar are the start button, cortana search bar and the task view button. Any ideas why this is...