Windows 10: Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X

Discus and support Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Based on the new benchmarks, we can confidently say that Apple M1 processor is impressive and it currently runs Windows 10 faster than the processor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 29, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X

Based on the new benchmarks, we can confidently say that Apple M1 processor is impressive and it currently runs Windows 10 faster than the processor that ships with Microsoft’s Surface Pro X lineup.

Apple’s ARM-based M1 processor is currently available in the MacBook and Mac Mini, and the devices running on Apple Silicon are already available for purchase. Apple isn’t the only company investing in ARM for their computers as Microsoft is one of the first to highlight the benefits of ARM chips using its Surface Pro X lineup.

Way back in 2016, Microsoft officially commenced the work on ‘Windows 10 ARM‘ with the focus on battery life and always-connected internet connectivity.

Windows 10 on ARM is a version of the operating system designed to run on ARM-based hardware, such as the Qualcomm Snapdragon and Samsung Exynos. Technically, Windows 10 ARM should be able to run on Apple M1 processors too, but it’s will happen only when Microsoft is willing to change the licensing agreement.

Unsurprisingly, developers out there have already managed to run Windows 10 ARM on Apple M1 processors via virtualization.

Developers were able to virtualize Windows 10 ARM on Apple M1 chip using the open-source QEMU service, and it turns out that M1‌ chip is capable of running Microsoft’s operating system faster than the Surface Pro X.

Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X Apple-M1-Windows-10-benchmark.jpg

The Geekbench results show that Apple’s M1 chip has a single-core score of over 1390 and a multi-core score of over 4,769 when tested with Windows 10 ARM in virtualization. On the other hand, Surface Pro X is only able to fetch 802 single-core score and 3104 multi-core score.

Surface Pro X is the only truly powerful Windows ARM PC on the market and Microsoft has used a custom version of Snapdragon processor called the SQ1 for its Surface Pro X.

The results don’t look good for Microsoft and Qualcomm, given that the Windows 10 is running via virtualization on Apple hardware.

Nonetheless, competition is always good and Apple could push Qualcomm to do better with their Snapdragon processors. Both Microsoft and Qualcomm should be refreshing their hardware pretty soon, possibly in the second half of 2021.

The post Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 29, 2020

2. Surface Pro X ARM

Hi Mike

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Surface Pro X ships with an ARM processor. Currently ARM processors support only 32-bit programs. You may check the responses here- the marked answer and the link given by Barb that explains the ARM architecture in detail.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/for...

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Nov 29, 2020
  3. Surface Pro X ARM

Yes, for work needs I suggest going for Surface Laptop 7 or Surface Pro.

However X is going to be a great device in the future when support for ARM64 arrives.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Nov 29, 2020
  4. thesinex Win User

Surface Pro X ARM

Surface X Pro

A previous chromebook user, You have to go into the x pro at the moment on the basis that office 365 and the new Microsoft Edge browser for ARM which is now in the Canary channel will
    cover your needs, its exactly the laptop/tablet I need. I do a few emails, some limited excel work and browsing the web so
    Canary which is built natively for the ARM64 enables a fast full browser experience. I move between two locations, like most i do a lot of work on my phone but need
    a light weight table and occasional laptop, see this devise as a complement to your home intel computer for now!

thesinex, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X - Similar Threads - Apple runs ARM

2. Windows Surface Pro X ARM - Windows 11 Pro - Installing VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Surface Pro X ARM - Windows 11 Pro - Installing VirtualBox: VirtualBox www.virtualbox.org will not install on the ARM based Surface Pro X running Windows 11 Pro. Why is this? Windows 11 ARM supports 64bit applications so VirtualBox should run ok. Please advise....
  3. Windows Surface Pro X ARM - Windows 11 Pro - Installing VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Surface Pro X ARM - Windows 11 Pro - Installing VirtualBox: VirtualBox www.virtualbox.org will not install on the ARM based Surface Pro X running Windows 11 Pro. Why is this? Windows 11 ARM supports 64bit applications so VirtualBox should run ok. Please advise....
  4. Windows 11 Pro ARM for Mac with M1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro ARM for Mac with M1: I'm currently running the latest Dev channel of Windows 11 ARM on a Mac with an M1 chip. I want to switch to the Pre-release channel but am having trouble figuring out if there is even a Pre-release version of Windows 11 Pro ARM. I've read that I have to do a clean install of...
  5. Windows 11 Pro ARM for Mac with M1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro ARM for Mac with M1: I'm currently running the latest Dev channel of Windows 11 ARM on a Mac with an M1 chip. I want to switch to the Pre-release channel but am having trouble figuring out if there is even a Pre-release version of Windows 11 Pro ARM. I've read that I have to do a clean install of...
  6. Parallels - ARM - M1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Parallels - ARM - M1: When I switched to Apple M1 Desktop I used Windows 10 ARM edition. I can no longer use my previous Windows 10 license key I purchased for earlier Parallels edition no longer active,How do I transfer my purchased Window License key to new configuration?Thanks in advance...
  7. Developer shows off Windows 10X running on Lumia, Apple M1, Surface Go

in Windows 10 News
    Developer shows off Windows 10X running on Lumia, Apple M1, Surface Go: Earlier this month, Windows 10X unreleased build leaked online, giving the public first glimpse at the upcoming operating system with new Start Menu and Action Center. It only took a few days for developers to get it running on a Lumia phone, Surface Go (Intel Core m3), and...
  8. Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip

in Windows 10 News
    Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip: The Apple M1 chip has managed to crush the Surface Pro X in early benchmarks, but it could soon face real competition. That’s because Qualcomm is finally working on a powerful ARM-based chip for PCs and it’s nearly ready. The latest MacBook Air and Mac Mini use Apple’s...
  9. Apple M1 runs Windows nearly 2 times faster than Microsoft’s hardware

in Windows 10 News
    Apple M1 runs Windows nearly 2 times faster than Microsoft’s hardware: According to the latest benchmarks, Apple M1 is capable of running ‘Windows 10 on ARM’ nearly two times faster than Microsoft’s own hardware. The updated benchmark shows that Windows 10 on Apple M1 is way faster than the Surface Pro X, which runs the OS natively and comes...
  10. Surface Pro X ARM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro X ARM: I just purchased a new Surface Pro X. G-Suite for Outlook does not work (if you can get it to install it does not synch). Also, Google Drive File Stream will not install. During the installation process it stops and says 'Installation Failed' and that's it. Any idea on...