Windows 10: Application allowed to use location

Discus and support Application allowed to use location in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; If you Go in Settings -> Location. You can enable/disable the location service and if you configure it as enabled you can change this permission on a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Olive, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Olive Win User

Application allowed to use location

If you Go in Settings -> Location. You can enable/disable the location service and if you configure it as enabled you can change this permission on a per app basis. I have enabled some apps to use my location. I have have installed the Chrome web browser. It seems able to access it whatever I configure in the settings even if I disable the location service completely. Why?

Notice that it usually ask me to confirm but it is Chrome that asks, Windows does nothing to prevent it to access it. Maybe it is able to use an alternative method bypassing the Windows mechanism? Note that it is somehow plausible because it also works in Linux where there is no location service in the system.

:)

Olive, Jun 30, 2016

2. My Lumia 900 (as well as all five display Windows phones at AT&T) can't give turn-by-turn directions through Bing Maps. "Can't connect to satellite" message occurs. Any thoughts/suggestions?

There are some settings that can affect this. In Settings>System>Location, this should be turned on to allow applications to use location services. Then sliding over to Settings>Applications many of the things listed there will allow location to be turned
    on and off individually, such as Maps.

With Bing maps, once outside, make sure it has a good fix before starting off. GPS location is often calculated using a guess at where you are as the starting point. If you move that starting point while it is trying to figure that out, it gets harder and
    takes longer.

Sven Johannsen, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Allow location

Am trying to allow location - in settings it is turned on as is the apps decal thing, but web site keeps asking me to allow location - help!

ShannonCutts, Jun 30, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

You may try this to stop Chrome using your location.

1. Click on the Chrome Menu Bar
    Application allowed to use location [​IMG]
    on the top Right Corner.
    2. Click on 'Settings'.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the resulting page. Click on 'Show advanced settings'
    4. Under 'Privacy', click on 'Content Settings'
    5. Scroll down to 'Location and select it ....
    6. Click on 'Done' to end this.
    7. Now Scroll Down to 'Network' and click on 'Change Proxy Settings'.
    8. In the 'Privacy' tab, under 'Location', check 'Never allow websites to request for your location'.
    9. Apply > OK.
    See how it goes. Let us know.

5. Olive Win User
    Your setting is true but my main problem is that I have to trust Chrome for it. I believed there was a way Windows could stop an app to do some of these things (location is just an example, there are other settings). Contacts is much more sensitive, I would like to make sure that some apps have no access to it.

Olive, Jun 30, 2016
  6. Many settings apply only to Universal Windows Platform (UWP) Apps and do not affect the other side (desktop apps). There will be instances where a user chooses to use desktop apps and set those options accordingly.

It's like have two user interfaces (twinUI) each with their own settings/options . As Win10 evolves more will go into the WinRT side and less will be left in the win32 side. It's going to take a few years for everything, including 3rd party programs, to migrate though.

In the case of your example, you could disable the location service. Controlling other services might require policy settings.

Transition is always ....

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    You may anytime disallow an app to access your Location, Camera, Microphone, Contacts, Calendar etc; in Settings > Privacy.

Plus, every app should have their own mechanism to stop using your information, as we see Chrome has.

If you are really worried for it, dont depend on the windows settings/mechanism only, apply a both way ban .... in windows settings and in application specific settings.

Thema:

1. Application allowed to use location - Similar Threads - Application allowed location

2. application error at location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    application error at location: application error 0x00000000770E3A2 site: 0xc06d00e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-error-at-location/4a020659-dcc4-4f26-af70-c3f299c846f4
  3. application error at location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    application error at location: application error 0x00000000770E3A2 site: 0xc06d00e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-error-at-location/4a020659-dcc4-4f26-af70-c3f299c846f4
  4. application error at location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. ''Ptqnac'' in startup application with location...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ''Ptqnac'' in startup application with location...: As shown above.I was doing a clean boot and I stumbled upon this. I tried to locate it but couldn't find that specific in the directory/files under C: but there is not such thing as Ptqnac.I am not sure if this is a malware or something safe.can anyone help me figure out what...
  6. Location Of Windows Application Icon's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location Of Windows Application Icon's: Hi, Before I forget, here's my system spec's: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 2004, Build 19041.208 , somehow I didn't get all of my system icon's changed (such as windows security, etc.) I have the file's that contain all of the new icon's. This morning I've been trying to...
  7. How to allow a blocked application

How to allow a blocked application: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on an older Dell PC, I am finding that Windows Security is blocking applications that I trust such as HR Block tax software, Seagate backup, and Google backup and sync. I found the Microsoft help page "Allow a blocked app in...
  8. Allowed threats file location

Allowed threats file location: Windows Defender routinely forgets what "threats" I've allowed and tries to take action against them again. I've resorted to forcing Defender to ask for input before quarantining stuff by itself, but I'd rather solve the issue on a deeper level. Where is the list of...
  9. saving in a file location not allowed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving in a file location not allowed: I am trying to use a program called ccomp, its a stand alone efi program I use to tune efi vehicles, my old laptop crashed, got his new one and installed the program, went well, but when I go to save a file in the program it says please contact sytem admin due to I do have...
  10. Setting the location for application data

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting the location for application data: Does anyone here know where/how you can set the location for an applications data? I'm in the process of tidying up the "My documents" folder on my PC and for some strange reason, along with all my documents, there are a number of folders belonging to applications installed...