Windows 10: Application Data permissions

Discus and support Application Data permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joelk, Apr 10, 2016.

1. joelk Win User

Application Data permissions

I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data Properties/Security and tried to change the Administrator permissions, but after I checked the box for full permissions and then clicked "Apply" several other exception dialogs popped up and then the entire entry for Administrators (under Group or user names) was deleted.

Can I fix this? Does it matter? ( So far, I haven't noticed anything not working correctly.)

:)

joelk, Apr 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 1709 update not installing

I tried (in an admin cmd.exe)..

takeown /a /f c:\users /r

I did get asked..

You do not have permissions to read the contents of directory "c:\users\All Users\Application Data".

Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you

full control ("Y" for YES, "N" for NO or "C" to CANCEL)?

I said yes..

It then said..

INFO: The system cannot find the path specified. ( "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application
    Data\Application Data\Documents\Office Tab" )

ERROR: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Note that visiting "c:\users\All users" ends up going to "c:\programdata"

If I try and go to "c:\users\all users\application data" it says access is denied, and

cd "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Documents\Office
    Tab" doesn't work, but..

cd "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\"

cd "documents\office tab"

does (which should be the same path)

I assume a bunch of these folders are magical but that makes it very difficult to reason about how they should behave, and hence if weird errors are actually a problem or normal..

Anyway, after that (takeown) I tried again the update still failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

11Darius11, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 1709 update not installing

After looking for info on the application data issue I ran JunctionBox to repair the permissions on the directory junction entries but unfortunately the update still failed.

11Darius11, Apr 10, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

C:\ProgramData is a hidden system folder. It is hidden because there is a good reason, that the user does not alter it. Better you keep it as it is, hidden.

Hide that place, use the computer normally. IMHO the permission thing will not affect anything. But if it causes any issue, drop a post.

5. joelk Win User
    Well, I never went for that thing about curiosity and cats. *Wink

But thanks.

joelk, Apr 11, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Raw Image Share Page

Thema:

1. Application Data permissions - Similar Threads - Application Data permissions

2. Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application: Windows has added permission to use my microphone on a certain application but it doesn't seem to work.normally you would go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone and then disable it BUT you cant seem to click on a certain application and disable it...
  3. Promote Application Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Promote Application Data: What is this folder for? When I opened it, all I found was a string of characters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/promote-application-data/9146ae25-9542-4407-b485-16a3dfef48f0
  4. Promote Application Data

Promote Application Data: What is this folder for? When I opened it, all I found was a string of characters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/promote-application-data/9146ae25-9542-4407-b485-16a3dfef48f0
  5. Promote Application Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. "Ask Permission" Error for Application

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Ask Permission" Error for Application: Hello, Recently I have disabled family features on my windows 10 computer. But whenever I go on to google chrome it says 'Ask for permission' so I click on 'ask by email' and an error message pops up saying 'Something went wrong. I am confused about this because even after I...
  7. Needing to ask for permission on essential applications

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Needing to ask for permission on essential applications: Hello everyone! I am a child using Microsoft Family settings. Recently, I have been discovering Microsoft Family Features being kinda annoying.[ATTACH] As you can tell, this isn't very helpful. Is there a way for Microsoft to blacklist essential applications. Thoughts?...
  8. USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications: We are having trouble getting an application to work on new Win 10 machines. This worked for many years and suddenly won't. It seems like a permissions issue but we have not found a way to add permissions for this device. I'm wondering if there was a recent change blocking...
  9. permissions of apps / and data downloads .

permissions of apps / and data downloads .: Hello I cannot find where to turn off permissions of apps and data downloads , are you able to walk me through it,please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permissions-of-apps-and-data-downloads/aa8452a0-9eea-4d14-8c46-74d0f4282c10
  10. Setting the location for application data

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting the location for application data: Does anyone here know where/how you can set the location for an applications data? I'm in the process of tidying up the "My documents" folder on my PC and for some strange reason, along with all my documents, there are a number of folders belonging to applications installed...