Windows 10: Application Data permissions

Discus and support Application Data permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joelk, Apr 10, 2016.

1. joelk Win User

Application Data permissions

I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data Properties/Security and tried to change the Administrator permissions, but after I checked the box for full permissions and then clicked "Apply" several other exception dialogs popped up and then the entire entry for Administrators (under Group or user names) was deleted.

Can I fix this? Does it matter? ( So far, I haven't noticed anything not working correctly.)

:)

joelk, Apr 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 1709 update not installing

I tried (in an admin cmd.exe)..

takeown /a /f c:\users /r

I did get asked..

You do not have permissions to read the contents of directory "c:\users\All Users\Application Data".

Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you

full control ("Y" for YES, "N" for NO or "C" to CANCEL)?

I said yes..

It then said..

INFO: The system cannot find the path specified. ( "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application
    Data\Application Data\Documents\Office Tab" )

ERROR: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Note that visiting "c:\users\All users" ends up going to "c:\programdata"

If I try and go to "c:\users\all users\application data" it says access is denied, and

cd "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Documents\Office
    Tab" doesn't work, but..

cd "c:\users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\"

cd "documents\office tab"

does (which should be the same path)

I assume a bunch of these folders are magical but that makes it very difficult to reason about how they should behave, and hence if weird errors are actually a problem or normal..

Anyway, after that (takeown) I tried again the update still failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

11Darius11, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 1709 update not installing

After looking for info on the application data issue I ran JunctionBox to repair the permissions on the directory junction entries but unfortunately the update still failed.

11Darius11, Apr 10, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

C:\ProgramData is a hidden system folder. It is hidden because there is a good reason, that the user does not alter it. Better you keep it as it is, hidden.

Hide that place, use the computer normally. IMHO the permission thing will not affect anything. But if it causes any issue, drop a post.

5. joelk Win User
    Well, I never went for that thing about curiosity and cats. *Wink

But thanks.

joelk, Apr 11, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Raw Image Share Page

Thema:

1. Application Data permissions - Similar Threads - Application Data permissions

2. Application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the...: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user mypc\Sly SID (----------------) from address...
  3. USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications: We are having trouble getting an application to work on new Win 10 machines. This worked for many years and suddenly won't. It seems like a permissions issue but we have not found a way to add permissions for this device. I'm wondering if there was a recent change blocking...
  4. Windows 10 Application and data Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Application and data Backup: I would like to back up my data and applications on windows 10 computer, then reinstall windows 10 operating system clean(Latest version). Can I use the back up and restore applet from win 10? TO back up applications and data then reinstall on same hardware, new OS? Thanks...
  5. permissions of apps / and data downloads .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    permissions of apps / and data downloads .: Hello I cannot find where to turn off permissions of apps and data downloads , are you able to walk me through it,please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permissions-of-apps-and-data-downloads/aa8452a0-9eea-4d14-8c46-74d0f4282c10
  6. The "Application Specific" permission settings do not give "Local Activation" permission to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The "Application Specific" permission settings do not give "Local Activation" permission to...: Hi all, recently, my windows 2016 server with 2 SSD disks encountered problems after using recovery tool to do bare metal recover. I can launch windows normally. But some services failure. The error message is as follow: The "Application Specific" permission settings do...
  7. The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for...: Hello: I had this problem with Win10 P and now with most recent update is still there any suggestion: Win10p64b V1809(OS Build 17763.168) HP ENVY h8-1520t CTO Desktop PC Intel i7 wit 16MB RAM, #TB HD How can I resolve it? Log Name: System Source:...
  8. Setting the location for application data

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting the location for application data: Does anyone here know where/how you can set the location for an applications data? I'm in the process of tidying up the "My documents" folder on my PC and for some strange reason, along with all my documents, there are a number of folders belonging to applications installed...
  9. "Infinite" Application Data folders and subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    "Infinite" Application Data folders and subfolders: "Infinite" Application Data folders and subfolders (screen shots attached and/or via WEB links) I have an issue in my "C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data" folder. I believe its loosely called "Infinite" Application Data folders and...
  10. transfer all settings, data and applications

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer all settings, data and applications: Hi. As most old men, I lost my PC, I installed win 10 home edition N by mistake, When I tried to activate windows I could not because my key is for home edition "without N", then I installed and activated correct one on PC. Now I need : 1- transfer all settings, data and...