Windows 10: Application Icons missing from Search Menu

Discus and support Application Icons missing from Search Menu in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So recently I've had a rather strange issue with my computer where it powered off all of a sudden, and after I turned it back on and pressed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by camerondotmp4, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Application Icons missing from Search Menu

So recently I've had a rather strange issue with my computer where it powered off all of a sudden, and after I turned it back on and pressed the Windows key to search for an application, the majority of my applications icons don't show up when searching despite showing up on my desktop and task bar. IN place of where the icon would be next to the name, there is just a square with an X inside of it. The search menu is the only place they don't appear, and all of my applications run normally. I just wasn't sure what happened or if it means anything bad.

I also apologize if I put this in the wrong category, I couldn't find one that fit my problem well.

:)

camerondotmp4, Jun 20, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    App Icons Missing

Hi Donna,

Corrupted applications are the possible causes why your program icons are missing after an update. To isolate your issue, we'd like to clarify a few things:

• When you hover your mouse over your taskbar or Start menu, are you seeing the icons for your apps?
    • Have you tried searching for a specific app and check if it will appear on the search results?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you repair and reset your applications using the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this

thread
    about restoring missing apps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Application Icons missing from Search Menu

Start Menu icons are missing

Hi Janes,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Which all Icons are missing on the Start menu?

• Are you able to find the Icons, when you click on
      All apps
      in the start menu?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to search for the Icons in the search bar, if the icon appears in the search list then
    right click on the icon and select Pin to Start and check if the icons appears in the start menu.

If the issue persists, Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Application Icons missing from Search Menu

1. Application Icons missing from Search Menu - Similar Threads - Application Icons missing

2. Search menu application icons do not appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu application icons do not appear: After the last Windows update, I noticed that some applications do not have their icon in the search menu. It only happens with my account on all PCs. I have already deleted the account and created it again. It happens randomly. Sometimes it appears but then disappears...
  3. Search menu application icons do not appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search menu application icons do not appear: After the last Windows update, I noticed that some applications do not have their icon in the search menu. It only happens with my account on all PCs. I have already deleted the account and created it again. It happens randomly. Sometimes it appears but then disappears...
  4. Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3w4fhzigtbra1.png?width=649&format=png&auto=webp&s=c86e5e7427ac69cabfd38af3090440d644db8d5f https://preview.redd.it/ynk9qyigtbra1.png?width=652&format=png&auto=webp&s=062ee9ea000bac08e84f0c9dccf322f553c0b38b...
  5. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon: I had to reinstall windows a month ago, and since most icons in my start menu and when searching an app by name, the shortcut is just blank i already tried to delete the icon caches, replace the icon in the shortcut, reboot my pc ect ect.I don't understand why it's doing...
  6. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon: I had to reinstall windows a month ago, and since most icons in my start menu and when searching an app by name, the shortcut is just blank i already tried to delete the icon caches, replace the icon in the shortcut, reboot my pc ect ect.I don't understand why it's doing...
  7. Most applications in the start menu and "search menu" have a blank icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Icons are missing from Search Bar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons are missing from Search Bar?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/coolninja111 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uvvtms/icons_are_missing_from_search_bar/
  9. App icons missing in windows 10 search menu

in Cortana
    App icons missing in windows 10 search menu: App icons missing in windows 10 search menu, tried clearing icon cache and doesn't work. Made a new local user account and icons reappeared, but doesn't appear on my original account. Reset windows 10, updated to latest version, and a few days later it has happened again....
  10. Removing Settings and Search icons from Start Menu applications list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing Settings and Search icons from Start Menu applications list: I want to remove all of the default apps from the Windows 10 Start Menu so Ican fill it up exclusively with programs of my own choosing. I've come so far as having only two icons/shortcuts left on the start menu, but I cannot figure out how to remove those last two. This is...