Windows 10: Application maximize slightly off

Discus and support Application maximize slightly off in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am running a dual monitor setup. I got my laptop in a docking station which is connected to an external monitor. I use the monitor as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bartvhelvert, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Application maximize slightly off

Hi everyone,

I am running a dual monitor setup. I got my laptop in a docking station which is connected to an external monitor. I use the monitor as my main display but when I maximize applications like chrome, visual studio, (everything really) a small portion of the application lands on the second monitor and there is a small gap between the left side of the monitor and the application (so the application is actually shifted to the direction of the second screen by a few pixels). It started after I upgraded to windows 10. I was previously running windows 8.1 where I didn't have this problem. Has anyone ever heard of this before? And does anyone know a fix for this because it is pretty annoying.

System information:
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K610M
    GPU Driver Version: 10.18.13.5490

Thanks in advance for everything!

Edit: Rebooting and redocking my laptop fixed the problem somehow.

:)

bartvhelvert, Aug 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 Task Manager Restore Application

What will System File Checker do - will it maximize the application that is running (no it will not)- but that is the problem I have - I can't maximize the application - it is running - you can see it in processes , but it is not on the task bar. and
    the Task Manager no longer has that functionality to "Switch to" or "Maximize/Restore window". How do I switch to or maximize when viewing the process in Task Manager?

Stixoffire, Aug 28, 2016
  3. IceHiker Win User
    Maximized Apps are Stuck in Upper Left Corner, only Un-Maximized Apps can be Moved

How can I

move a Maximized app from the upper left corner without it being un-maximized or resized?

Since Windows 10, I have no longer been able to move Maximized apps from the upper left corner of my screen without first being un-maximized and re-sized by Snap or manually.

99% of apps consume the entire screen, so there is no need to move maximized apps consuming the entire screen. However, anyone who uses virtualized applications, Remote Desktop sessions, and maybe multiple monitors, will probably like maintaining these
    smaller windows in their Maximized state since they do not consume the entire screen.

Another reason to Not resize apps is they will likely not be put back in their Cascade, Stacked or Side by Side positions if those arrangement features are used.

In earlier Windows PC Versions and Windows Server versions, it is easy to Maximize an application window like a remote session and move it from the upper left corner to a different location on the screen without it un-maximizing.

My current work around is to manually or programmatically resize my RDP and virtual application windows to their "maximum" size in the location where I want them to go - and give up the Windows Stacked, Side-by-Side, and Cascade features.

I posted this under the "Ease of Access" section because in Windows 7 and 8.1, this issue used to be correctable by checking the "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen." Checking this option in Windows 10
    turns off Snap making then maximized windows truly stuck in the upper left corner until manually "restoring" them to non-maximized state.

Maybe, if enough people using RDP and multiple monitors "like" this post, Microsoft will provide a fix or retro setting to correct this issue.

//AJ

IceHiker, Aug 28, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Application maximize slightly off

When I've seen something like that [not often] it was because of a resolution disparity between the Notebook/Laptop display and the External monitor. The onboard video adapter controls the Notebook display panel better than the External. Usually don't see the problem when using a projector with that port. The Make/Brand and Model of the Notebook isn't given but it could have one of 3 types ports, VGA, DVI [unlikely] or HDMI.

Berton, Aug 28, 2016
Thema:

Application maximize slightly off

1. Application maximize slightly off - Similar Threads - Application maximize slightly

2. Taskbar disappears when maximizing applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar disappears when maximizing applications.: The taskbar setting "Autohide" is disabled. However, any time I maximize a window, the taskbar "goes behind" the window and hides. I want the taskbar to be the lower border of my computer screen, but Windows 11 has no current support for that. Anyway, is there any feasible...
  3. Taskbar disappears when maximizing applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar disappears when maximizing applications.: The taskbar setting "Autohide" is disabled. However, any time I maximize a window, the taskbar "goes behind" the window and hides. I want the taskbar to be the lower border of my computer screen, but Windows 11 has no current support for that. Anyway, is there any feasible...
  4. Application is minimized to Taskbar. Unable to maximize.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application is minimized to Taskbar. Unable to maximize.: One of my application - When opened, is minimized to taskbar. I tried a lot of solutions with Cascade windows, Cntrl+Shift > Right click and Maximize windows. None of them helped. I have tried uninstall and re-install option, which also haven't worked....
  5. Maximizing window on Windows 10 positions it slightly off screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Maximizing window on Windows 10 positions it slightly off screen: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/darrenkirana [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlwqqv/maximizing_window_on_windows_10_positions_it/
  6. Applications won`t maximize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications won`t maximize: Following a W10 update, applications only open as minimised on the taskbar and won`t maximize. I have tried closing them minimised but no good. Can anyone help ? thanks...
  7. Windows 10 taskbar slightly visible in applications that are in fullscreen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 taskbar slightly visible in applications that are in fullscreen.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/M_Huzaifa12 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dw406h/windows_10_taskbar_slightly_visible_in/
  8. Maximized Applications - Monitor Shuts Off

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximized Applications - Monitor Shuts Off: I started having this issue about two weeks ago. Their have been a slew of updates from Windows 10 and from my GPU. When an application is Maximized, it causes my monitor to sometimes go to sleep. It is not 100% of the time, it is about 70-80% of the time. Chrome causes it...
  9. Maximize sound won't turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximize sound won't turn off: I turned off all system sounds, but I still get this annoying sound every time I enter full screen mode on video players watching a movie. It doesn't seem to be a system sound... maybe a theme sound or whatever? 18319
  10. Maximized applications cause monitor to shut off.

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximized applications cause monitor to shut off.: I started having this issue about 4 days ago. Their have been a slew of updates from Windows 10 and from my GPU. When an application is Maximized, it causes my monitor to sometimes go to sleep. It is not 100% of the time, it is about 70-80% of the time. Chrome causes it to...