Windows 10: Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges

Discus and support Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a 16 bit application running on NTVDM on 32 bit windows OS. The application installation files are located on a NAS share. The application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Karan Shah (kshah), Oct 17, 2019.

1. Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges

We have a 16 bit application running on NTVDM on 32 bit windows OS.

The application installation files are located on a NAS share.

The application runs perfectly well when it is "run as administrator" as shown below:

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges f3fa8d1e-84ec-425a-bd93-95023d2650c4?upload=true.png

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges c2e4a331-7fad-48d4-87df-3555599e8aad?upload=true.png

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges a402fe94-5c25-4fee-9936-922cc175c6c2?upload=true.png

Although, a parent application calls this .exe as a function. The application runs as a non privileged user and ends up on the following error:

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges 96a7488f-0925-44bb-bab2-0249fda46818?upload=true.png

The .ocx file is registered but I think it fails to check without being privileged. So, I ran compatibility troubleshooter which put a check mark on "Run this program as an administrator" but that didn't help.

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges b4bdf228-7146-45b3-a60e-0a33d789a77a?upload=true.png

So, my question is, is there another way to default the application to run as an administrator? I could write a batch script to do that but since this .exe is called by another application (whose source code I cannot change), I am lost of ideas. Any help is much appreciated!

***Original titlte: Application (.exe) does not default to running with Administrator priveleges***

:)

Karan Shah (kshah), Oct 17, 2019
  2. dEhiN83 Win User

NTVDM not available

Hi, I'm trying to install a legacy game - Railroad Tycoon - on my Windows 10 laptop. Initially I got an "Unsupport 16-bit Application" error. I tried running setup.exe in compatibility mode under Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3. I got the same error. I then
    found this article on how to enable 16-bit application support in Windows 10. However, I encountered a problem in the first step.
    When I ran optionalfeatures.exe, and scrolled down to Legacy Components, the only option is DirectPlay.

So, what do I do if NTVDM isn't an option? Is there another way to enable/install NTVDM? Or has NTVDM support been completely pulled? If so, is there any way I can run my 16-bit games (or 32-bit games with 16-bit installers) on my laptop?

Thank you for all your help.

My specs:

Edition - Windows 10 Pro

Version - 1803

OS build - 17134.407

Processor - Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.6 GHz

RAM - 8 GB

System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

PS. If the Windows topics category is incorrect, my apologies. I wasn't quite sure what to choose.

dEhiN83, Oct 17, 2019
  3. How to enable NTVDM on Windows 10.

I am trying to use a 16 bit program but I am currently unable to. in order to run them i need to use NTVDM. I'm trying to turn on NTVDM which used to be listed under legacy components, but it is no longer there when following this method (Windows+r > optionalfeatures.exe
    > Legacy Components > NTVDM). Is there a way to activate this?

anime4james, Oct 17, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges

How to always allow administrator permissions for a specific application

Hi Lyon,

Windows 10 gives users the ability to customize how they run applications. We suggest that you follow the steps below on how to grant administrator permission to a specific application:

• Click the Windows icon on your Windows 10 screen that will open the list of applications. Right click on the specific application that you wish to have an admin permission, click the
      More and click Open file location.
    • A new window will open to the location of the program. Right-click on the program and click
      Properties from the pop-up menu.
    • In the Properties window, click the Shortcut tab and then click
      Advanced.
    • In the Advanced Properties window, check the box next to
      Run as administrator
      and click OK.
    • The program will now open in administrator mode when you click the shortcut from the Start menu. Repeat the steps above for other desired applications.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 17, 2019
Thema:

Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges

1. Application running on NTVDM does not laucnh properly when ran through administrator priviliges - Similar Threads - Application running NTVDM

2. Problem when running applications as administrator on windows xp professional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem when running applications as administrator on windows xp professional: Hey!My friend and i have been trying to install windows 10 on an old pc he found The pc's OS is Windows XP Professional Edition.We figured out we need an application for usb booting, because the pc's bios does not support usb booting.I got the application EasyBCD, and it...
  3. Problem when running applications as administrator on windows xp professional

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem when running applications as administrator on windows xp professional: Hey!My friend and i have been trying to install windows 10 on an old pc he found The pc's OS is Windows XP Professional Edition.We figured out we need an application for usb booting, because the pc's bios does not support usb booting.I got the application EasyBCD, and it...
  4. Run as Administrator Not Working Properly

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Run as Administrator Not Working Properly: This problem started about a month ago. When I'm in my normal user account, if I right-click on an icon and choose as "Run as administrator" instead of it prompting me for the admin account/password it just opens application as the current user, which doesn't have admin...
  5. Run as administrator stops other applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run as administrator stops other applications: After my recent upgrade from Win7 to 10 I have found that whenever an app is "run as administrator" the computer stops access to all other applications and functions. I cannot use the mouse on any other apps or the task bar. If I press CTRL+ESC I can once again mouse...
  6. "run as administrator" does not work

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    "run as administrator" does not work: I am logged on as administrator yes, I am sure. When I try any of the "run as administrator" shortcuts on programs nothing happens. I used to be able to do this - maybe as recently as a couple of weeks ago....
  7. Application launch with "Run as administrator"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Application launch with "Run as administrator": Good afternoon, I have an issue with launching app. In my masters I use 2 users : UserXXX (Only User) and Admin (Administrator). 1) I install software with Admin user and I have no problem. 2) I launch software and with Damin user I have to choose "Run as...
  8. Application (.exe) does not default to running with Administrator priveleges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application (.exe) does not default to running with Administrator priveleges: We have a 16 bit application running on NTVDM on 32 bit windows OS. The application installation files are located on a NAS share. The application runs perfectly well when it is "run as administrator" as shown below: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Although, a parent...
  9. NTVDM not available

in Windows 10 Customization
    NTVDM not available: Hi, I'm trying to install a legacy game - Railroad Tycoon - on my Windows 10 laptop. Initially I got an "Unsupport 16-bit Application" error. I tried running setup.exe in compatibility mode under Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3. I got the same error. I then found this article on...
  10. Running a Application as Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running a Application as Administrator: How do you change a shortcut to run the application as the Administrator ? Currently I right click the shortcut and then click run as administrator. Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntvdm not working 1909