Windows 10: Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

Discus and support Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For a couple of years I have had increasing problems with application windows and dialog boxes opening up behind other windows with no indication that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Punchcard Steve, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

For a couple of years I have had increasing problems with application windows and dialog boxes opening up behind other windows with no indication that they have opened. Lately this had become an extreme nuisance.

Does anyone know how to get a newly opened application or dialog box to ALWAYS open in the foreground?

This is likely tied to the 'feature' of "focus assist" but I cannot figure out how to get it to assist me. Turning it off did nothing as far as I can tell.

:)

Punchcard Steve, Dec 30, 2020
  2. chadwick0 Win User

Windows fails to open applications

Hi,

Once I have several applications open Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 refuses to open further application. I have heavy-weight applications like Delphi and Eclipse open, but the OS has coped with this in the past.

No error messages are reported by the application I am attempting to open, and there are no messages in the event viewer. What is really strange is that once the OS gets itself into this state, it appears that the OS can't allocate enough memory to perform simple API calls. If I go into an application that is already open and try to open the file menu, or right click on the taskbar to open the context menu, nothing happens.

If I close a few applications, then the problem goes away. The Task Manager performance tab indicates that I still have ~1Gb of physical memory available.

I think this could be caused by:

- A memory module is damaged. My memory is comprised of 1x1Gb modules. When the system attempts to allocate memory in the second module, it is unable to. I think this is a bit of a long-shot because I wouldn't expect my PC to boot if a memory module was playing-up

- I've installed something that has put something malicious on my PC. The only things I've installed recently are PRGrep and WinGrep, but unfortunately I didn't make a system restore point, and windows hasn't retained those old restore points. However a full Sophos scan doesn't show-up anything.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this welcome because I'm baffled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Frank.

chadwick0, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

1. Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows - Similar Threads - Application opening background

2. Windows behind each other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows behind each other.: Good afternoon I am having trouble with my PC its worth mentioning that it is a custom built PC not sure if that matters. So what is going on is after using my PC for a bit for work I have multiple windows open for work and after a bit of using it windows will start to hide...
  3. Windows behind each other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows behind each other.: Good afternoon I am having trouble with my PC its worth mentioning that it is a custom built PC not sure if that matters. So what is going on is after using my PC for a bit for work I have multiple windows open for work and after a bit of using it windows will start to hide...
  4. Microsoft Dynamics windows opening behind all other windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Dynamics windows opening behind all other windows.: Good morning, I was wondering if anyone had a fix for this issue? I found a lot of people pointed to a fix at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/axsupport/2014/06/21/forms-opening-up-with-focus-in-background/ but that link is no longer available. Any help would be greatly...
  5. Invisible window behind my open windows

Invisible window behind my open windows: Not quite sure how to put this so bear with me. Whether I am closing my last open window to shutdown, or a multiple of windows to shutdown or go to the desktop, there seems to be a ghost window that closes last. It is not seen until I close all windows and it too closes. I...
  6. Open new windows behind other windows

Open new windows behind other windows: Hey there, Is there anyway I can get newly opened windows or applications to always open behind existing windows? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-new-windows-behind-other-windows/755d32cb-dd40-4c45-a03e-19892ec8511b
  7. Black background behind Folder icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Black background behind Folder icons in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 File Explorer provides a variety of ways to organize the contents of files and folders of the system. The Window users can use some efficient styles to view the contents of the file system as per the user’s [...] This post Black background behind Folder...
  8. Taskbar hidden behind open windows

Taskbar hidden behind open windows: My task-bar had been hiding behind all my open windows for a few days now, it was getting really annoying and I couldn't find an answer that solved my problem. Then out of nowhere I thought to hit F11 and see if maybe full-screen mode was on. Indeed that was the case at...
  9. Photos and other applications running in the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos and other applications running in the background: Photos app doesn't stop running on the background even after setting as not permitted to run in the background. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/photos-and-other-applications-running-in-the/9e8f53ed-9f11-47ba-b648-2e4aa92f622e
  10. Application windows stay hidden behind others?

in Windows 10 Support
    Application windows stay hidden behind others?: Hello, I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 and I like most of the upgrade but this particular issue is making me want to just go back to 7... When I click on icons for other apps in my task bar, they often just stay hidden behind whatever...