Windows 10: Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor

Discus and support Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Computer is locally built 2016, Intel Core i5 Skylake processor (6th Gen) 3.2/3.6GH, 80GT/s, 6MB, etc. Monitor is Dell UltraSharp 38 Curved Monitor -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoyceGuasch, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor

Computer is locally built 2016, Intel Core i5 Skylake processor (6th Gen) 3.2/3.6GH, 80GT/s, 6MB, etc.
    Monitor is Dell UltraSharp 38 Curved Monitor - U3818DW

Last update 2019-02 Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4465065) successfully installed 6/18/2019.

In the last week, many, if not most windows do not open in the size I expect them to open. About a week ago, perhaps after the last Window update, two almost identical computers in our home are behaving the same way. Device manager says monitor is Generic PnP Monitor. Intel HD Graphics Control Panel says Display is Digital Television Dell U3818DW with the correct resolution of 3840x1600. Actual monitor is identified above.

Open windows, applications such as Chrome, Firefox, Word, MS Outlook. May or may not open in a floating window size as I like. I resize as needed, but then I leave computer, monitor goes off after 15 minutes. Computer is set to never sleep. All windows are in upper left corner, about 7x7 in size when I come back. Many times if I compose an email or open an email and reply to it, the window opens in a much smaller size, upper left area.

I think I've become a novice again; I don't know what steps to take to troubleshoot.
    Joyce Guasch

:)

JoyceGuasch, Jun 26, 2019
  2. 1Dana1 Win User

Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

This question was asked before but with a different type of monitor. I have an ASUS MG28U. I am running Windows 10 and all updates are current. The problem is that every time I wake my computer from sleep status, all of the open windows will have been
    resized and moved to the upper, left-side corner. Is there a solution for this yet?

1Dana1, Jun 26, 2019
  3. papaaxel Win User
    Windows are resized and moved to upper left corner when Displayport is used and the monitor wakes up from switch off state

I use Intels HD Graphics 530 from the i5-6500 CPU. The 32" Monitor is connected via DisplaPort. When i switch off the monitor the Windows are resized and moved to the upper left Corner when the monitor isswitched on again. This issue does not occur when
    I use HDMI for the monitor.

papaaxel, Jun 26, 2019
  4. ffhaddad Win User

Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor

Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

I have a Dell 24" 4k Monitor (3840x2160) connected to my NVIDIA GTX 970 via DisplayPort 1.2. Whenever the monitor enters sleep mode, upon wakeup, all my open windows have been resized (smaller) and placed in the upper-left corner of the screen. This only
    happens when connected to the DisplayPort output. If I connect to DVI or HDMI, the problem goes away. The problem, however, is those other outputs only allow 4K at 30Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz which is not an option for gaming.

This seems to be a common issue scouring the web.

ffhaddad, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor

1. Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor - Similar Threads - Application resize upper

2. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...: Below is everything I looked at, and got this figured out on my system. The short version is, the problem is with "Display Port Hot-Plug Detection". All I had to do was to change this setting on my monitor: Input Control / DP Hot-Plug Detection / Low Power Default vs. Always...
  3. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...: Below is everything I looked at, and got this figured out on my system. The short version is, the problem is with "Display Port Hot-Plug Detection". All I had to do was to change this setting on my monitor: Input Control / DP Hot-Plug Detection / Low Power Default vs. Always...
  4. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UPPER LEFT CORNER FLOATING WINDOW

in Windows 10 Customization
    UPPER LEFT CORNER FLOATING WINDOW: How do you remove this thing showing on the upper left of my screen, I dont have any third party apps installed, no Rainmeter or whatnots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upper-left-corner-floating-window/c031330f-533b-4473-9577-b25ceca7a946
  6. windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner after monitor sleep

windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner after monitor sleep: when my PC wakes up from from the display turning off the app windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner of the display. I then have to resize them and move them back where I want them. I tried updating the driver but Windows says latest driver is installed....
  7. Extreme upper left corner of monitor

Extreme upper left corner of monitor: At the extreme upper left corner of the screen, there is a tiny white dot. When I put the mouse cursor on it, I get one of those spinning blue "waiting" circles... well, actually only a quarter of one of those as if the top and entire left part of the circle is outside the...
  8. Small Gray Rectangle in Upper Left Corner

Small Gray Rectangle in Upper Left Corner: First of all, I am using a Surface Pro 3. This problem is weird because it only happens once in a while when my laptop goes to sleep (but not always), and it only goes away once I restart my computer. [IMG] I cannot use my desktop while it is there, and I can move the gray...
  9. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep: This just started happening on Monday (11/12/18) for no reason I can decipher, nothing has changed that I know of. I have scoured the internet and the only "fix" I can find is to set my monitor to never sleep. My computer is the network server at my work, so it is never is...
  10. Rectangular Box in Upper Left Corner

in Windows 10 Support
    Rectangular Box in Upper Left Corner: I believe I accidentally generated this rectangular (not square) box while I was learning about the Magnifier. This rectangular (7.5 cm X 4.3 cm) box causes whatever is located underneath it to be slightly whiter than it normally would be. Everything functions properly while...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell pc monitor windows resize and move to upper left