Windows 10: Applications becoming unresponsive

Discus and support Applications becoming unresponsive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I purchased a Dell i7-Gen 8 laptop over a year ago and moved my applications from my old laptop, including two database applications: Family Tree... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JPB3141, Nov 30, 2020.

1. JPB3141 Win User

Applications becoming unresponsive

I purchased a Dell i7-Gen 8 laptop over a year ago and moved my applications from my old laptop, including two database applications: Family Tree Maker 2019 and Microsoft Money 2007. Both programs worked flawlessly until an update in early September 2020. Since then, I am able to enter from 2 to maybe 10 entries in those programs, then they go unresponsive and I have to do a power-off reboot to free up my laptop.

I have talked to MS Tech Support several times in recent weeks in hopes of finding a solution. They keep telling me that MS Money is no longer supported. Geez, I know that, but BOTH applications go unresponsive; therefore MS Money is not the problem.

Since early September, I have installed all updates from MS, Dell and Intel, hoping that the problem would get solved. I have uninstalled/reinstalled MS Money, and tried running it in compatibility mode. The last Tech Support guy had me download a 4.5 Gb file that supposedly would fix any corrupt files. Nothing has solved my issue. I have also switched over to Money Sunset version, but it still hangs up after making a few entries.

There were no issues with those applications on my laptop for a year after installing them, therefore those applications are not the issue. But the updates in early September have really caused problems. I am NOT happy with Microsoft because they caused the problem, and no one seems able to fix it. The last Tech Support guy essentially told me that I was on my own. Really? That's how you treat a customer?

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Jeff

:)

JPB3141, Nov 30, 2020
  2. John Vil Win User

Keyboard unresponsive after update to Windows 10 version 1073

Hi,

One possible reason why your keyboard is slow and unresponsive after an update may be due to driver incompatibility. As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to resolve this issue. Kindly follow the steps
    below:

• Type Troubleshooting in Cortana's search field and press
      Enter.
    • Click on View All in the top left corner.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices from the list and follow the prompts.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Programs become unresponsive in Windows 10

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both with different results.

Step 1: Safe Mode:

This seemed to work and I could save a file in Word without the program becoming "Unresponsive".

Step 2: Clean Boot:

This did not work and Word would become unresponsive when trying to save a file.

I did notice another odd thing. It seems that sometimes (not often) Word would work the first time I used it If I close it and reopened it the unresponsive behavior returned. I tried opening Word several time but it remained unresponsive.

This is very frustrating as I use Word daily.

RobertAAult, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

windows 10 unresponsive

Hi,

This issue could occur due to
    missing/corrupted system files
    that happened while upgrading/updating Windows 10 and
    outdated drivers that causes your computer to be unresponsive/slow. We suggest that
    you perform these following methods of troubleshooting:

Method 1: Update the drivers.

To know how to update your drivers, please click
    here.

Method 2: perform a clean boot.

To know how to perform a clean boot, click this
    link.

If the issue persists, proceed to
    method 3 and method 4.

Method 3:
    Run SFC Scan.

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.

This will check and run an auto-repair on the issue.

Method 4:
    Run DISM Tool.

After running the
    SFC scan
    and the issue still persist, run the
    DISM
    to check the system health and to try restoring the files. To run
    DISM tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Applications becoming unresponsive - Similar Threads - Applications becoming unresponsive

2. Workstation becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Workstation becomes unresponsive: Hello Everyone,So we have a workstation that now from time to time without faile becomes unresponisive, the full deal:Black screen, no pining, SNMP down and not a single input working.It is still running, and after a restart if works again for some time.After scouring the...
  3. Workstation becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Workstation becomes unresponsive: Hello Everyone,So we have a workstation that now from time to time without faile becomes unresponisive, the full deal:Black screen, no pining, SNMP down and not a single input working.It is still running, and after a restart if works again for some time.After scouring the...
  4. Workstation becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer becoming unresponsive: So, a couple of days ago my computer started to wig out a bit. Whenever I were to use my computer the windows and clicking the windows will become unresponsive, as well as the hot bar. I have tried troubleshooting myself, restarting it, checking for viruses or errors and...
  6. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer becoming unresponsive: So, a couple of days ago my computer started to wig out a bit. Whenever I were to use my computer the windows and clicking the windows will become unresponsive, as well as the hot bar. I have tried troubleshooting myself, restarting it, checking for viruses or errors and...
  7. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PC becomes unresponsive

PC becomes unresponsive: My computer randomly becomes unresponsive, the mouse locks up, the audio drops out, and the machine itself makes a buzzing/grinding noise not from the speakers. Without any user input the machine corrects itself and goes back to normal operation. I have updated my drivers,...
  9. PC becomes unresponsive?

PC becomes unresponsive?: So basically I've been doing fine on this PC then recently since this Sunday. Anytime I play low-performance games I don't have a problem but when I paly a high-performance game my screen will freeze on that game and if I manage to Alt + Tab out the other windows are also...
  10. ModernUI becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    ModernUI becomes unresponsive: Gaming PC, usual response after gaming for 1 hour or more. Can't click on Start tile, no apps will launch (Mail, Edge, etc.) can double-click program icons to run Windows applications. Usually fix by CTRL/ALT/DEL, log out then restart. Win10 16299.192 GeForce 390.65...