Windows 10: Applications consistently losing focus - possibly conhost.exe ?

Discus and support Applications consistently losing focus - possibly conhost.exe ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an issue where every 20-30 minutes any fullscreen application loses focus. For example if I have a game running it will minimize. I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooties, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Mooties Win User

Applications consistently losing focus - possibly conhost.exe ?

I have an issue where every 20-30 minutes any fullscreen application loses focus. For example if I have a game running it will minimize. I've tried Focus Logger and the only thing that comes up when it happens is conhost.exe I also just did a SFC scan and it found no errors. This is a brand new PC and genuine windows installation. I've also tried disabling all startup processes and services that aren't microsoft and it still happens consistently. I've updated all drivers straight from the manufacturers, ran virus scan, extensive searching for possible solutions and I can't seem to find a fix anywhere. DxDiag.txt

:)

Mooties, Jun 25, 2021

2. Not running new .exe or .msi files

thank you, TO for your suggestions, but these didn't help unfortunately.

"winmgmt /verifyrepository" came back as consistent and the Catroot2 has been moved to Catroot2.old, restarted and still the same problem.
    what else could I try please?

regards
    D

- - - Updated - - -

Just a bit more info about what I noticed....

- I can run .exe files as long as these are part of installed applications, like Word, Excel and other applications that have been installed for a long time. Could it be that if I move the .exe files to the folder where the other installed .exe are these would also run? I will try that.

- - - Updated - - -

OK..... so, just tried this...

went into C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity and double clicked on "audacity.exe" without any hesitations this applications started.
    I pasted another, just downloaded, application (.exe) into that same Audacity folder and it certainly didn't do anything after double clicking on it. It's like there has been a white list created with all application names that were installed up to a certain date/time and anything that isn't part of that list cannot be run (should be ignored)???? Does this even exist and if this is a possibility how could I figure it out? IT management says that they have certainly not installed anything like that.

Devizes2008, Jun 25, 2021
  3. burton333 Win User
    Applications not working, windows keep losing focus, Cortana not working

Hello all,

Since downloading Windows 10 yesterday I seem to have a continually growing list of problems.

To begin, my settings, Microsoft edge, calendar, store, and many other applications simply will not open for me.

I have tried the troubleshooter to fix the settings issue but it does not detect any issue on my computer.

Second, while Cortana was initially useful, I have experienced a critical error for both Cortana and my Start menu which has made Cortana essentially useless.

Lastly, I am now experiencing an issue where my windows/applications lose focus about every 3-5 seconds. Throughout the process of typing this post I have lost focus a good 40-50 times.

I tried to run MSCONFIG but because my start menu and Cortana are incapable of doing anything, this is not possible.

To sum it up I am extremely irratated with Windows 10 and would love to return back to Windows 7. Because I cannot open settings this is not possible.

Any help somebody can provide with alleviating these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

burton333, Jun 25, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

NESHTA.A VIRUS REMOVED BUT .EXE NOT WORKING

Hi Khaled,

It is possible that you .exe is not working due to corrupted system files or account. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Does this happen with a specific application or with all of your application?
    • Have you tried creating a new admin account to check if the issue also with new account or only with the current account?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how
    to create a new admin account.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Applications consistently losing focus - possibly conhost.exe ? - Similar Threads - Applications consistently losing

2. Apps losing focus randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps losing focus randomly: I just got a new gaming PC which has Windows 11. At first, I thought it was because of certain hotkeys I forgot to change. But recently this has been happening very often and I've searched online many times for a fix with no luck. I'm getting very frustrated, this whole thing...
  3. Apps losing focus randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps losing focus randomly: I just got a new gaming PC which has Windows 11. At first I thought it was because of certain hotkeys I forgot to change. But recently this has been happening very often and I've searched online many times for a fix with no luck. I'm getting very frustrated, this whole thing...
  4. Apps losing focus randomly

Apps losing focus randomly: I just got a new gaming PC which has Windows 11. At first I thought it was because of certain hotkeys I forgot to change. But recently this has been happening very often and I've searched online many times for a fix with no luck. I'm getting very frustrated, this whole thing...
  5. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  6. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  7. Program refusing to lose focus.

Program refusing to lose focus.: Hello, I run a small business, we have a pc for receiving orders. We have 2 main programs running, lets say A and B. When an order is received at program A and program B is on focus, the B should normally minimize as the A comes to foreground notifying for the new order. The...
  8. Is it possible to prevent full screen applications from minimizing when they lose focus?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to prevent full screen applications from minimizing when they lose focus?: I use a dual monitor setup, and would like to dedicate one monitor to display applications in full screen mode, while using the other to manage other applications I'm using. I would expect that an application being used in full screen mode should should take priority of...
  9. Losing focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing focus: Hello, I have an annoying bug that i could not find an answer for. When i click on de navigation bar in the explorer, First it turns blue what is normal but then it loses his focus somehow. When I open notepad and click inside, the focus switches on and off. When i click on...
  10. Active Window Loses Focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Active Window Loses Focus: Without any mouse action or keyboard action, the currently active window loses focus to another program. This happens about once a day. The newly active window is always the same program. Prior to the last few weeks, I've had no problems with this stealing focus program. I've...