Windows 10: Applications crash during file open dialogs

Discus and support Applications crash during file open dialogs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows10 Home Version 10.0.17134 In Chrome and in Cybershot PowerDirector17 (a video editor application), when I try to change a path (switch from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FredPeachman, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Applications crash during file open dialogs

Windows10 Home

Version 10.0.17134

In Chrome and in Cybershot PowerDirector17 (a video editor application), when I try to change a path (switch from one directory to another) in a file open dialog, the application crashes. It's so bad I don't use Chrome (Liking Edge a lot) but I can't do without the video editor so I need to find an answer on how to prevent this from happening. Curiously, the problem does not happen when using file dialogs in Edge, nor in the majority of applications on my PC. It's really just these 2 apps. Would appreciate any suggestions.

:)

FredPeachman, Mar 17, 2019

2. File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

Ever since the Windows 10 Creators Update installed itself onto my computer, whenever I try and use the File Open/Save dialog, the application that I am using it within will crash.

For example, if I want to attach a file to an email, Chrome will crash. If I want to open an image in Paint, Paint will crash. If I've spent a couple of hours in Microsoft Word writing a new resume and then go to save it, Word will crash (yes, this happened).

I downloaded a program called DebugDiag 2, and used it to track MS Paint while I caused the application to crash. I was given 2 exception ID's:

0XC000001D

0XC000041D

The File Open/Save dialog won't cause Edge to crash, nor will it cause Firefox to crash. I compared the dialog in Edge with the one shown in Firefox, to see if there are some shortcut that Firefox isn't loading, that other applications might be trying to
    load, and it's causing them to crash. The 2 that I noticed are "Camera" and "Photos". The Camera shortcut tries to open my camera (of which I don't have one), and the Photo's one tries to connect to some online service, that I haven't set up. So these two
    shortcuts could very well be what is causing other applications to crash.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me?

Thanks,

Luke

Edit:

I have just opened MS Paint as Administrator, and I was able to use the File Open/Save dialog perfectly fine! Obviously that's not a fix, but it's interesting to know

Edit 2:

I have noticed that when I first sign in, if I open up MS Paint and then use the File Open/Save dialog to try and open a file, it will pop up correctly, as expected. However, after around 30 seconds of the computer being turned on, the dialog will then make
    the computer crash

Final Edit:

It turns out that in my case, the crashing was being caused by another application I had installed, Bins. Exiting that and disabling it from starting with Windows has fixed the problem

LukeDenton, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Denno Win User
    File Open/Save Dialog causing applications to crash

Seemingly ever since the Windows 10 Creators Update installed itself on my computer, I've been having issues when using the File Open/Save dialog. If I try and open a file, save a file, or upload a file to attach to an email, the application that I'm using will crash (whether it's Chrome, Word, Paint etc). Edge, however, works fine and weirdly, Firefox also works fine.

I have been doing some debugging, trying to figure out what it could be, but I'm running out of things to try.

I've tried the following:

• Resetting folder views to default
    • Enabling "Show all Folders" in Folder View Settings
    • Starting computer in safe mode (where the dialog would work just fine)

I have also run some tests using MS Paint. I downloaded an application called DebugDiag 2, and had that watch the mspaint process to capture the exceptions thrown when the application would crash. These are the ID's of those exceptions:

• 0XC000001D
    • 0XC000041D

Still using MS Paint as my test application, if I ran it as an adminstrator, I was able to use the File Open/Save dialog perfectly fine, but closing the application then reopening as a normal user would then end with the application crashing upon trying to open a file.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I first sign into Windows, I have about 30 seconds where I can open MS Paint, and be able to use the File Open/Save dialog just fine. After that time, if I close the dialog and then try to use it again, the application will crash.

I've read online that this issue is sometimes caused by the File Open/Save dialog trying to show a folder that no longer exists, or is on an unreachable network drive. So with that in mind, I have restarted my computer (getting that 30 seconds of grace when I first sign in) to be able to open MS Paint, and save a new file to my downloads folder, in the hopes that it would update the "last used folder". Unfortunately, this didn't solve the issue.

Is there anything else I can try?

Denno, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Applications crash during file open dialogs

File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

I too am having the same problem after Creator Update, I tried the troubleshooting steps above to no avail. Everything on my machine is up-to-date. Trying to Open a File dialog window crashes, Chrome,
    snipping tool, Notepad etc..CTRL - O crashes the mentioned apps thus far..

Henok Girma, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

Applications crash during file open dialogs

1. Applications crash during file open dialogs - Similar Threads - Applications crash during

2. The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.: I recently had an issue where a user couldn't delete a file because it was open. The "open file" dialog typically says what user has the file open, but this time it did not. Is there a reason why it wouldn't show who had the file open? The end user wants to know what we can...
  3. The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.: I recently had an issue where a user couldn't delete a file because it was open. The "open file" dialog typically says what user has the file open, but this time it did not. Is there a reason why it wouldn't show who had the file open? The end user wants to know what we can...
  4. Windows applications file dialog file type filtering is infuriating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows applications file dialog file type filtering is infuriating: This issue has been posed many times here and I have not found a satisfactory answer. Then all of the threads are locked. Having just switched to windows from macOS I am finding windows explorer to be very lacking. One such issue is the behavior in all open and save dialogs,...
  5. Windows applications file dialog file type filtering is infuriating

Windows applications file dialog file type filtering is infuriating: This issue has been posed many times here and I have not found a satisfactory answer. Then all of the threads are locked. Having just switched to windows from macOS I am finding windows explorer to be very lacking. One such issue is the behavior in all open and save dialogs,...
  6. File open dialog customization

File open dialog customization: I have a large Quick Access list and a lot of folders on my drive. When I open a file, my Quick Access does not show up unless I collapse the desktop icon. Is there any way to set it so the Desktop is collapsed unless I click on it? I have Excel and Word 2010 on Windows 10...
  7. File Open Dialog Box Issues

File Open Dialog Box Issues: Since today I've noticed that the Windows file open dialog box crashes the app calling it. For example, I use Soundforge Pro 11 and if I click the icon or the menu item for file open, the dialog appears followed by an error message from the application saying the program has...
  8. Crashes during GPU intensive applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashes during GPU intensive applications: Hi everyone, I recently built a new system (specs see profile description) and have been having problems during gaming and video editing. I have a feeling it has something to do with my GPU, but I will let you guys be the judge of that :) I don't get a BSOD like I used to...
  9. Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing

Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing: I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then launch for example Notepad...
  10. Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving)

in Windows 10 Support
    Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving): I first noticed this in Chrome, thinking it was an issue with Chrome 57 (I couldn't attach files to emails because when I clicked to choose my file, Chrome would just crash). I've since noticed that it is a Windows issue after I tried to save a Photoshop image that I had...