Windows 10: Applications open as background process and take time to launch

Discus and support Applications open as background process and take time to launch in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Certain apps initially run as background apps and take longer than usual to appear in the foreground, This is also starting to cause issues for system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Treetop_, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Treetop_ Win User

Applications open as background process and take time to launch

Certain apps initially run as background apps and take longer than usual to appear in the foreground, This is also starting to cause issues for system apps such as windows explorer which when signing in cannot open and then crashes and reopens several times before staying stable. This started happening after a restart and a few apps getting updates, yet the issue could have still started earlier before the restart because some apps started taking a while to load. So far I have tried reinstalling Windows, uninstalling applications that could cause issues, deleting temporary files, defragmenting

:)

Treetop_, Sep 21, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Applications open as background process and take time to launch after installing May update

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that when you launch applications after installing the May update, the programs open as background process and take time to open, we will look into this for you. However, please reply with the following details to assist you with the appropriate
    troubleshooting steps:

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which update was installed on the computer? To check go to
      Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View update history.

We can try performing a clean boot on the computer and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However,
    that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue then, please refer to the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to check which program is causing the issue.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 21, 2022
  3. JimboCZ Win User
    Applications open as background process and take time to launch after installing May update

I installed the big May update recently. Ever since, whenever I reboot and then try to launch certain apps (web browsers, Adobe apps, Spotify--pretty much any sizeable app), it appears as if those apps aren't launching, and Windows is just sitting there
    doing nothing. But if I open Task Manager and look at the Processes tab (sorted by Name), the apps I've tried to launch show up under the "Background processes" section, instead of the expected "Apps (x)" section. If I wait about a minute or more, the apps
    I've tried to launch suddenly come screaming to life all at once. If I'd clicked on an app launcher multiple times while waiting, then multiple instances of that app come to life. What gives? I never had this problem before the update, and my machine is beefy,
    so speed has always been fine. I've Googled this, have found nothing. (cross-posted)

***Modified title from: after the May update, whenever I reboot and then try to launch most apps, they open as background processes / hidden ***

JimboCZ, Sep 21, 2022
  4. Applications open as background process and take time to launch

Windows Applications Stating as Background Process not as Windowed Applications

Hi Les,

It happens that your current user profile has a different treatment to your applications.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution for your concerns with your applications, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Do you have a third-party application that minimizes applications as a background process?
    • How does these applications get included to your background processes?
    • What are these applications?
    • Do they have a settings of full screen mode?

In addition, we recommend performing a full system scan for your computer to see if there are viruses, malware, malicious programs or script that prevents your computer to work properly. To do this, follow these steps:

Step #1: Perform a full system scan.

• Press Windows + S to open Search Box.
    • Type Windows Defender, then click it.
    • In Home tab, select Full under
      Scan options
    • Click Scan now to begin the thorough scanning of your computer.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    • If there are any findings, send us the results through screenshot.
    • Before closing the application, make sure that Windows Defender is always turned on.

Step #2: Set a schedule on
    Windows Defender to perform periodic scans. Visit this link:
    Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus
    to know how to set scan schedules for your computer.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Sep 21, 2022
Thema:

Applications open as background process and take time to launch

1. Applications open as background process and take time to launch - Similar Threads - Applications open background

2. Applications take long time to install/open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications take long time to install/open: I have fresh windows on fresh very powerful computer so this shouldn't be the case but trying to open any installer of any app takes forever like 5 minutes and applications are sluggish to open. Idle resources are low meaning that there is nothing slowing down the computer....
  3. Applications take long time to install/open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications take long time to install/open: I have fresh windows on fresh very powerful computer so this shouldn't be the case but trying to open any installer of any app takes forever like 5 minutes and applications are sluggish to open. Idle resources are low meaning that there is nothing slowing down the computer....
  4. Applications open as background process and take time to launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications open as background process and take time to launch: Certain apps initially run as background apps and take longer than usual to appear in the foreground, This is also starting to cause issues for system apps such as windows explorer which when signing in cannot open and then crashes and reopens several times before staying...
  5. Applications open as background process and take time to launch

Applications open as background process and take time to launch: Certain apps initially run as background apps and take longer than usual to appear in the foreground, This is also starting to cause issues for system apps such as windows explorer which when signing in cannot open and then crashes and reopens several times before staying...
  6. Application turned into a background process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application turned into a background process: Application to run when the UI interface disappeared, turned into a background process. This is what reason, how to make this phenomenon will not happen?...
  7. Application turned into a background process

Application turned into a background process: Application to run when the UI interface disappeared, turned into a background process. This is what reason, how to make this phenomenon will not happen?...
  8. Application turned into a background process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Application running as a background process.

Application running as a background process.: I am trying to use JDA Space Planning Plus. Yesterday it was working just fine, then a random restart on my Windows 10 PC happened. Now when I try to run the program, no window opens. When I open the task manager, it is taking up significant CPU and memory running as a...
  10. Applications taking time to load

Applications taking time to load: I just restored my $3k Dell AIO and it still doesn’t work right. Chrome takes forever to launch but not Edge. Went through all troubleshooting tips. Installed MineCraft and same thing, does nothing for a couple minutes before launching. As I said I’ve just restored Windows....