Windows 10: Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar

Discus and support Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On my laptop, I asked for a Norton Live Update. Patch applied, failed, message to reset to restore product. Now the laptop will display only on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dezeeuw3 Little Bears, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar

On my laptop, I asked for a Norton Live Update. Patch applied, failed, message to reset to restore product. Now the laptop will display only on an external monitor (laptop display gives only a grey screen), and applications when opened show as tiny screens underneath their icons on the taskbar. I can't work with them at all. Unfortunately the Windows 10 Settings application goes the same way. The Windows menu on the lefthand side of the screen opens normally. I was able to access and resize Word via this route. All of my desktop icons vanished, and the taskbar itself is missing items. I tried restoring the laptop to what it was on July 21, 2018, via the Windows 10 restore function (USB), but no difference. The problem must be in the display settings, but how can I make these tiny screens open into normal screens so I can work with them? I've tried maximizing when that's an option (right clicking on icons) but no luck.

:)

dezeeuw3 Little Bears, Jul 25, 2018
  2. lx07 Win User

Taskbar at top of screen - Some apps' title-bars open UNDERNEATH

I only get it with apps that were previously using the space the taskbar was going to use before it was moved to the top. For example with HWMonitor put it to the top of screen when task bar is at bottom:

Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar [​IMG]

Close app and then move taskbar to top

Open HWMonitor and it remembers its old position (the top is hidden under the taskbar)

Resize (here I just made it narrower) and the top jumps so it is no longer under the taskbar and will not go under it again.

So perhaps moving the taskbar like you are is perpetuating the problem.

Try making your app not full screen and in the middle of the screen. Close it then move taskbar to top. Then open your app again.

Interestingly the taskbar properties box goes over the taskbar if taskbar is at the top and under it if the taskbar is at the bottom but that is another story...

3. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Taskbar at top of screen - Some apps' title-bars open UNDERNEATH

Hi guys,

I was tweaking to get the best results, because I wanted my Windows 10 to be more like my macOS desktop too. This is what I got:

1. Arrangements of my 3-monitor setup:

2. The looks in a 3-screen capture:

- left top = Windows 10 in VM
    - right top and bottom = macOS 10.10.5

3. Tweak for applications that won't auto adjust to the taskbar position at the top. Manually set this (only needed
    once)

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Jul 25, 2018
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar

1. Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar - Similar Threads - Applications open tiny

2. Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Applications Icon on the Taskbar: I'm trying to change an applications icon. I've tried changing the icon for the shortcut, but when the application loads, it's using the old icon. How do I get Windows to show the new icon on the Taskbar?...
  3. Taskbar missing open application icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar missing open application icons.: Hi,I have a windows 11 23H2with multiply displays. I have quite frequent issue, that icons in taskbar are missing from open applications. Check picture below.It is quite annoying, as I have to click on it to see what app it is or I am looking for. I believe I had same issue...
  4. Taskbar missing open application icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar missing open application icons.: Hi,I have a windows 11 23H2with multiply displays. I have quite frequent issue, that icons in taskbar are missing from open applications. Check picture below.It is quite annoying, as I have to click on it to see what app it is or I am looking for. I believe I had same issue...
  5. Application windows open in tiny windows, and in random places

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application windows open in tiny windows, and in random places: Windows 10, HP Elitebook, HP dock, 2 extended monitors.When I launch a new application window--Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Edge, or 3rd party apps like M-Files--it seems to open to a random size, usually unusably tiny. So when I launch Word for example, I then have to manually...
  6. white line underneath taskbar

white line underneath taskbar: ive recently got a oled tv as my monitor ,and due to the potential for burn in. i have set black as solid colour on background ,taskbar grey cannot have black but im getting a small white line below taskbar .sometimes it will disappear sometimes not if im using...
  7. Bug: Tiny Taskbar Icons - Windows 10

Bug: Tiny Taskbar Icons - Windows 10: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 on a MS Surface Pro as a company provided device for work. I pin a lot of icons to the taskbar and use the option 'Use small taskbar buttons'. When that works fine, it's great, but recently the taskbar icons have been tiny! (example below)...
  8. Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications: I have been using Windows 10 successfully on my HP laptop since I bought it, and in particular clicking on the taskbar icons to switch between open applications. Sometime yesterday evening, for no apparent reason, this facility has ceased to work. Having found previous...
  9. Taskbar at top of screen - Some apps' title-bars open UNDERNEATH

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar at top of screen - Some apps' title-bars open UNDERNEATH: First post: hope it's in the right category... Just as the description states; I am using a Mac-style dock at the bottom of my WinX desktop and therefore have my taskbar located at the top of the screen. I am having an irritating issue from time-to-time, with the...
  10. Tiny icons in Start screen tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Tiny icons in Start screen tiles: I was trying to figure out why the Start screen looked odd--and then I noticed the app icons in the tiles are about 1/3 the size they were in Windows 8, so you've got (for example), a tiny W for Word in Windows 10 vs a more visible W in Windows 8.1. Only appears to apply to...