Windows 10: AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

Discus and support AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Community, We have been experiencing a problem with AppLocker GPOs in a Windows 10 Environment. The Domain functionality level is: Server 2012R2... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jason Buhagiar, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

Hi Community,

We have been experiencing a problem with AppLocker GPOs in a Windows 10 Environment.

The Domain functionality level is: Server 2012R2

Domain Controllers are running: Windows Server 2016

Workstations are running: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 17134

We have 2 GPOs; one containing DLL AppLocker Rules and one containing EXE, Script, Appx etc.. Rules.

When running a gpupdate /force on an affected workstation and getting the gpresult the GPOs appear to be applied and are marked as winning however the contents of C:\Windows\system32\Applocker files are not being updated and recent rules added to both GPOs are not being applied. i.e. a new application which has been whitelisted will not run for the user albeit being specified in the applied GPO.

Can someone please shed some light into this issue?

Help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jason

:)

Jason Buhagiar, Feb 4, 2019
  2. JiriOlsar Win User

Start menu/ms-settings not working Windows 10

Yes I can see that, but I'm running Windows 10 Home edition.

To terminate AppLocker rule enforcement

• Backup the Group Policy Object (GPO) that contains the currently applied AppLocker rules.

• Delete all the AppLocker rules on that GPO. For steps how to do this, see the topics in

AppLocker Policy Procedures

• Push out the GPO that now contains the empty AppLocker policy to the affected client computers. For steps how to do this, see

Refresh an AppLocker Policy

• Disable the AppLocker service (appidsvc) on all the affected client computers. Optionally, you can restart the service. For steps how to do this, see

Configure the Application Identity Service
      . Alternatively, you can disable the AppLocker service using Group Policy instead of locally.

• Optionally, if you want to update the computers with another set of AppLocker rules (and the service has been enabled), you force a Group Policy update for the revised AppLocker policy. For steps how to do this, see

Refresh an AppLocker Policy

There is no Group policy object editor available here. Also
    AppIDSvc
    is stopped and can't be manually started. Error: "The operation could not be completed. The dependency service or group failed to start" due to fact, that AppLocker is not available in Home and Pro edition.

So why is it blocking the reinstallation, I don't know?

JiriOlsar, Feb 4, 2019
  3. chisle Win User
    Applocker not blocking -- Win10Pro, Applocker configured, AppIDsvc run

• Applocker: configured blocking of apps and executables
    • Applocker rules: set to enforcing
    • Service: AppIDSvc is running

I've been trying to get Edge and a couple other utilities blocked on the laptop to keep distractions to a minimum for my child who uses the computer to study.
    However, even after rules are defined, and they are set to enforcing as blocked, the apps and executables are still available to them -- even after a reboot.

I have followed the instructions here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
    However, there is still no blocking of the apps or the executables.
    Thank you for your consideration.

chisle, Feb 4, 2019
  4. AvanadeR Win User

AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

AppLocker FileHash

Hi All,

I have an issue which I can't find a proper solution for. I'm using AppLocker in an environment which also contains a SIEM solution. What I want to forward to the SIEM solution is 'blocked applications by AppLocker'. The issue is that I don't have enough
    information from the standard events. There's a filename, location etc. but what I really would like is a hash of the file which is blocked. So if mimikatz is renamed to client.exe and run in C:\Temp I can use the hash to see if it's malicious.

There's an "audit-mode" option in AppLocker which logs the fileHash, but then it doesn't block the application since it's auditing only. I can't create two GPO's which one GPO is set to enforced and the other to audit, because enforced takes precedence over
    the audit and no audit gets logged.

How do I get the hash of the file and AppLocker to work at the same time?

I know the "fileHash" property in AppLocker is an Authenticode Hash of the file and I can't get my head around why Microsoft doesn't log a SHA hash for every blocked application.

With kind regards,

AvanadeR, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

1. AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced - Similar Threads - AppLocker GPOs marked

2. Apply local firewall rules

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apply local firewall rules: Hi We have a group policy and what it does is it allows local firewall rules for public and private profile.How do I do this via Intune?I attached an image.RegardsShaun...
  3. Apply local firewall rules

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apply local firewall rules: Hi We have a group policy and what it does is it allows local firewall rules for public and private profile.How do I do this via Intune?I attached an image.RegardsShaun...
  4. Apply local firewall rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Firewall Rules don't apply

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall Rules don't apply: Hi. Recently, I needed to foward some ports. I attempted to add a new rule to Windows Firewall, and it didn't seem to open the port. I then tried to close a port. Didn't work either. During both of these, I turned off my router firewall. All the services are running. Help...
  6. Applocker policy applied but not working

Applocker policy applied but not working: Hi,I created an applocker policy using default rules to test before applying to production. Enforcement is set to Enforce Rules. Application Identity service is also enabled from the policy.On windows 10 client GPRESULT shows the policy was applied and the Application...
  7. Applocker problem with "packaged app" rules in update 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applocker problem with "packaged app" rules in update 2004: Looks like applocker does not respect "packaged app" rules in update 2004 anymore! Changed it to audit only for now but this will be a security problem. I had this set to signed by Microsoft. But everything got blocked. All windows native apps were blocked too. Looking...
  8. Delete AppLocker Rule in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete AppLocker Rule in Windows 10: How to: Delete AppLocker Rule in Windows 10 How to Delete an AppLocker Rule in Windows 10 AppLocker advances the app control features and functionality of Software Restriction Policies. AppLocker contains new capabilities and extensions that allow you to create rules to...
  9. Export and Import AppLocker Policy for Rules in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import AppLocker Policy for Rules in Windows 10: How to: Export and Import AppLocker Policy for Rules in Windows 10 How to Export and Import AppLocker Policy for Rules in Windows 10 AppLocker advances the app control features and functionality of Software Restriction Policies. AppLocker contains new capabilities and...
  10. firewall alerts even with advanced rules applied

firewall alerts even with advanced rules applied: I use Windows Firewall with advanced rules applied (such as remote desktop & ftp server ports, etc.). I am getting daily notifications that my firewall "is in an unsafe configuration and is being managed by your system administrator", but when I open WF with Advanced Security...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. applocker packaged app-execution blocks all when enforced

2. users takes precedence in applocker than computer

3. applocker rules gpupdate /force

4. applocker rules not being enforced,
  5. applocker policy updates not leading when running gpupdate,
  6. applocker not enforcing server 2016,
  7. app locker not getting enforced windows 10