Windows 10: apply list view to only all subfolders

Discus and support apply list view to only all subfolders in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually. 36806 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jerry Delacruz, Jan 8, 2016.

1. apply list view to only all subfolders

How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually.

:)

Jerry Delacruz, Jan 8, 2016
  2. Vizal Win User

Apply library's view settings to subfolders

Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 14393.321 and unlike Windows 7, library's view do not apply to subfolders anymore...

I have it set so: group by: modification date; sort by: type; view type: large icons.

However, the subfolders follow only the view for which the specific library was originally optimized for.

The option to apply folder's settings to subfolders in folder options is greyed out.

Please, tell me how do I apply my library's view settings to subfolders.

And please NO sfc /scannow reply. It's useless and never helps.

Thanks in advance.

Vizal, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Apply library's view settings to subfolders

Hello,

To better help you with your concern, kindly send us a screenshot of the folder option that is
    grayed out.

Looking forward to your response.

Jamille Nar, Jan 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

apply list view to only all subfolders

Brink, Jan 8, 2016
  5. So it can't be done. That's a good answer because it will save me time from trying to find out how it could have been done. It's surprising that this can't be done though because when working with files you will need a different view depending upon the task you are doing, i.e., "icon" view when looking or comparing photos and "list" view when sorting the date or name. You would also only want to alter the view for the current folder and subfolder your working in rather than every similer "type" of file on your drive. As I recall, though, this was possible in DOS, but the available "views" was very limited. HAHA.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not that I'm aware of in File Explorer.

Brink, Jan 8, 2016
  7. the command was "c: List/**" with the fields you wanted displayed. To establish it for daughter folders was set list, I believe. But it's all way, way in the past now. There was no "explorer" then.

8. KeithM Win User

What you want can be done with Registry edits. The capability has been around since XP:

It's barely implemented in the UI via Folder Properties -> Customize tab -> "Also apply this template to all subfolders". This creates the "Inherit" key. But it only has a value for FolderType, and that simply refers back to whatever defaults you've set for each folder template via "Apply to folders"

apply list view to only all subfolders [​IMG]

But Explorer looks for more. It looks for an Inherit key under the GUID key. This is from a Procmon log:

16:08:42.2022498 Explorer.EXE 4444 RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\55\Shell\{5C4F28B5-F869-4E84-8E60-F11DB97C5CC7}\Inherit NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read

But if you create that key, Explorer will look for all same values in a saved view.

apply list view to only all subfolders [​IMG]

Keith

KeithM, Jan 9, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    How far in the past? In Windows 3.1 it was File Manager which became Windows Explorer in Windows 95 and Directories became Folders. It changed to File Explorer in Windows 8 and later. DOS didn't have much in the way of a GUI/Grapical User Interface but little programs like HDM/Hard Disk Menu helped quite a bit.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. apply list view to only all subfolders - Similar Threads - apply list view

2. List of Only Folders and Subfolders with Date and Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    List of Only Folders and Subfolders with Date and Time: I want a complete path of directories and subdirectories only with no files. For example, my file and path might be:D:\Parent_Directory\Sub_Directory\My_File.txtI want:D:\Parent_Directory\Sub_Directory\ mm/dd/yyyy 00:00am/pm...
  3. How to apply folder column Length and # to all subfolders ONLY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to apply folder column Length and # to all subfolders ONLY: I'd like to apply "#" and "Length" columns to every subfolder inside of my Music folder. Not system wide. Is there anyway possible to do this quickly without manually editing hundreds of folders?Please don't copypasta the troll "Folder Options>Apply to folders" which applies...
  4. How to apply folder column Length and # to all subfolders ONLY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to apply folder column Length and # to all subfolders ONLY: I'd like to apply "#" and "Length" columns to every subfolder inside of my Music folder. Not system wide. Is there anyway possible to do this quickly without manually editing hundreds of folders?Please don't copypasta the troll "Folder Options>Apply to folders" which applies...
  5. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  6. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  7. Changing to List View but Apply to All Folders is grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing to List View but Apply to All Folders is grayed out: Since XP, I've been able to change my folder view then click on Apply to All Folders. This seems buggy in Windows 10 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-to-list-view-but-apply-to-all-folders-is/1fee229d-6335-4009-bcbb-55b3f8ca8911"
  8. Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup: I'd like to have my music albums and movies in folders with 8-10 columns for every folder, like 500 folders with sub-sub-sub folders if you know what I mean. I need to apply manually these 8-10 columns for each folder I want to have it the way I want, and then if something...
  9. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  10. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. apply list view to all sub folders

2. how to apply folder view to all subfolders